I sprained my foot badly, any exercises I can do in the mean

Options
I walk, I run, I bike, I use my feet A LOT. Last night when I was with my friend, I slipped and fell and really hurt my foot. Basically, it really hurts to walk on it and if this continues throughout the week I'm going to need to change my exercise regimen. What exercises can I do without using my feet?

Replies

• bacarter18
    bacarter18 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    that sucks :( and i know the feeling! JUST DONT GIVE UP! i have shin splints in one leg and am trying to rest it, but its frustrating... when you've been walking and running and exercising so well! then an injury happens :(

I would recommend just working on your upper body for now, as other people recommended for me... weights or even punches (like kickboxing, minus the lower body part!), abs. I know it sucks, but you just have to take it easy and allow your foot to heal :( good luck!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Be sure to have it checked. My husband fell and hurt his ankle, and what he thought was a sprain was actually a partially torn achilles tendon AND a fractured heel. About 10 weeks in a big awkward walking boot. You don't want to make it worse by exercising on it.

But swimming could be a great option.
  • DKev
    DKev Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    You can get some good cardio in, without using your feet/legs by throwing punches. May sound kinda weird but it works!
  • AMKAG
    AMKAG Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Swim, put a pull bouey between your legs. don't kick. just drag, great upper bpdy work out. Also good physiical therapy for your ankle as it gentley stretches and massages the ankle.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, except mine's in my knee:grumble: It's been a whole week and I finally can limp on it but it's been so hard not to be able to be burning all those calories that I had been and being patient for it to heal! So, what I've been doing is punching my punching bag and doing lots of crunches and seated dumb bells. Hope it heals up quickly for you! I totally rolled and sprained my ankle a couple summer ago and I was surprised how quickly I was back on my feet, although it hurt so bad I couldn't walk on it at all for a few days. Take it easy and don't over-do it so it will heal faster!
  • Dellonious1
    Dellonious1 Posts: 209
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your foot. I was getting up from my couch back in January and broke my rt foot. It turned all black it was sick to look at. Today 4 months later I find I cant do many exercises. Cant do jumping jacks, ride a bike among other things, Doctor said it may never heal. I just do what I can and stop when it bothers me...
    Hope yours heals better than mine...Take it easy and don't over do it..
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Feeling your pain as I sit here in an air cast for a stress fracture. :( I've been doing upper body resistance band workouts and core. Will be trying the punches only kickboxing. So bummed out.
  • bethy73
    bethy73 Posts: 39
    Options
    Ouch! Hopefully you'll feel better quickly! :flowerforyou:

I'm in a wheelchair and don't have the use of my lower extremities at all, so my workouts are limited to my upper body. Do you have a Wii? I work out every day with my Wii. I have Wii Sports, Wii Sport Resort, EA Active [I do the upper body workout], and you'll probably laugh at this one, but I also use Cooking Mama. That may sound silly, but you have to use your upper body a lot to do chopping, peeling, kneading, stirring, etc. all against the clock and I find myself out of breath and sometimes even breaking a sweat! It's even more challenging if you are playing the 2 player game because then you are competing against someone else to try to get done in an even quicker time. I also just ordered in a new application [I think it's called Your Workout or something like that] that's supposed to come with a camera that hooks into the Wii console and is supposed to detect your motions and stuff so that the controllers are unnecessary. I'm looking forward to getting that one.

If you don't have a Wii, I was doing some research online and found that certain things like folding laundry and washing or drying dishes [that can be done sitting] burn off calories as well. In fact, 15 minutes of folding laundry burns off 63 calories!!

Good luck, and I hope your foot feels better in no time!! =o) :smile:

~Beth