Spacing Out Eating

Options
So I've reached a metabolic standstill - I've been stuck at 130 lbs for the last couple months. And now from last month to this month, my measurements didn't even change, so I'm not losing fat right now. :(

I'm 5'8, eating 1500 calories, and still have a good amount of fat to lose. I weight train, lift heavy, and do cardio and martial arts.

I normally eat roughly 500-calorie meals, with whatever is less than that used as snack calories. Someone suggested eating no more than 300 calories at a time, but eating 5 times a day.

I know it's not supposed to matter how/when you consume your calories, but because I'm *so close* to the end and don't have a lot of fat to lose, do you think this could shock my body back into losing fat again? Anyone have success after a stall like this?

I'm giving it a shot (as what could it hurt?) and I will update this with results after a few weeks.

I've read the posts about just maintaining and lifting and waiting it out but I honestly think I still have too much fat to lose for that. I'll up my calories and try that next if I don't see any change this month.

Anyone else try this?

Replies

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    5'8" and 130? That's pretty thin.... How much more are you wanting to lose? Are you training for a competition? Oh and the biggest reason I've lost these last 17 pounds was because I found out it doesn't matter how/when you eat. But you can try 300 calorie meals and see what happens. Best of luck.
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    5'8" and 130? That's pretty thin.... How much more are you wanting to lose? Are you training for a competition? Oh and the biggest reason I've lost these last 17 pounds was because I found out it doesn't matter how/when you eat. But you can try 300 calorie meals and see what happens. Best of luck.

I'm really small framed! It's more my composition that's the issue. I want to have my abs show through and be less "squishy" overall. There is still a lot of fat on my stomach. I'd like it to be solid. And I'm already 10 lbs down, it just stopped once I hit 130.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    At that height and weight you'd likely be better off bulking and lifting for a bit. You're not going to have enough muscle mass in your abs to show.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    holly55555 wrote: »

I'm really small framed! It's more my composition that's the issue. I want to have my abs show through and be less "squishy" overall. There is still a lot of fat on my stomach. I'd like it to be solid. And I'm already 10 lbs down, it just stopped once I hit 130.
    Ah okay. I'm 5'9" but extremely large framed. I was 135 in college andpretty thin. I'm going to agree with @jemhh and say you should bulk for a bit.
  • holly55555
    Options
    But I will have to get rid of this fat either way, yes? Can I lose it now (so I look better) and later up my calories and bulk?
  • holly55555
    Options
    Hey guys. I thought I'd add an update! I've been eating around 300 calories 5+ times a day since I posted this and I started losing both weight and body fat % again! I didn't change my exercise or what I've been eating, just the timing of how I ate it. If you're in a plateau, I definitely suggest trying it!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Most likely you refocused on making sure of your calorie count and logging.
  • kriscastleberry
    kriscastleberry Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You are at a standstill beacaue you have reached your limits (body wise) I stopped loosing at 163 at 5'5 and you would think that's kinda chunky and surely could loose more. I was pure muscle at that point and started bulking instead of loosing any weight. That might be an issue here too. I would agree with everyone else just start lifting and keep at it. Good luck!
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Most likely you refocused on making sure of your calorie count and logging.

Why was this flagged? Anyway, I kinda agree with this. I don't think meal timing has anything to do with losing weight. Look at all the intermittent fasters who are losing & don't eat 5 times a day.
  • holly55555
    Options
    I have always done my calorie counting the same way, measuring out everything, and weighing on a food scale. The spacing was the only different thing, so it's really interesting. I lost my first 10 lbs eating whenever I wanted but then I stalled out and tried this. Just glad it worked!
  • holly55555
    Options
    Look at all the intermittent fasters who are losing & don't eat 5 times a day.

I think it's more to do with not eating too much at a time than how often you eat.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    holly55555 wrote: »
    I have always done my calorie counting the same way, measuring out everything, and weighing on a food scale. The spacing was the only different thing, so it's really interesting. I lost my first 10 lbs eating whenever I wanted but then I stalled out and tried this. Just glad it worked!
    I'm glad that it worked for you.

I took a long break when I plateaued and went back to losing after the break. Next time (IF it happens again!) I'll try switching up meals before taking another break.

Always good to try new things. :)

Good luck on your goals!