Vacation Tips

Options
How does everyone keep their motivation on vacation?

Replies

• clrug0912
    clrug0912 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Anyone... bueller... :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Move! Walk, swim, do active things. Don't drive yourself nuts over what you eat, but make up for it by moving as much as possible.
  • Kathrynha77
    Kathrynha77 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Depends on the type of holiday.

My drinking friends tend to go for the save up the day time points by having a fruit breakfast and salad lunch, then enjoy the evening.
    I tend to go for the more activity (walking and swimming) to compensate the extra eating method.

• clrug0912
    Options
    thanks! I have all the intentions in the world of getting up and hitting the gym or working out outside. Just hope I can keep the motivation.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Stay active with walks, bike rides etc.

Enjoy the food and drink.

Get back to eating at calorie goal when I'm back home.
  • deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    It all depends on the type of vacation. We tend to cruise a lot so I keep hydrated and do lots of walking. But when it comes to meals I start with fruit or salad then keep the high fat things to a minimum. If we rent a beach house or mountain cabin then im in control of the meals so it is like any other day except I tend to drink a bit more than when im at home
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it to the fullest.

And then get back to normal when I come back.
  • neela2015
    neela2015 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just got back from holidays and I felt a bit gross from all the over indulging. My advice is not to think of it as a free for all. Next time I'm going to pack some healthy snacks for the beach instead of eating from the shacks. Also I would avoid fruit other than apples and drink lower cal alcohol. Have fun!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    On vacations I do what I love. Weight training is one of those activities that gets done while on vacation.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    have fun and be active. I found I'm more active on my vacations so I worry less about what I eat. and enjoy myself. I will normally get a fish or chicken with veggies, but sometimes a breaded pork chop, or alfredo, or smothered steak with garlic bread is just too good to pass up.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Since I run, I enjoy finding cool places to run while on vacation. It's fun to see a new location, and it's a little "me" time before the kiddos get up.
  • clrug0912
    Options
    thanks everyone!! these are helping!
  • clrug0912
    Options
    I'm also hoping my husband will run and workout with me so I don't feel so alone. Either way, at run at the beach isn't anything to not be happy about, right?
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm on the last day of vacation and I use pool time to get some exercise. Run the stairs wherever you go. Pack healthy snacks for the hotel and your purse ;). I looked up nutrition facts of places I knew we'd eat at ahead of time to make wiser choices and made a note in my phone. Other than that I did the best I could and plan to get back on track at home. Breakfast every morning I planned to eat a yogurt from home and a quest bar or healthy egg sandwich from Starbucks, but I just did the free breakfast every morning and skipped snacks (never at home but being busy I didn't miss them).
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I will be swimming and walking as much as I can when I go away to Lanzorte but wont be "working out" I usually don't eat much during the day with the heat too which helps keep cals for a nice dinner and the drinks later :)
  • clrug0912
    Options
    Great thoughts girls. I went last week too and that's what has me freaking out. I just lost what I gained then. I was completely lazy and drank some heavier drinks. Michelob Ultra and some kind of activity this time around though lol
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    how long is said vacation? 2-3 days? skip working out if you want, maybe get one workout in if you'd like. try to eat right, but indulge if you choose.

4-7 days? i recommend trying to exercise every other day if you're staying at a resort. if you go on excursions and stuff, even better! be a little more mindful of your meals and alcohol intake, as it can get out of hand!

more than a week? be really mindful of what you eat and exercise often.
  • njfitnessmom
    njfitnessmom Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I just got back from an 8 day cruise to Bermuda and I didn't gain anything. I hit the gym the first day but that was it. I did make sure to stay active when we were touring the island, lots of walking and hiking. I made sure when I got home I got right back on track to my workout schedule and healthy eating habits.