Hearty and filling whole grain bread?

Options
Robbnva
Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
I love sandwiches but 1 doesn't usually fill me up and I need help looking for a a bread that's going to fill me up, that's also whole grain, and most importantly tastes good.

Thanks

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I never really found one I liked until I began making it myself, but the Arnold sandwich thins came closest to good, IMO.
  • tatumlohse1
    tatumlohse1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel bread is great when toasted! Very yummy and filling :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Robbnva wrote: »
    I love sandwiches but 1 doesn't usually fill me up and I need help looking for a a bread that's going to fill me up, that's also whole grain, and most importantly tastes good.

Thanks

I am a big fan of the Brownberry breads. Other places in the country have the same breads under the brand name "OroWheat" (I heard that the parent company recently also bought Arnolds). My personal favorites are the Double Fiber and the Double Protein. Great macros and they are tasty and filling. They are also not seedy which is perfect for sandwiches.

• Robbnva
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I never really found one I liked until I began making it myself, but the Arnold sandwich thins came closest to good, IMO.

Too thin, I'd definitely have to eat 2
  • Robbnva
    edited July 2015
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Thanks

I am a big fan of the Brownberry breads. Other places in the country have the same breads under the brand name "OroWheat" (I heard that the parent company recently also bought Arnolds). My personal favorites are the Double Fiber and the Double Protein. Great macros and they are tasty and filling. They are also not seedy which is perfect for sandwiches.

I'll have to look it up, thanks

I'd love to make my own bread but no chance I could do that.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Thanks

I used to but there were 2 problems: 1) I could't get the macros as good as commercial breads, and 2) the smell and taste of bread fresh out of the oven is too good to resist. Half the loaf would be gone before it totally cooled.

• bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    When it goes on sale I love Peppridge farms whole wheat oatmeal bread. It has great fiber and protein and isn't dry like some wheat bread. Very good toasted with pb and honey before a workout :)
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Why not just add more bulky fillings to fill you up, rather than counting on the bread to do it?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Thanks

Of course you could! Sandwich bread is really, really easy! It's healthy, tastes oh-so-much better than store-bought and makes the kitchen small nice.

I'm not saying that you should! Just that it's easy. So, if you want to try you should. :)
  • Robbnva
    Options

Thanks

I used to but there were 2 problems: 1) I could't get the macros as good as commercial breads, and 2) the smell and taste of bread fresh out of the oven is too good to resist. Half the loaf would be gone before it totally cooled.

1. Don't worry so much about the macros
    2. Can't blame you there
  • Robbnva
    Options
    stfuriada wrote: »
    Why not just add more bulky fillings to fill you up, rather than counting on the bread to do it?

What can I add to peanut butter and jelly?

Lettuce and tomato on a ham or turkey sandwich doesn't do much for me either
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    stfuriada wrote: »

What can I add to peanut butter and jelly?

Lettuce and tomato on a ham or turkey sandwich doesn't do much for me either

Eat a sandwich with an apple on the side, apples are pretty filling for the amount of calories it has.
  • Robbnva
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Thanks

Of course you could! Sandwich bread is really, really easy! It's healthy, tastes oh-so-much better than store-bought and makes the kitchen small nice.

I'm not saying that you should! Just that it's easy. So, if you want to try you should. :)

Recipe?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I agree with getting the bulk somewhere else. For a substantial bread with the bulk and lower calories, get a bread with more fiber. Try Silver Hills Little Big bread.

Double up on the ham and turkey, and add as much lettuce/sprouts as will fit.

Can't help it; peanut butter and jelly will be a skinny sandwich. You might try it with laughing cow for a different combo taste. Not everyone's cup of tea.

Then combo your sandwich with a big salad, a bowl of soup, watermelon, or a bag of air popped popcorn. There. Bulk.

If you are packing your lunch with no access to refrigeration or a microwave, pack your bulk in a mason jar. There are cold soups, too. You might try a cold borscht. You may replace the sour cream with Greek yogurt for lower fat/higher protein.
  • amyj514
    amyj514 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Pepperidge Farm has a whole line of whole grain breads that I am in love with. The 15 Grain, Ancient Grains, and German Dark Wheat seem especially hearty to me, but I also really like the Oatmeal.
  • Robbnva
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • kshengst
    kshengst Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Love a good sprouted bread. Alvarado St, has a nice one. Perfect for grilled cheese, peanut butter and jelly or a plain cold cut sandwich. Not too thin, not too thick.
  • blb85
    blb85 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Important thing is to look for bread with the first ingredient reading "Whole Grains" if it says anything about flour, it's not a whole grain bread. How about mixing it up and instead of jelly, adding banana to it? Or even switching from peanut butter to almond butter? Or maybe making egg salad or tuna fish for a different sandwich variation (if you don't want deli meats).