Hypothyroid: What Recipes and Foods will help my weight loss success?

marianne_riddle
marianne_riddle Posts: 4 Member
I had a partial thyroidectomy in Feb 2015. In the months following my operation and subsequent medication (Levothyroxine 125 mg/day) I have been struggling with rapid weight gain that is almost impossible to release. I could really use some recipe support and food lists from others in a similar situation. I do not tend to overeat, limit sugar intake, don't drink alcohol. I like vegetables more than fruits, and eat free range meats. I shop mostly at Trader Joes, Whole Foods and also local farmers markets here in Sonoma county. Who has great - and easy - recipes for meals I can make for myself or have on hand? I am really being dilligent about tracking, but the scale won't budge. I need some inspiration... can anyone help?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and per my endocrinologist I didn't change what I eat at all—only how much.

I lost more slowly than most MFPers, so be patient! But I did it just like everybody else—by learning to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging works.

I followed the advice in the Sexypants post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • christinapapou
    christinapapou Posts: 15 Member
    Have you tried to include exercise? Stick to the calories counting but try to incorporate some exercise. It can start by 30 min walks or light yoga which helps tone and stretch muscles. Also if you start exercising, do one day cardio and the other day weights. As much as weightlifting doesn't show immediate results in losing weight, you actually burn calories upto 10hrs afte the workout. The key to losing weight is the right diet. Try ooking for other products and always read the labels.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    I had a total thyroidectomy in 2000 and was hungry constantly initially until I established a proper dosage of Synthroid at 175/200 mcg alt daily.

I help with the hunger I drink 16 oz water about 30 mins before each meal and keep myself occupied. I focus on meals which are filling such as oatmeal, high protein meals such as chicken, tuna, game meats, etc., and pastas.

• Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    I use this website a lot. Browse around, she has great nutrition info and weight loss help.
    www.hypothyroidmom.com
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    To help with the hunger I drink 16 oz water about 30 mins before each meal and keep myself occupied. I focus on meals which are filling such as oatmeal, high protein meals such as chicken, tuna, game meats, etc., and pastas.

I'm less hungry when I use MFP's default protein & fiber goals as minimums, and ignore fat & carbs. So my favorite meals are chicken, fish, or beans + lots of veg.

Speaking of oatmeal, I was never a breakfast person before. Now I make my own packets, inspired by this recipe: http://www.theyummylife.com/Instant_Oatmeal_Packets

I'd rather eat my calories than drink them, so I gradually switched over to drinking plain water. (It was really difficult, but so worth it.)