How do you stay motivated?

Options
I'm a first year teacher who is experiencing her first summer of freedom. I have literally NOTHING to do and it's awesome!....and not. I have lost all motivation to do anything. I had this routine during the year...wake up and workout, teach all day, hit the gym to get my last 2000 steps, home and bed. Now, I sit around all day and do the bare minimum. Take my dogs out only to pee. Watch tv. Eat whatever I want because I have nothing else to do. And not only am I unhappy with how I'm looking, I FEEL unhappy. I'm getting moody and depressed from the lack of human interaction. I was going to the gym but I badly sprained my ankle and even though it's been a month, I'm still recovering and even walking 2 miles on the treadmill KILLS the next day. I need to push through but...meh. My pants are getting tighter and I'm terrified I'm going to gain back the 40+ lbs I lost over a year ago. How do you find the motivation to just GO DO IT? How do you kick yourself in the @$$ and just make it happen? I need some of that right now.

Replies

• Mgtei
    Mgtei Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    For me, I remind myself that I am worth caring for meticulously and wholesomely (i.e., both mentally and physically, and spiritually if that's your thing) no matter where I am in my weight/health journey. Then a deep breath ("Breathing will get you through this."—a gym trainer I had). Then the tender application of science. Am I tracking as best I can/weighing as much as I can accurately? If so, you should be able to get through this rest time with your injury ok.

As for other areas of your life, it sounds like you need goals for activity outside of weight loss. Those are important, too, especially if you have a tendency towards depressive episodes. Does your injury allow you to volunteer somewhere? That'd be a great way to have a commitment to get outside the house and around new people and make new friends. People who volunteer are usually good stock, in my experience.

On a more practical note, pre-logging food before I eat it seems very helpful for me (rather than doing it at the end of the day from memory, say). It helps put me in the right mindset for the day first thing in the morning and gives me a time to recommit to my reasons for weight loss (your profile says a long life and future kids, which are great reasons to meditate on) before I take a bite. Also, even if you overeat, track it, and be proud you tracked it so you can stop the ~shame spiral~ in its tracks. Then commit to do better, not tomorrow (unless you're done for the day) but at your next bite.

Someone else also recommended dividing your food in half before you eat it and checking in on your satiety levels at the halfway point. I've done this and occasionally been surprised at how full I was before finishing my plate (I'm a clean-your-plate kind of girl).

I also wonder (and this may be projecting since it's something I struggle with) if maybe your identity is wrapped up a bit too much in your job, since it seems like when it's not active in your life in the summer you don't have much else to do that you enjoy? You could try blogging on your MFP blog every day as a hobby if you enjoy writing, or trying a new hobby that will give you a sense of accomplishment outside of your work (something you can do while you heal like drawing/painting, even playing computer/video games, or better yet something that gets you outside like gardening).

Hope one of these is helpful to you. I'm rooting for you. Depression sucks. But you can do this. You got this.
  • michelle1173
    michelle1173 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hello from another teacher. I have a similar issue and can't say that I have the issue 100% under control, but I do things that help.

1. I make a to-do list. If you are really having trouble with motivation, break up the tasks on the list. It feels good to check things off.
    2. Tell others what you plan accomplish to make yourself accountable.

Exercise and diet tend to go along with being generally active and productive. At least that's how it is with me, so I usually include them on my list.

Use a daily planner on an online calendar (google calendar) and make a schedule or appointments for yourself. If I have a big task to accomplish, I only allow myself to spend a limited amount of time on it. This way I make sure I fit in the exercise and allow downtime from being productive (without going overboard. )

When I feel productive and am more active without the stress of the school year, I tend to feel less depressed. Getting together with friends or even phone calls or emails may also help.
  • kelseymfritts
    kelseymfritts Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just on the injury front, I work in physical therapy and a month is often not long for a bad sprain to heal. If walking at a gentle pace is giving you that much pain the next day, then I'm not surprised that you don't want to do it! If you're in pain you're going to build up an aversion to the activity- something I've gone through myself after multiple surgeries. With injuries it's not about pushing through pain, it's about treating and caring for your body and finding alternative activities that you also enjoy. So stop forcing your ankle to walk if it's not ready or you will never heal! Instead, try a lower impact exercise like swimming or biking. The decrease in weight bearing might help reduce discomfort and they are great cardiovascular exercises. Maybe getting out of an exercise rut and into something a bit different will help shake things up!! Also, physical therapy or personal training can give you a lot of great ideas for how to work out around an injury and that might be helpful. Good luck!!
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    You are unhappy with how you look. That should be your motivation right there. For me, I want to feel happy and beautiful. That and my progress so far motivates me. It maybe a drag getting up and working out, but you will feel better afterward, kinda like you accomplished something good lol. Then after a few weeks or months when you finally realize that your hard work is paying off, its great and definitely even more motivating.
  • ToshaPfit4life
    ToshaPfit4life Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I know you said you love being off for the summer...but what about devoting a few hours a week to tutor kids in the neighborhood or kids of family and friends (for a small fee
  • michelle1173
    michelle1173 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Can you use this time to work on other exercises? (upper body workouts) I agree that you need to let yourself heal. If a doctor suggests that you ease back into workouts that involve your ankle, then follow that...but really ease into it.

Start healthy habits now through diet, work on the areas, and try to create a more active/social lifestyle to help with the depression.
  • SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I try to find a friend and sign up for various activities which you cannot do without training. Whether it's a 5k, mud run, or this fall's new adventure - bike ride.
  • reallyregina
    reallyregina Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. It's easy for me to fall into that slump. I decided recently that I'd consider my time at home as a "job". My job when I'm home is to clean, run errands, walk the dog, catch up on all the stuff I like to avoid doing, etc. When I find myself wanting to snack when I'm not hungry (which is all the time) I drink water, clean something or organize something. I just started a few days ago. It's working great so far. I also have to avoid the tv and facebook when I'm in a do nothing mood. It makes it worse. Good luck!
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Losses in my waist, gainz everywhere else.
  • reallyregina
    reallyregina Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I forgot. Another trick I do is to set my timer for 5 minutes and say I'll do something just for that time. Anyone can do 5 minutes. 5 usually leads to more and if it doesn't at least I accomplished SOMETHING.
  • ThatBassoonChick
    ThatBassoonChick Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hello from a teacher in training!(I start my 5th and final year as a music education major in August) As a college student, I'm incredibly used to having a schedule. While I hate it with a passion at the time, over the summers I realize how great it was. I'm not talking about having trouble working out though. I'm talking about my overall happiness. At the start of the summer I felt worthless, unmotivated, and like I wasn't actually getting anything done this summer. An acquaintance suggested that I make a schedule for each day depending on factors that I can't change (like work). I made one for everyday of the week but it gives me time to sit and do nothing throughout the day while still getting things done. I also made a list of "things to do when bored" that I think are fun or productive, example: work on my portfolio. This all has helped me to have more of a purpose over the summer. I added in working out this week which has made me feel more productive (and sore) than ever.

Basically, if you're used to having a set schedule each day, you need to create one for summer when you have all this free time.
  • crubio360
    crubio360 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love getting concrete confirmation that I am making progress even if I can't see it on the scale. Good nutrition and exercise greatly benefits our internal organs. I love getting my blood pressure, blood cholesterol, and blood fats tested when I go to the doctor/clinic because they improve even if I haven't lost a ton of weight. This can get expensive but really helps when you are feeling hopeless. You are making progress and are improving the composition of your body in a deeper level. You have to live in your body for many years, it needs to function correctly!
  • girma13
    girma13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Lol my motivation is knowing i cant fit into my small cute stuff anymore
  • evinston
    evinston Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I talk to myself (out loud). "No, you are NOT going to eat that! Get OUT of the kitchen." "Oh yes you ARE going to ride that bike! Put your shoes on and get moving. You don't have to go far." Once I'm actually in motion, I tend to stay in motion. It's the start that's hard part.
  • ThatBassoonChick
    ThatBassoonChick Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    evinston wrote: »
    I talk to myself (out loud). "No, you are NOT going to eat that! Get OUT of the kitchen." "Oh yes you ARE going to ride that bike! Put your shoes on and get moving. You don't have to go far." Once I'm actually in motion, I tend to stay in motion. It's the start that's hard part.

I do the same thing! This morning I lectured myself on how I was going to be upset with me later in the day if I didn't get up and go running.
  • loborojo52
    loborojo52 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My motivation is that I want to be in the best absolute shape I can be for my teammates... I was recently named captain of my rugby club and I take great pride in that :)
  • sannad23
    sannad23 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    evinston wrote: »

• sannad23
    sannad23 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    this is awesome! I do the same thing!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    motivation is a fleeting emotion...there are *kitten* loads of things that I do every day that I'm not motivated to do...but they need doing...they're just another part of the day...so I do them.

beyond that, find something you like doing and do it. If it were me, I'd be spending a ton of time on my bike, in the pool, and hiking in the mountains.
  • Kittyface722
    Kittyface722 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow you guys there were some really great ideas and advice in here. Thank you!! Next week I'm going to see about taking some fun classes at my gym (yoga, Zumba, etc since I pay for it already!) and then see where I am. Nutrition is hard for me, I really don't know how I did it last time! I've gotten lazy with weighing and measuring everything so I really need to get back to that more. Try and get the hubby to help. Thanks so much for the support!!