girls ! the ponch, :)

Options
the ponch, the ever so dreaded bottom stomache flab anyone have some daily excersises i can do to shrink that ? :) something you do everyday , twice a day whatever just one simple excersise

Replies

• fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Reverse crunches are really good for that.
  • jennyb31
    jennyb31 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Planks
  • SkinnyCate
    SkinnyCate Posts: 116
    Options
    You can't lose weight in targeted areas.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I've always read that Cardio and what you eat are the biggest factor in abdominal size.

I'm sure crunches help to tighten the muscle but I don't think it will make it go away, plus it depends on if there has been stretching from having baby's or being overweight and it is loose skin rather than fat.

Good luck. Mine got much larger after the birth of my 2nd child, it almost looks like an butt on the front.:noway: :laugh:
  • makeachange22
    makeachange22 Posts: 151
    Options

true , but you can help improve the process of it.
  • gail2207
    gail2207 Posts: 133
    Options

You can't target weight loss, but you can tone up problem areas with specific exercises. I do abdominal crunches for my tum :)
  • merB89
    merB89 Posts: 122
    Options
    running :)
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    hanging leg lifts
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I had a c-section with my daughter, so I really had a problem in that area. I'm on day 20 of the 30 Day Shred, and it has shrunk down significantly. I'm not saying that I'm ready to rock a bikini (or that I ever will), but it's gone down more that I could have imagined. It's only 20 minutes a day, and the DVD was only like 20 bucks. Very effective!
  • kzskstir
    kzskstir Posts: 13
    Options
    Shred is only 10 at Walmart. It really does target all the different parts of the abs. Mine is not gone, but is shrinking.
  • wiffe
    wiffe Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose that too. If I could get that part gone I'd look good.
  • wiffe
    wiffe Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose that too. If I could get that part gone I'd look good.
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    running :)
    i agree with this. i recently took up running and seen a DRAMATIC change in my stomach. i also do a 1/2 hour abs class twice a week, and ab ripper x every other day. NOTHING i do is working as well as running is. and i also agree with planks. i have a HUGE bottom stomach or "ponch" as u called it. just keep working on it... while mine has gotten smaller... it will never ago completely away. thanks to 2 children and allowing myself to get up to 305 lbs! good luck!
  • charlene77
    charlene77 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Mine has shrunk inches in the last 6 weeks. I jog, walk, do power90 and the first level ab ripper. Cario exercises that target the abs are great and I love reverse crunches.Try them all and find what works best for u to fit in :)
  • stinabear13
    stinabear13 Posts: 32
    Options
    cardio does help burn fat all over your body, but challenge yourself switching paces every few mins you will burn more calories. my pooch and over hang is really bad from my 1st child being a c-section and my 2nd child was a VBAC. so im getting that dvd now like others mentioned and hopefully it will help me too, i just really gotta watch it 1st in case there are some moves i know will pinch a nerve in my back and leave me screaming on the floor while my kids laugh and destroy the house.
  • Ley2ndtry
    Ley2ndtry Posts: 136
    Options
    i have the pooch from 2 kids, i run for the cardio aspect then do 30 day shred too, her ab workouts kill me but they feel great :)
  • Knightrobs
    Knightrobs Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'll try and convince my fiance to take some "after pictures". Her solution to "the ponch":

- Squats and Deadlifts - Heavy
    - Low/no carb eating

"The ponch" is related to 3 factors. 1) Body Fat (duh) 2) Lack of muscular strength 3) Water-retention (especially in the gut).

So #1 is straight forward, decrease calories and increase energy output (pick your favourite cardio exercise).

As for #2, opposed to popular belief, crunches are not that great for your ponch. Sure they help, but what you really need to do is strengthen your ENTIRE mindsection. Unforunately that includes everything from you abs, to your spinal erectors (back), as well as hip flexors/extensors and your glutes/hammies. The two best exercise for that are Deadlifts and Squats (the use nearly the entire body), get someone to show you how to do them properly and do not be afraid of that free weight section at the gym.

#3 Is the easiest and fastest solution. Short story is, carbohydrates make you retain water. If you remove the carbohydrates from your diet, the water follows. You'll be happy to find out that a majority of this water is stored in the gut and so within 3-7 days you'll notice a pretty rapid 2-10lb weight loss accompanied by a reduction of the gut/ponch area. The weight loss IS WATER. After that initial loss you will not lose more water/weight/ponch. The rest of the ponch destruction must be obtained through #1 and #2... sorry.

Hope that helps
  • tannaleigh
    tannaleigh Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I agree with running... I can always feel a burn in the lower abs and hip flexors after a run. The only thing that will make it go away though will to lose more fat! I had my son 4 months ago and it is definitely small now... (and I carried him very low and I was a house 234lbs)
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I'll try and convince my fiance to take some "after pictures". Her solution to "the ponch":

- Squats and Deadlifts - Heavy
    - Low/no carb eating

"The ponch" is related to 3 factors. 1) Body Fat (duh) 2) Lack of muscular strength 3) Water-retention (especially in the gut).

So #1 is straight forward, decrease calories and increase energy output (pick your favourite cardio exercise).

As for #2, opposed to popular belief, crunches are not that great for your ponch. Sure they help, but what you really need to do is strengthen your ENTIRE mindsection. Unforunately that includes everything from you abs, to your spinal erectors (back), as well as hip flexors/extensors and your glutes/hammies. The two best exercise for that are Deadlifts and Squats (the use nearly the entire body), get someone to show you how to do them properly and do not be afraid of that free weight section at the gym.

#3 Is the easiest and fastest solution. Short story is, carbohydrates make you retain water. If you remove the carbohydrates from your diet, the water follows. You'll be happy to find out that a majority of this water is stored in the gut and so within 3-7 days you'll notice a pretty rapid 2-10lb weight loss accompanied by a reduction of the gut/ponch area. The weight loss IS WATER. After that initial loss you will not lose more water/weight/ponch. The rest of the ponch destruction must be obtained through #1 and #2... sorry.

Hope that helps

I agree with everything on this thread and especially this post, but one thing from the Ab Ripper X series that really targets lower abdominals is the fifer scissors routine. The video link below shows it...the dude needs straighter legs and you need to flex your feet for the most effective use of this particular move...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eydwiUxIaHM
  • Sarahdangerfox
    Options
    You can definitely tone, but if there's a layer of fat over that muscle, what you can do is up your cardio, lower your sodium, and watch your calorie intake. I have yet to bust the pooch myself, but I've been doing planks, hip dips, crunches and this one where I lay flat, hold a big exercise ball between my ankles and then lift my legs up and down for toning. Woooo that one's a beast! Good luck girl :)