Tell that little voice to STFU!

Options
LorinaLynn
LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
I hate that little voice. Even now, it still pipes up when I run sometimes. Usually only for the first mile or so, but it's still there. That voice saying, "What do you think you're doing? You suck. You can't run. You're not athletic. You're a wuss."

And I know that voice is a lying little turd. I know I can do it. Because I've already done it. I'm not the fastest runner out there, but I did a 5k in under 28 minutes, and a 5 miler in a little over 45 minutes. Perfectly respectable times. And I've been running more since then, so my endurance and, likely, my speed, has only improved since my last race, almost a month ago.

But I still can't get that voice to just STFU and leave me alone. It's there. Nagging me. Doubting me. I don't let it get to me, much. I might take a walk break from time to time, or stop to catch my breath and eat a few grapes or something, but I've never cut a run short. I always get right back on it and finish what I set out to do. I show that voice who's boss!

Is it something everyone has? Do even the folks who *win* races get these nagging doubts? And is it even a bad thing? Or is it something that pushes us further and further?

I'm pretty sure everyone gets it. I remember reading something the guy who won that 5 mile race I ran said about how he was upset he didn't bring his "A-game" because he didn't do it in under 25 minutes. And I remember thinking, "Dude! You won! by a LOT! WTF are you complaining about?" But I think I get it now. It's the nagging little voice.

Replies

• allibawtez
    allibawtez Posts: 47
    Options
    LOL!! I'll remember to say that at the gym today =)
  • Nyxus112
    Nyxus112 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that message! I hate that sometimes, I'm my own worst enemy. STFU little voice...:)
  • veganhoneys
    veganhoneys Posts: 34
    Options
    I think you've got a great attitude for shutting the insecurities out. I tend to feel proud of any exercise I do, but I lived most of my life as a total couch potato so anything is an improvement! I imagine it's harder for people who set high expectations for themselves. Some of us in the back are just glad to have finished the race, and we're telling everyone about how we did it in under an hour lol

PS I love your ticker btw- very inspiring ;)
  • GemmieNoWobbles
    GemmieNoWobbles Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    YES!! Absolutely all the time. I will remember to say STFU next time... little voice is still quite a loud one for me but I feel the little voice shouts at me for everything... I'm going to squash that motherf*#&%er and tell it to STFU!!

p.s love your counter picture.... drewl!! :love:
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, its there trust me... I totally have it. I managed to trick it last time by
    a)not looking at distance until the song is over
    b)not stopping till I ran those 2.5k
    Two days ago I signed up for a ******* 10K race and since now I run slow 20mins/2.5k and I havent even finished the 5k (ever) the voice is kind of yelling at me "ARE YOU CRAZY you will NEVER be able to run this, you wont be able even to prepare for it, you will give up anyway, why bother?"
    I keep telling the voice to shut up and I made the plan to finish the C25k in next 4 weeks and then to have 8 weeks to get ready for the 10k.
    I tell myself that running is the only sport where I feel I can accomplish something and that I am so going to beat myself and win over myself this time.
    Thank you for this post. Trust me, we are simply awesome for even trying!!!
  • tannaleigh
    tannaleigh Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I hate my little inner pessimist. He sure likes it when I sit on my butt and shove chips in my face though! He pops up as soon as I step out the door for my run.... and I mostly tell him the stfu... but then once I hit around the 10 minute mark of running he starts telling me to fail. I just remind myself that walking is not failure. not trying is.

Oh and your times are definitely respectable. I have set a personal goal to run a 5k in 30 mins or less by this fall. even right now that little voice tells me I won't do it.... but I know I have lots of time to pick up my pace since I can run 4 in 30 right now.
  • Mahlissa
    Mahlissa Posts: 128
    Options
    Perfect post for today! Yes, lets prove the negative voice wrong. There are some days that I cant believe I am still running and I conquer a perfect 7 min pace, then other days I end up walking. It's all about balance. MIND, BODY and our Spirit. The worst feeling is when I let my mind win and I DON"T go for the run. ANd it helps if the weather is cooler and you're well hydrated!!

Those are fantastic times for your 5k and 5 miler. Great running!!
  • SamMommy
    SamMommy Posts: 29
    Options
    I look at my inner critic as a child, and simply say, "I hear you, thank you for your concern, but I am a grown woman, and I make the decisions!!!" And just keep going. It is getting quieter, and quieter now.
    I never thought of myself as athletic, but recently went hiking with my best friend since the 6th grade, and managed to hike 6 miles!!!! The feeliing of accomplishment, joy and the shear beauty of the hike kept me going. I stopped thinking, "OMG this is hard, I'm going to fall in the lake, fall down the cavern..." and started just listening to the water falling down the rocks, the birds, the wind and the waterfalls(HOCKING HILLS IN LOGAN OH) I made it, yes I was sore, but I did it!
    So my inner critic was very very quiet! lol :laugh: