lost 20 pounds in 1 month is this good?

Options
Determined2BFit713
Determined2BFit713 Posts: 2 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm not to sure if this is good for me but I eat about 5 small meals a day to keep my metabolism going through out the day. I feel like its alot of weight being shed too quick but im not sure any ideas if this is good?????

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Stats and how many calories are you eating?

20lb's doesn't sound right. And it doesn't sound healthy.

And lots of small meals through out the day doesn't keep your metabolism going.
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    20 pounds in 1 month sounds dangerously unhealthy. Are you sure about that? The most I lost in 1 month was 9 pounds.
  • faithgirlfl
    faithgirlfl Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Depends on which "diet" you are following ...
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

Doesn't matter which diet it is. 20lb in a month is not healthy.
  • faithgirlfl
    faithgirlfl Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    on LC I lost 22 pounds the first month ... and have kept it off --- I was "bigger" so my dr wasn't shocked by the loss ...
  • ibnfaqir
    ibnfaqir Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    maybe safe but not sustainable in the long term. Slow and steady wins the race because as a guy you would want to conserve your muscle mass which you can lose with too quick a weight loss.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    What are your stats?
  • rjfixerswife
    rjfixerswife Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Depends on how much weight you have to lose
  • IsaackGMOON
    edited July 2015
    Options

Depends on how much weight you have to lose

I guess. OP didn't list his stats so I'm just assuming he wants to lose a few lb's.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options

If he's 600 pounds losing 20 pounds would not be unhealthy. It all depends on what his starting point was.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Did you just start? You may have lost a good bit of water weight in the beginning.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Profile says he's looking to lose 100 lbs. No idea on current stats, though.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you are obese and on a VLCD that is supervised by your doctor, sure it is healthy, for certain values of healthy.
    Otherwise you may want to slow down to no more than 1.5% of your body weight per week while you are obese.

And if you would like to preserve the maximum amount of lean mass while losing your weight you may want to slow it down yet another notch, down to 1% while obese/overweight and 0.7% when overweight/normal weight and lower than that in the bottom half of your normal weight range.

The reason being that the less fat you have available to lose, the harder it is to only lose fat.

Normal MFP recommendations (as per me ;-), are:

Target of 0.5lbs of weight loss per week per 25lbs you are above the bottom of your normal weight range.

Minimum NET calories after accounting for true net exercise calories of 1200 for females and 1500 for males. I personally would prefer to calculate my maintenance calories at goal weight at the lightly active to active setting and, as long as the deficit was sufficient, try to lose my weight by eating somewhere around that level, minimizing the need for my eating to change when I get to maintenance (and eliminating the belief that my eating is supposed to change once I am in maintenance).

If you are using MFP estimates and have a large deficit start by eating back 70% of your exercise calories and adjust according to your actual losses after 5-8 weeks. If you have a small deficit start by eating back 50% of your exercise calories and adjust according to your actual losses after 5-8 weeks.

if no kidney problems and wanting to preserve lean mass, target of 0.8g of protein per lb of bodyweight

minimum fat consumption of 0.35 to 0.45g of fat per lb of bodyweight

25g (female) and 38g (male) minimum target for fiber a day for your personal comfort

The rest can be whatever combination of FATs and CARBs strike your fancy

Weight yourself daily and input your weight in a trendline type application such as www.weightgrapher.com (www.trendweight com with a supported scale, or a free fitbit.com account to enter your weight through), or happy scale on the iPhone. This allows you to focus on real changes as opposed to chasing your tail around trying to adjust for changes having to do with glycogen replenishment, carb re-feeding, salt consumption, changes in exercise, hormones, or TOM issues-which I sincerely hope will not be impacting you as a male!

Get a fitbit or jawbone or misfit, or use a phone apps such as Pacer to count your steps and slowly increase your activity level and or exercise (you don't have to start exercising like a gerbil in a wheel in order to lose weight; but a little bit of extra activity and later on some muscle preserving exercises may not be a bad idea)

To maximize lean mass preservation lift progressive weights (or start with bodyweight exercises) when your conditioning allows you to do so.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 in my first month, but I was pretty fat. No one can really judge if it's healthy or not, without more information.

But, 5 small meals a day isn't necessary to keep your metabolism going. Your metabolism is always going. If it stops, that means you're dead.
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    A lot of it was probably water weight. People who go for an extreme deficit at the start of their journey can easily lose ~10+ lbs in the first week.