Cannot seem to stay motivated...

Options
I have 50-ish pounds to lose and am feeling overwhelmed. I *know* that if I quit drinking empty calories (I'm looking at you nightly cocktails), go gluten-free (I have Hashimoto's, so it really is non-negotiable) and exercise daily I will have no trouble losing weight. Words of encouragement, please! I start off the day with the best intentions, but am finding myself slipping back to my lazy ways :(

What are some of your ways to stay focused, on track and motivated????

Replies

• kraftylady891
    kraftylady891 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    you need to have a weight loss buddies, join some groups get some friends on here.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Often what keeps people from being "motivated" is the overwhelming nature of trying to make lots of different changes so they are living a "healthy lifestyle." Instead, it's easier to take little steps, making those thing a habit and then taking a new step.

Really, it's less about motivation than it is about commitment. Whatever you decide to change, don't allow yourself to compromise. For example, if you simply make exercise a part of your routine that is as non-negotiable as brushing your teeth, then your level of motivation won't even come into it. If alcohol isn't in the house and you make the decision that it's completely off-limits then you won't be as tempted to negotiate with yourself that you had a hard day and you'll have "just one" because you deserve it.

I don't believe that gluten isn't going to cause you to gain or lose weight in and of itself. If it's something you should be avoiding because of your Hashimoto's (this is the first time I've heard that it requires one to be gluten-free and I have family members with it) then that is a health issue and not a weight issue. I've heard of the tie between gluten sensitivity and thyroid problems but that's an autoimmune problem tied to the gluten sensitivity. If you have Celiac disease and Hashimoto's you'd want to avoid gluten because you'd feel miserable when you ate it. If it doesn't actually bother you but someone told you that you should avoid it, then it may not really be a problem. In any event, it's your choice whether or not to do the right things for your health but in this case it shouldn't affect your ability to lose weight.

If it's the exercise that's your hang up, don't do it. Simply focus on lowering your calories for awhile since that's all that's needed to lose weight. Once you get that habit down, look at adding improvements like exercise.
  • sannad23
    sannad23 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just some advice as a nurse. Gluten Free is not going to help you lose weight. watching your calorie intake is! gluten allergies only occur in 1% of the population according to all my nursing texts and if someone goes on a gluten free diet, without having a gluten allergy, this can prevent them from getting much needed fiber in their diet. Fiber = weight loss!! Because it binds to lipids and other "bad" things in our gut and helps us eliminate them. Sometimes without our bodies even using the "bad" things. Just a thought :smile:
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Motivation is fleeting and fickle, you need commitment, dedication and habit.
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I've had success wearing a shine, seeing the miles I walk in a day. I teach, and I was surprised how the daily work steps contribute. Another thing that really makes a difference for me is exercising first thing in the am before work. I walk a mile on the treadmill so it doesn't take long. If I waited until after work other things might get in the way. Good luck!!! You can do this!
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Motivation means "I want to do this." Get rid of the idea you're going to want to do it and you'll be a lot happier (because you won't be waiting for something that doesn't happen). You don't need motivation -- you need the routine of doing it. You can start that routine today.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Gluten free what they said.
    Being at consistent deficit is what matters.
    Motivation are the underlying factors which persuade you to do something. As suggested b by SueinAz start small , build gradually and be encouraged by the success.

Knowledge, planning , realistic expectations and commitment helps to be consistent and on target. Unless alcohol is really importnat for you then id scrap it or keep small amounts as treats at the weekend.
  • Lisathin11
    Lisathin11 Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Go on Paleo diet. I go on Pintrest for motivation.