Marathons

Options
renae77
renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
I have never run in a marathon or ever really run much at all since I was in school. I was thinking of starting to run and maybe trying to do a marathon and hopefully talk my hubby into it. How would I go about getting ready for a marathon? And where would I go to look to find some in my town? Any advice will be helpful and appreciated! Thanks!!

Replies

• renae77
    Options
    I have never run in a marathon or ever really run much at all since I was in school. I was thinking of starting to run and maybe trying to do a marathon and hopefully talk my hubby into it. How would I go about getting ready for a marathon? And where would I go to look to find some in my town? Any advice will be helpful and appreciated! Thanks!!
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    have you googled your town's name and the word marathon? maybe something will pop up of an upcoming event.

to prepare, try the couch25k program. it's really great and eventually you can run 5 kilometers/3 miles

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml <- the running schedule you follow for 9 weeks
  • melissa91971
    Options
    I am starting a couch to 5K in the spring! and for now I am working on building up to it!

I have a treadmill at home so I get on it and crank up the speed when I get inspired to.

The only reason I am waiting for spring is warm weather. But I am Sooooo Ready!

Good luck to us both!

~Mel
  • mlck2323
    Options
    www.marathonmagic.com is great for beginners too!
  • gsschulte
    gsschulte Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    go to active.com you can look up all races in your area. i would start with a 5k or 10k unless you are already logging at least 25 miles a week. its pretty hard to get everything together to run 26.2 if you are not already in the middle of training. 5k is 3.12 miles and a 10k is double that at 6.24 and the bonus is that they usually do not have requirements and all that. like the bolder boulder is a 10k and you have to qualify only if you want to be in the first 21 waves. the boston marathon you must qualify for as they close down streets and you have to keep ahead of sweeper cars.
  • renae77
    Options
    thanks a bunch for everyone's responses!:bigsmile:
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Active.com is a good place to start to find a race. Depending on your fitness level / current mileage run, I would probably plan on at least four months to prepare, after you get to the point you are running 15-18 miles a week, then build from there.
  • Sheri4MS
    Sheri4MS Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Some people start small and some go big. I will be a mentor/trainer for our marathon training group this year. Several individuals will come that have never run before and will train for a half or full and complete it. The training program is 4 months long.

When I trained for my first half I used the Hal Higdon training guide and did this all on my own. For new runners and even older ones who don't want too completely abuse their bodies, Jeff Galloway offers a run/walk approach that is awesome. I have completed 2 full marathon and 7 half marathons. I used the run/walk approach on 1 full and 2 halves, and was very happy with my finishing time and recovery.

I say I don't run fast, just far. It is the same mileage either way.

You can google either of these names to find out more information.

:happy: