Yoga and Less Cardio - lost 45lbs

Options
Hey there,

Not much of a post-er, but want to share my winning formula - I do yoga 3-4 times a week and a zumba class just for fun - drink plenty of water and get to bed by 11pm (except when out with friends). I've lost 45 lbs. and at 5 6' I broke 130! I feel amazing - tons of energy, even more optimism and I only watch what I eat when I start to gain. I hear a lot of calorie obsession and see a ton of Cardio nuts at my gym. I've been there - addicted to the elliptical, but it never helped with the underlying eating reasons -- stress, emotion, boredom, etc. Yoga seems to do that (and no, I don't mean the Bikram, sweat your *kitten* off next to some smelly waif - regular gym flow and gentle yoga), add a little cardio now and again for fun and wham - sexy body here to stay!

Did I mention it's been over a year?

Good Luck to all on this site -- it's been a great way to lose weight and maintain my new lifestyle!

Replies

• cng1117
    cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    That's great!!!! Yoga is something I am definitely interested in trying :happy:
  • VenturaGurl
    VenturaGurl Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I love yoga and pilates...glad for your success!!!
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I tend to agree with what you are saying here. I still believe in doing cardio but I have taken it down from 45 mins 4or5 times a week to 3 times a week for 15-20 mins. I am talking about deliberate cardio...like the elliptical and running. I still walk 4kms a couple times a week just for the relaxation and enjoyment I get out of it and you will still catch me busting a move in my kitchen just cause it feels good.

BUT>> I do yoga at least 4x a week and I may not have lost a lot of weight yet doing this but the scale has started to move again (plateaued for over 2 months now) and my general body shape has been changing. I am comfortable walking around my house with a bit of my belly showing. I am not embarassed for my hubby to see me naked anymore and the biggest part of it is I actually care what I put in my mouth... I am not just counting calories and eating a bunch of empty cals but I actually care what the food will do for me and how my body will use it.

Yoga is great for strength training and toning. I love it. And the little bit of cardio seems to be just giving me the kick up I need.

Thanks for posting this and congrats on your loss and maintaining:)
  • missmomma77
    missmomma77 Posts: 42
    Options
    Bump
  • chocolatnoir
    chocolatnoir Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    So inspiring! I've been doing yoga for a few years now and love it. In fact, I'm just about to embark on an experiment- my summer yoga challenge. Vinyasa yoga 6 days a week till the end of August. I will probably still go on daily walks since I love doing that in the summer but am turning my back on running/gym and want to see what my body will look like and feel like if I completely give myself over to my yoga practice for the next few months. I have a few dvds that I love and will be sticking to those at home. I don't have a studio near me that I like...but used to go to one regularly in San Francisco when I lived there and did private sessions in India for a few weeks so feel comfortable enough to do this on my own. Fingers crossed that I will be committed!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!