how to keep sugar consumption down?

Options
Hello! i don't eat candy or anything, but for breakfast i eat Danone All Natural Vanilla Yogurt and Cascadian Farms Granola (Oats and Honey) and it seems with just one serving of each my sugar intake is more than the recommended daily value.

I feel like now, my daily fruits are out of the question (at least today) because that'll add even more sugar?

and also, what kids of breakfast foods would you recommend? I'm allergic to eggs and I used to love to eat that for a healthier breakfast. but any other kind of suggestions would be great!

Replies

• steph19812008
    Options
    What is your calorie target for breakfast? I know it sounds wrong, but I sometimes have a low fat bagel with some grilled bacon which is around 250 cals? Obviously very little sugar and not that much fat if you have lean, grilled bacon.
  • misssmiles
    misssmiles Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    i'm also allergic to eggs... but my body can handle egg beaters
  • ChristinaRamos
    Options
    Oatmeal with splenda and rasisins! Change to plain non fat yogurt or plain greek yogurt and add your own splenda and fruit! All the boxed crap is so high in sugar
  • veganhoneys
    veganhoneys Posts: 34
    Options
    I recommend plain oatmeal with walnuts and cinnamon and for snacks go for raw veggies with hummus! Iced herbal tea (no sugar) is a great cool-down snack when everyone else is drinking those sugary, fattening frappacinos. Hope this helps!
  • LAMB1976
    LAMB1976 Posts: 1
    Options
    I eat a half cup of the old fashion oatmeal with skim milk everyday. Just add one splenda to make it taste better, and mix with a little raisin or almonds for variety. If that doesn't fill you up try one cup verses half cup.
  • MarcelaBella
    Options
    What about a Tbsp. of almond butter, accompanied by fresh fruit and plain yogurt. Agave nectar or honey might be better sweeteners than processed sugar.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    The only way to lower sugar consumption is to eat less sugar, unfortunately. And yes, that includes fruits.

If you're eating fruit in place of other sugar sources, then keep on keepin' on. But, to give you an idea of how strongly I believe in limiting sugars, I only eat ONE fruit nowadays: bananas. And I never eat more than 2-3 per week.

Sugar raises insulin which turns to fat that gets stored. It's a huge bummer, I know!

Here's a little more info: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/McKayMachina/view/you-re-not-fat-because-of-fat-106837

Hope it helps! :flowerforyou:
  • history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I get granola at a local farmers' market, and I love it, but I know it's high in fat and sugar (almonds, maple syrup, etc.). I recommend oatmeal too. My favorite is McCann's Quick-Cooking Irish Oatmeal (you can also get the slow-cooking kind). I sprinkle a little cinnamon on top, and sliced strawberries. It's delicious and filling.
  • beerbomber
    beerbomber Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    When they talk about sugar on here they are talking about processed sugar
  • aristel
    aristel Posts: 110
    Options

is this true?, are you sure?
  • 130byaugust
    130byaugust Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    wow, you've all been so quick to respond. thank you for the suggestions. my roommate makes irish oats overnight, i might start doing the same and have that with fresh fruit or cinnamon.
    and if i want the the granola, i'll have it with skim milk instead of sweetened yogurt.

:)
  • McKayMachina
    Options

No. It's not true. Sugar is sugar. That is a very wrong assumption. Sugar in MFP means sugar, period. :)

EDITED TO ADD: Sucrose, glucose, fructose, dextrose, etc. from any and all sources. As far as I know, erythritol (stevia) does not have a "sugar" effect on the body so it can be consumed without affecting insulin levels.
  • Kiwi_09
    Kiwi_09 Posts: 65
    Options

I don't think so. When you track your sugar on MFP it tracks any sugars. I know it's hard to make your target I'll be over from eating my breakfast cereal and a piece of fruit.

I should probably switch to plain oatmeal for breakfast instead or maybe just a couple eggs or something.
    I'm having the same problem trying to stay in my target zone.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    <<Oops. Double post.>>
  • momof5skis
    momof5skis Posts: 11
    Options
    krogers makes a yogurt called carbmaster that only has about 3 grams of carbs. And it is really good! And not so sweet.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Yes, sugar is sugar. Processed or not.

Best way to avoid eating so much sugar (and sodium) is to stop eating processed foods. It's very hard to stay away from them since they are at a big convenience. Make everything yourself, it will taste and be healthier for you. Yeah, it's a lot of work but people did it in the past. We have just gotten lax about it all.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal with grated apple and cinnamon is a good, very filling breakfast that has about 7-9g sugar.
  • aristel
    Options
    Yes, sugar is sugar. Processed or not.

Best way to avoid eating so much sugar (and sodium) is to stop eating processed foods. It's very hard to stay away from them since they are at a big convenience. Make everything yourself, it will taste and be healthier for you. Yeah, it's a lot of work but people did it in the past. We have just gotten lax about it all.

thanks!
  • aristel
    Options

No. It's not true. Sugar is sugar. That is a very wrong assumption. Sugar in MFP means sugar, period. :)

EDITED TO ADD: Sucrose, glucose, fructose, dextrose, etc. from any and all sources. As far as I know, erythritol (stevia) does not have a "sugar" effect on the body so it can be consumed without affecting insulin levels.

thanks!
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Talk to any diabetic. Fruit sugars and refined though similar are not processed the same in the same way that complex and simple carbs are used by our bodies. Refined has no nutritional value and fruits have great nutritional value to your body. Most people don't even know that 15 grams of carbs = 1 carbohydrate. I always go over the MFP sugar goal and i don't eat candy or drink soda. I go over eating an extremely healthy diet. I don't micro manage it's unnecessary when losing weight. Calories in calories out.