Calories burned with p90x

drlynned
drlynned Posts: 34
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
I've seen several posts about people doing p90x, but I haven't found anything on how they keep track of calories burned with the workouts. I'd think that doing plyometrics would burn more calories than doing the chest and arms workout. Other than using a hrm, how do you guys track the calories burned when doing p90x workouts?

Replies

• mbeach1977
    mbeach1977 Posts: 275 Member
    I use a HRM. :happy:
  • Pieces_of_Me3
    Pieces_of_Me3 Posts: 19 Member
    I have been wondering that myself. I am doing P90X Lean and I just end up putting in an exercise from the database that I think is close to what dvd I'm doing. Today I did Cardio X so I put in Aerobics, high impact for the amount of time I did the dvd. I know it's not ideal but I don't have a HRM so I do what I can :)
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    I just base it on calisthenics vigorous for plyometrics.

P90X is the one thing that's making me REALLY decide that after 9 months I NEED a HRM. There's just no good way to "guess" for that.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Not to be rude, but if you didn't find it, you didn't look very hard. This is one of the most common FAQ besides if one should eat exercise calories or not.

No other ways besides a good HRM. Good luck.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    I take my HR manually 5 times or so throughout the workout, average it and enter my info here: http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

It's great! You can take just 15-second intervals, multiply the values by 4 then average that so you don't have to stop working out for a full 60 seconds five times during your routine. Hope it helps!

To give you an example:

I burned

365 calories doing 50 minutes of P90X Core Synergistics (HR ave. 135)
    372 calories doing 45 minutes of P90X Cardio (HR ave. 144)
    188 calories doing 45 minutes of P90X Shoulders+Arms (HR ave. 106)
    60 calories doing 15 minutes of P90X Ab-Ripper (HR ave. 104)

Hope it helps! :flowerforyou:
  • Jenniferbeaule
    Jenniferbeaule Posts: 2 Member
    What is hrm?
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 646 Member
    a heart rate monitor so far best prices I found were on amazon.com
  • KimbersNewLife
    it helps a ton and I didn't even ask the question :laugh: thanks
  • KimbersNewLife
    it helps a ton and I didn't even ask the question :laugh: thanks
    this was at kaymachina
  • fitfocusedfamily
    fitfocusedfamily Posts: 117 Member
    This is what I do, also, only my HRM will give me an average HR for the duration of my workout. I use that average to enter into the calculation website. In MFP, you can search for the name of your exercise under cardio exercises. If you don't see what you want, select the option to "add an exercise to the database." It is here that you can enter the length of time for the workout & the calories burned based on the calculation done in the website given below.

I hope this helps.
    I take my HR manually 5 times or so throughout the workout, average it and enter my info here: http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

It's great! You can take just 15-second intervals, multiply the values by 4 then average that so you don't have to stop working out for a full 60 seconds five times during your routine. Hope it helps!

To give you an example:

I burned

365 calories doing 50 minutes of P90X Core Synergistics (HR ave. 135)
    372 calories doing 45 minutes of P90X Cardio (HR ave. 144)
    188 calories doing 45 minutes of P90X Shoulders+Arms (HR ave. 106)
    60 calories doing 15 minutes of P90X Ab-Ripper (HR ave. 104)

Hope it helps! :flowerforyou:
  • fitfocusedfamily
    fitfocusedfamily Posts: 117 Member
    HRM = Heart Rate Monitor
    What is hrm?
This discussion has been closed.