Looking for some lifting advice

Options
Ok, so here is my problem. No matter how much I workout my chest it does not seem to grow. I am generally blessed with good genetics when it comes to making gains weightlifting except when it comes to my chest. My shoulders and triceps seem to take the brunt of the work when I bench. I've tried changing my grip, different angles of incline and decline, as well as preexhausting my shoulders and triceps before I bench. I've also tried different exercises such as dumbbell flyes (also at different inclines) and with cables. My shoulders and triceps keep making gains and my chest remains flat. So I guess my question would be: aside from doing different exercises, changing incline and grip, is there anything else i could do to minimize shoulder and tricep involvement while pressing?

Replies

• secretsydney
    secretsydney Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just do flat bench press and have arms at 45 degree angle.

Don't bother with incline/decline while you are trying to get a good size chest.

The key to getting a bigger chest is to increase the weight.

If you train your chest once a week, every week add 5kg and after a few weeks you will notice the difference as long as you are eating correct,
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    How long have you been lifting? Are you following a specific program? What does your diet look like, is it going to support muscle/size growth in general?
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Ok, so here is my problem. No matter how much I workout my chest it does not seem to grow. I am generally blessed with good genetics when it comes to making gains weightlifting except when it comes to my chest. My shoulders and triceps seem to take the brunt of the work when I bench. I've tried changing my grip, different angles of incline and decline, as well as preexhausting my shoulders and triceps before I bench. I've also tried different exercises such as dumbbell flyes (also at different inclines) and with cables. My shoulders and triceps keep making gains and my chest remains flat. So I guess my question would be: aside from doing different exercises, changing incline and grip, is there anything else i could do to minimize shoulder and tricep involvement while pressing?

You don't mention it, but according to your profile you still have a lot of weight to lose. If that's the case, you may just be noticing the muscles in your arms where there is less fat to obscure them, vs your chest where you may be losing some fat and building some muscle, but everything is still too big to be noticeable. That's just speculation, so take it for what it's worth. From what you did mention:

Genetics play a role. Different parts of your body will respond differently from the next guy. You should build a solid base of strength first using heavy weights on compound lifts for maybe the first year or two, and then start focusing on lagging areas.

Incline presses are good. Don't waste your time on decline presses.

Lift heavy. I like the 4 to 6 rep range. Others will go to a max of 8, 10, or even 12. By the time you're over 12 reps I think you're wasting your time, and "pre exhausting" sounds like you're over 12 reps. Again, don't waste your time.

Flys don't do much for you other than stretch your chest. Focus on bench, incline bench, and dips. Again, compound lifts are the way to go.
  • cassiz91
    cassiz91 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Try including isolation workouts. when you do bench press, it does work a lot of muscle groups such as triceps, shoulders and biceps. When performing isolation workouts your generally working one specific muscle group.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if it could be a form issue. Have you watched the So You Think You Can Bench videos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHx1gYTA-Rw
  • livinatthegym7677
    livinatthegym7677 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. To answer a few questions:
    yes i have a lot of weight to lose. I have an autoimmune disease that causes fatigue, joint pain, and bleeding under the skin. I was in great shape b4 this (except my chest) but part of the treatment was cortosteroids and some other meds that unfortunately cause weight gain. Coupled with not being able to workout for 3 years, i def gained a lot of weight. My chest problem has always been there though.

My diet: high protein 200+ grams/day, lower carbs 100-150/day, and low fat 36-45 grams/day. This is what I try to hit daily. Sometimes I'm off but I've been pretty consistant. I do cardio high/low intensity intervals 3xs/week and I lift. I do my chest 2xs/week. I do lower reps with as much weight as i can handle and i do a warm up before that. Usually stretching exercises (wall push ups, push ups, incline push ups) and one light set of 12 reps.

Pre-exhausting when i did it would be for shoulders and triceps only. My thinking (idk if it was correct) was that if i beat my shoulders and tris down a bit then my pecs would be taking more responsibility during the lifts .

I have thought about the fat issuse but most of my weight is in my gut. Im sure the fat that i do carry does cover them, but they still feel flat and im not making much in the way of gains on the bar. I try to add weight biweekly and have had some success but being a larger muscle, compared to my shoulders and tris the gains seem to be way off. For more clarity: shoulder presses i can press an olympic bar with a 45 plate on each end strictly for 6 reps. I add 5 on each and do 5 reps 5 reps again and then 4 and 3. I can tricep (close grip press) about the same. My bench has been stuck at 220 for over a month.

Maybe im expecting to much on a calorie deficit or in general. Not sure

Finally ive been lifting (no roids or muscle gaining supplements ever) for about 6months now after a 3 yr layoff from being sick. Before that i lifted for a few years.
  • livinatthegym7677
    Options
    @ jim i def do compound exercises! Im a firm follower of that line of thinking. The only muscle i have ever really tried hard (in the past) to isolate was my chest...and when i was pre-exhausting i did my triceps/ shoulders b4 my bench presses. I no longer do that though. My concern is that i feel i may have over trained my shoulders and triceps and that they r taking the bulk of the burden when i press.
  • livinatthegym7677
    Options
    @jem thanx ill check that video out
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    @ jim i def do compound exercises! Im a firm follower of that line of thinking. The only muscle i have ever really tried hard (in the past) to isolate was my chest...and when i was pre-exhausting i did my triceps/ shoulders b4 my bench presses. I no longer do that though. My concern is that i feel i may have over trained my shoulders and triceps and that they r taking the bulk of the burden when i press.

After seeing this and your previous post, I'm not sure what to tell you. It sounds like you're doing everything right. You have a lot of strength. Yet your chest was lagging even when your weight was lower. And you're hitting your chest twice a week. Sorry, but I've got nothing.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    <<<So I guess my question would be: aside from doing different exercises, changing incline and grip, is there anything else i could do to minimize shoulder and tricep involvement while pressing?>>>

one thing that helps me build a particular muscle is to focus on that muscle when i'm lifting, and make sure its solidly engaged and firing. For example, when i do flys, i'm squeezing my pecs as hard as i can the entire exercise, i'm not just going through the motions of the exercise, i'm actually concentrating on that particular muscle and activating/firing it. That makes a HUGE difference for me.
  • livinatthegym7677
    Options
    @jim lol np. I feel the same way. Do muscles plateau like weight loss? Idk what else to do except keep on keeping on.
  • livinatthegym7677
    Options
    @sonya usually i can feel the muscle im hitting. I am all about technique when i lift. I learned that lesson young when i tore a muscle through sloppy form and heavy weight. Sometimes ill feel it and for days later in my chest but other times its just my shoulders and tris that burn. Ill try hyper focusing during my next lift
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I would suggests lowering the weight, on bench, and really concentrating on the squeezing the pecs at top with a pause, higher rep incline dumbbell work, Isolation work should help also, as mentioned and just overall getting some hypertrophy work in. Push ups in all variations. Finally my favorite is the plate chest press. I think it's time to focus on more mass, more bodybuilder style because, theoretically, a larger muscle is stronger so that bench plateau should get busted as well.
  • livinatthegym7677
    Options
    Thanks!
  • livinatthegym7677
    Options
    Ty caj
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Great article, thanks cajuntank!