Kettle Bell workout

Options
I do kettle bell in addition to walking and yoga. I am not able to find Kettle Bell exercise to enter into MFP. I am not sure of the sets and number of sets I do. Does anyone know how to add that to mfp?

Replies

• danaslh
    danaslh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    OH.. and I read that 20 minutes of kettle bell equals 400 calories burned.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    there was a study done on a group of athletes doing a swing snatch repetition that showed an average burn of 20 calories per minute, most of us average "working on being fit" people wouldn't be able to manage even close to that, at least not for any sustainable amount of time.

It all depends on the weight of the kettle bell you are using, the exercise you are doing, the amount of effort you are putting into it and your weight. Personally I usually hit 10-14 calories per minute estimates during active periods but much less for more basic strength exercises (lunges, dead lifts, halos etc). My heart rate monitor usually reads around 450-600 calories for a 50 minute workout but I wouldn't even trust that to a T, they are meant more for steady state cardio.
  • danaslh
    danaslh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your response, I was just wondering how I can count what I am actually doing on my exercise portion of MFP especially since the kettle bell is a new exercise for me.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a HRM I would lean towards just logging it as circuit training then. Most Kettle bell workouts involve circuits of reps/sets and it is a mix of cardio and strength.
  • druorleans
    druorleans Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This one is anywhere from 264 to 429. I always go with the lower numbers. https://www.fitnessblender.com/videos/beginner-kettlebell-workout-kells-kettlebells-routine
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you don't have a HRM I would lean towards just logging it as circuit training then. Most Kettle bell workouts involve circuits of reps/sets and it is a mix of cardio and strength.

HRMs are for steady state cardio. They aren't meant to be used for strength training, circuit training, aerobics, yoga, etc.

OP - you can try logging it under strength or circuit training in the cardio section of MFP. Do this for a 4-6 weeks and if you aren't noticing a loss, then make sure you are logging accurately (logging everything and weighing versus using measuring cups).

If that's pretty good/accurate, then consider eating only half the exercise cals back or manually editing the entry to log half the burn.

As for the statement about it burning 400 cals - that isn't a given. Burns differentiate based on the person's stats as well as the intensity they put into the workout.
  • charmarbobar
    charmarbobar Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    druorleans wrote: »
    This one is anywhere from 264 to 429. I always go with the lower numbers. https://www.fitnessblender.com/videos/beginner-kettlebell-workout-kells-kettlebells-routine

I love this workout (and many other of the fitness blender ones...but watch some training videos to make sure you're performing the movements properly, especially the swing).

I log my KB under circuit training also.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I started doing kettlebell with fitness blender. I would caution you about their form however-they don't really do it correctly. A swing is not a squat motion. I don't comprehend their snatches at all. I would look up RKCs like Lauren Brooks or Sarah Lurie for instruction on form and once you get that down, use the fitness blender workouts.