Depression and food addiction

Options
Im wondering if anyone has any experience with this or any insight.
So recently I realized I think I have a food addiction. Mostly to sugar and chips and fast food types of foods. Now for the past month I have been working on eating better, and for the past two weeks I have really gotten on the calorie counting path and have lost like 5 ibs. (Im 265 right now 5'5)
Ive been working out half hour a day almost every day.
Now Ive also been noticing shakiness, slight weakness, and a little dizzyness on and off throughout the day. This happens to me usually when I eat less sugar so I ignored it.
I feel so "heavy" like moving is too hard and I feel emotionless and depressed for the past week. I skipped out on plans I was excited for and I dont feel physically close to my boyfriend anymore. I just feel like nothing matters.
I guess I wonder if this is happening because of my food changes or something and if it will pass. Has anyone experienced depression when changing their diets or habits?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    When you reduced sugar and chips what did you replace them with?
  • briana12077
    briana12077 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    When you reduced sugar and chips what did you replace them with?

Well I didnt so much replace them as just eating different foods. I used to eat dessert every night and a lot of it and now I am just not unless I seriously crave something. I bought those Kashi oatmeal cookies and one satisfies me. As far as chips If i am craving them I have popcorn with salt its like 45 cals a cup and 2-3 cups is so awesome. Honestly though the first days were the hardest but the cravings are going down. I just eat less or no dessert at night and during the day have a snack like yogurt or a banana. I tried to answer that the best i could.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Are you counting your calories? How much are you eating? You might just be wore out from undereating and starting a new exercise plan. And how have you been sleeping?

• briana12077
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Are you counting your calories? How much are you eating? You might just be wore out from undereating and starting a new exercise plan. And how have you been sleeping?

I am counting. I have been eating between 1500-1900 while burning about 350. I have been sleeping normal up until last night I had trouble falling asleep which is very odd for me. I have a cpap and sleep for 7-8 hrs uninterrupted every night.
  • sofaking6
    Options
    It doesn't seem like you're doing low-carb or low-fat or anything extreme, so maybe just take a rest day from the workouts and see if that helps? I wouldn't be alarmed except about the depression so if it sticks around more than a few days, you may want to consider visiting your doc.
  • briana12077
    Options
    It doesn't seem like you're doing low-carb or low-fat or anything extreme, so maybe just take a rest day from the workouts and see if that helps? I wouldn't be alarmed except about the depression so if it sticks around more than a few days, you may want to consider visiting your doc.

Yeah I am going to visit my doctor i just wondered if this is maybe a normal set back for people because i am worried about it. The only thing I am trying to lower is anything addictive like sugar and fast foods. But maybe I am going through a withdrawl. Does that seem possible?
  • sofaking6
    Options
    I did Atkins once and there a thing that happens early on, they call it "low carb flu", where you feel like a total drudge for a few days as your body adjusts to a much lower sugar ration. That's why I suggest giving it a few days because it should work itself out. Not really "withdrawal" because you're not actually physically addicted to sugar, more like a reconfiguring of energy availability/usage. I'm not exactly qualified to give the details on that lol!!

But yeah, hopefully you'll be feeling much better soon! Fingers crossed the doc agrees with me :)
  • briana12077
    Options
    I did Atkins once and there a thing that happens early on, they call it "low carb flu", where you feel like a total drudge for a few days as your body adjusts to a much lower sugar ration. That's why I suggest giving it a few days because it should work itself out. Not really "withdrawal" because you're not actually physically addicted to sugar, more like a reconfiguring of energy availability/usage. I'm not exactly qualified to give the details on that lol!!

But yeah, hopefully you'll be feeling much better soon! Fingers crossed the doc agrees with me :)

Well thank you that gives me hope at least! :)
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm not a scientist or a doctor, but I did a very large research paper for psychology about food addiction. It's a real freaking thing, & it's serious. Your brain treats that junk food like drugs & when you cut them out, your brain chemistry changes. It is like withdrawal.
    Make sure you're eating enough (getting enough carbs, protein, fats, etc) as well as enough calories. Don't cut too much too fast. & focus on healthier carbs like veggies & fruits, so at least you're not fueling your body with more junk food. I just started watching carbs (to stay within recommended limits, not low carb) & I can definitely feel the difference. I'm so tired & I crave every carb under the sun! But I try to stick with good ones.

Like others have said, check with your doctor, because depression means your brain chemistry may be off no matter what you eat. They can help you figure it all out. But huge thumbs up to you for starting this journey, even though it is not easy! Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like :)
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    This is SOMEWHAT related. A very good read if you have a few minutes to spare. Paul Carter knows his *kitten* too. http://www.lift-run-bang.com/2014/05/if-youre-fat-and-lose-weight-youre.html
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    karla24687 wrote: »
    I'm not a scientist or a doctor, but I did a very large research paper for psychology about food addiction. It's a real freaking thing, & it's serious. Your brain treats that junk food like drugs & when you cut them out, your brain chemistry changes. It is like withdrawal.
    Make sure you're eating enough (getting enough carbs, protein, fats, etc) as well as enough calories. Don't cut too much too fast. & focus on healthier carbs like veggies & fruits, so at least you're not fueling your body with more junk food. I just started watching carbs (to stay within recommended limits, not low carb) & I can definitely feel the difference. I'm so tired & I crave every carb under the sun! But I try to stick with good ones.

Like others have said, check with your doctor, because depression means your brain chemistry may be off no matter what you eat. They can help you figure it all out. But huge thumbs up to you for starting this journey, even though it is not easy! Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like :)

I was going to say something similar - the big three: sugar, salt and fat (and before anyone goes crazy on me this isn't healthy fats like in nuts, oils, etc - this is processed fats) are seriously like drug addiction for your brain: your body will crave them, and it is like withdrawal until you normalize. This can be especially bad if your diet before had huge amounts of them in it, and you will probably not feel great for a while.

The only thing I don't necessarily agree with in her post is the "healthier carbs" and watching her carb intake; especially since she says she's very tired and craves foods with carbs in them. This is depriving her body of the nutrition it needs. Although in sticking with the "good ones", I believe what she's referring to simple vs. complex carbs (so like white pasta vs. sweet potatoes); think of it in levels: level 1 carbs (white pasta, white bread, chips, pizza dough, etc) = not great, level 2 carbs (like whole wheat pasta or whole wheat bread) = better than level 1, but not as good as level 3 and level 3 carbs (like quinoa, sweet potatoes, brown rice, etc) = the best carbs for your body (and these are also known as complex carbs). However, I'm also a runner and my carb intake is high (and extremely high when I'm in training for a run), so what I found worked for me (and I'm coming from 340lbs at 5'9, down to 250lbs) is to just track what I eat (once I got off of the withdrawal) and what exercise I did and how I felt that day. I still do it every day and it helps me to make connections as to what works for me.

You may find what works for you doesn't work for many others - but there's a lot of trial and error.

If you don't start to normalize within the next couple weeks I'd definitely say check with a doctor. I believe I read somewhere that it takes about 30 days of not having excess amounts of the big three in your diet to actually see how you function without them.

Good luck - and feel free to reach out if you ever wanna chat :)
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Did you happen to give up caffeinated soda at the same time? That can also cause withdrawal symptoms.
  • briana12077
    Options

Thank you! I have no idea how much carbs and fat to eat :/ im just not eating as big portions of food and if its obviously unhealthy (like the packaged cookies my family took out last night) im just saying no. And things like a white bread hamburger roll is just not necessary i think. So im just cutting out calories and sugar where i can. Also if food is an addiction i feel like you have to cut it out cold turkey. If you slip up okay fine but just like any other drug just have to quit. I figured id level out and become less addicted. Honestly im not even craving it thats the weird part. I was but not the past few days. And ya Ill add you!
  • briana12077
    Options
    I don't believe in self diagnosis but if you are concerned, talk to your doctor. You could have low blood sugars and that can cause weakness, shaking and dizziness.

I went to the doctors recently to check for that and they said it was fine but maybe things changed.
  • briana12077
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Did you happen to give up caffeinated soda at the same time? That can also cause withdrawal symptoms.

I did not. I only would drink diet sodas on occassion. Like very rarely. Id like to give them up completely but I dont drink them enough to have made a difference yet.
  • briana12077
    Options
    This is SOMEWHAT related. A very good read if you have a few minutes to spare. Paul Carter knows his *kitten* too. http://www.lift-run-bang.com/2014/05/if-youre-fat-and-lose-weight-youre.html

So it seems like I am doing the right thing. Trying to quit these types of addictive foods?
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    Options

Thank you! I have no idea how much carbs and fat to eat :/ im just not eating as big portions of food and if its obviously unhealthy (like the packaged cookies my family took out last night) im just saying no. And things like a white bread hamburger roll is just not necessary i think. So im just cutting out calories and sugar where i can. Also if food is an addiction i feel like you have to cut it out cold turkey. If you slip up okay fine but just like any other drug just have to quit. I figured id level out and become less addicted. Honestly im not even craving it thats the weird part. I was but not the past few days. And ya Ill add you!

I've been using the Fitness Pal guidelines for fats, carbs, & protein for myself, & I'm sure it's OK to adjust a little. It is really hard to change things & go cold turkey, but maybe you can learn to fit in some of your favorite foods to fit your macros so you don't have to give them up all at once. Every effort counts, just do what you can! Just try to measure & record what you eat so you know you're eating enough. You can do it!