Very low willpower...

Options
MsL1nn
MsL1nn Posts: 1 Member
Hello all! My name is Lynn and I'm new to this awesome community of folks. Introducing myself and really fighting to get this weight down. I've been very low energy and feeble of mind lately and seemingly going at this alone. Guess I'm looking for support from people if only to let me know that I'm not going thru this by myself as well as a support system. I know that this works better when you have support....thanks guys if you only read this post, thank you all the same.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I had very low willpower when I started. The first thing I did that helped me fix it was to tell MFP that I only wanted to lose a pound per week. That gave me enough calories to not feel like I was starving, which helped keep me on track. It's easier to have more willpower when you can fit in foods you enjoy.
  • afat12
    afat12 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    You can do it! You're on the right track already. I think what has helped me has been easing into things (and not everyone on MFP will agree with me). Try slowly reducing your calories over a week or two to what MFP recommends.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    You can do this. Don't try to go all in, at first. Take baby steps. It gets easier. Don't starve yourself, it doesn't work. Just get some, nice healthy snacks. If you google some of the threads on here, you will get a lot of good advice You are not alone.
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Once you start limiting calories, you will start feeling so much better.. It takes a lot of energy for our bodies to digest food, and if we are eating too much our bodies have to work harder. This leaves us feeling sluggish. Not to mention, if you aren't eating fuel foods, that will make it even worse. I started last year weighing 242 pounds and I had no energy and always felt horrible. After the first 2-3 weeks, I felt great and had more energy than ever. Hang in there. It is worth the effort!
  • nicoleandchris
    nicoleandchris Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You can do this!
  • mrschief28
    mrschief28 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi MsL1n, I, too, started with practically NO willpower and I still struggle with it. I retired the end of Sep, and joined Anytime Fitness and got a trainer for a year with some of my incentive. I wanted to do something for me alone. I know that's not possible for everyone. Are you close to a YWCA? are their walking clubs in your area? Is there a high school track close by? Or a lake walking trail? Sometimes people will put up notices that they would like company. If there isn't, start one. Do you go to church? I'll bet you could get a few walking/training partners there. The hardest thing to do is start. Every day, just starting is hard. Set goals for yourself. Start with one. I read an article yesterday about a woman in your shoes! She started with one goal ... Maybe it was just putting her tennis shoes on every day. She would do that for a week. Then add another goal, walk to the mailbox (or something) and back everyday for a week. Then maybe walk to the end of the block and back for a week. Each week she would add a new goal and complete it. We all know success is measured by COMPLETED goals. It makes it so hard if our first goal is lose 10 pounds! How long til we see that success? If walking to the mailbox or around the block is not possible, try marching in place for 5 minutes, then 10 minutes, then 15....you get the picture. Every success you have will motivate you to the next goal. I have been working out with my trainer for 10 months. I have FINALLY lost maybe 10 pounds. BUT, I can't believe how strong I am now. And underneath my 30-40 pounds of adipose tissue (I hate saying FAT) I have a rock solid body!! Plus, muscle burns more calories because the more muscle you have the higher your metabolism! Start with one goal. And do it. You can. If diet is the problem (ain't it always?) cut out ONE thing. Sugar is a great one to drop. And artificial sweeteners, too. Maybe your first goal could be to carry a bottle of water and drink it all day. Try for 8 bottles. Our brain will trick us into thinking we're hungry when really were thirsty. I try (notice I said try) to drink 90 ounces of water a day. I don't drink sodas at all anymore. Sugars make up a HUGE portion of our daily carb intake and that isn't good.
    So, start small....drop sugar, drink water, put on your tennis shoes and walk.......you CAN do this. Yes, you CAN!!! Let me know. I'm praying for you.
  • Gardnersirhc
    Gardnersirhc Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Lynn, welcome to the community! Motivation is tough, I've been yo-yo'ing for years. Hopefully now with MFP I can sustain the motivation. You're right that getting support from others is key. One thing is to just focus on the short-term - count everything you eat and drink, set realistic goals in MFP and give it 4 weeks. Then see if you met the weight-loss goal you plugged into MFP - if not, then you probably need to count calories more exactly (weighing food and logging everything as you eat it rather than doing it later - memory gets fuzzy). If you did, give a big round of applause and keep the same program going - just focus on each week at a time. If you go in the red with calories one day, try to be in the green the next but don't beat yourself up about it.

I've found that just by counting calories (all of them, even the cheats), I'm more conscious about what I put in my mouth. Starting to make better choices. If I see that I might be going into the red, I take a walk to build more green numbers.

I weigh myself every day (and record it in MFP) but only look at the week-to-week change - every downward turn of the graph in MFP is something to be celebrated (with a walk maybe instead of cake?)!

You can do this!
  • x_AmandaJayne_x
    x_AmandaJayne_x Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi Lynn! Welcome to MFP! :)
  • joanneclarkharrison
    joanneclarkharrison Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new to this and need to start exercising but I had a c section recently and am not too sure what exercises I should do....calorie counting is good and portion sizes too. Hope all goes well
  • kenkoger7
    kenkoger7 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hang in there...this might help....I've been reducing/eliminating wheat from my diet. I feel so much better and have more energy. Plus the reduction in carbs helps to shed the pounds. Read Wheat Belly book
  • wochlikgm
    wochlikgm Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Hi Lynn, you have taken the first step on you journey to a better you. This shows that you have the will power to carry on. Do little bit at a time. If you follow the recommendations and suggestions from this site, you will lose those kilograms and pounds. We are all here for the same reason. You are not alone.