how do i get rid of belly?

Options
124»

Replies

• BetesBitch
    BetesBitch Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Oh dear lol....so I should eat 1500cals for slight deficit (logging), and continue my weights and cardio and planks, and I will lose BF not LBM? My belly will really go away this way? But the big question is how long before i can go to maintenance cals?
  • BetesBitch
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    BetesBitch wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »
    ok so TDEE is really 1760 for me then...minus 500cals a day for deficit = 1260cals
    So really that's about 20% deficit and i should be good to lose fat/no LBM on it. I am aware i will lose some LBM but im okay with that cuz i was smaller this way before and LOVED my belly. But that was before a baby and to be honest, baby didnt make much changes to my belly. Just fat, good old fat!

You're of a healthy weight already. You should be cutting at more along the lines of TDEE -10% or at about 1500, IMHO.

1500 sounds nice! BUT it means longer time right? Time is not on my side. Im pretty sure if i lose 10lbs my belly will be significately smaller...I don't care about losing LBM. I don't want to be in a fitness show.

No, you do care about lean body mass. If you lose 10 pounds without caring about lean body mass you'll be losing around 7 pounds of fat and 3 pounds of lean mass. Losing lean mass means you have to lose more weight in the long run and it means a lower BMR. You should want to keep all the lean mass you can.

What do you mean by losing lean mass means you have to lose more weight in the long run? why? and lower BMR, why? thx

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    ok so TDEE is really 1760 for me then...minus 500cals a day for deficit = 1260cals
    So really that's about 20% deficit and i should be good to lose fat/no LBM on it. I am aware i will lose some LBM but im okay with that cuz i was smaller this way before and LOVED my belly. But that was before a baby and to be honest, baby didnt make much changes to my belly. Just fat, good old fat!

You're of a healthy weight already. You should be cutting at more along the lines of TDEE -10% or at about 1500, IMHO.

1500 sounds nice! BUT it means longer time right? Time is not on my side. Im pretty sure if i lose 10lbs my belly will be significately smaller...I don't care about losing LBM. I don't want to be in a fitness show.

No, you do care about lean body mass. If you lose 10 pounds without caring about lean body mass you'll be losing around 7 pounds of fat and 3 pounds of lean mass. Losing lean mass means you have to lose more weight in the long run and it means a lower BMR. You should want to keep all the lean mass you can.

What do you mean by losing lean mass means you have to lose more weight in the long run? why? and lower BMR, why? thx

If you have 10 pounds of fat to lose and you don't focus on retaining lean mass you'll have to lose a total of around 14-15 pounds just to lose the 10 pounds of fat.

Lean mass burns calories, so if you lose lean mass you lose the ability to burn more calories at rest, meaning a lower BMR.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    You need to stop worrying about losing weight so much as losing fat. I recommend ditching the hand weights (unless they're dumbbells used for actual strength training and not like 8 pound weights for squats) and picking up a progressive lifting program that uses compound lifts. That, in addition to getting proper protein intake, should trim down body fat. Also, I would eat at maintenance or even slightly above. (For reference, I got down to 105 pounds and still had a lower belly pooch. It didn't start getting better until I started lifting heavy.)
  • BetesBitch
    Options
    by handweights i meant dumbbells. I am currently using 30lb for OHP, 50lbs for deads, squats will be body or 30lbs of weight on hands, bench pressing 20lbs...butterfly 20lbs...bis 15lbs, tris 15lbs etc..lunges are either body weight or 10lbs in hand,
  • BetesBitch
    Options

If you have 10 pounds of fat to lose and you don't focus on retaining lean mass you'll have to lose a total of around 14-15 pounds just to lose the 10 pounds of fat.

Lean mass burns calories, so if you lose lean mass you lose the ability to burn more calories at rest, meaning a lower BMR.

Oh! Thank you for explaining - i get it now!
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    That linked calendar is really fascinating. If I say I want to lose 7 lbs, it gives me an 85 week plan. I suppose that's because I am so close to my supposed goal weight already. If I set it to recomp and look to *gain* 10 lbs, it gives me a 23 week plan. Though I feel sort of doubtful that I could put on 10 lbs of muscle before the New Year...
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    That linked calendar is really fascinating. If I say I want to lose 7 lbs, it gives me an 85 week plan. I suppose that's because I am so close to my supposed goal weight already. If I set it to recomp and look to *gain* 10 lbs, it gives me a 23 week plan. Though I feel sort of doubtful that I could put on 10 lbs of muscle before the New Year...

The calculator defaults to recomposition, so that's why it says it will take you a very long time to reach your goal. You can change it to weight loss or faster weight loss or weight gain on the third page.