I hate cooking

Options
I used to love cooking, though. Now, I am an overwhelmed (work, grad school, two kids, husband, housework), sleep-deprived (baby, late nights grading papers and writing papers) Crabby Face and I hate everything. That includes cooking, specifically the cleaning up afterward. I can slowly see myself depending more and more on convenience foods and I want to stop that before it becomes a habit.

I am a believer in "No Food is Bad," and I allow myself to eat whatever in moderation, so pasta and bread aren't off-limits. However, I see myself getting lazy and, in order to save cooking and cleaning effort, I have started filling up my plate with whole wheat noodles instead of a moderate amount of noodles and a lot of vegetables/marinara. I have also been bringing two peanut butter sandwiches to work for lunch instead of leftovers because there are no leftovers because I hate cooking now.

Does anyone have any recipe ideas or tips for meals that require minimal cooking or cleaning up? Raw fruits and vegetables are great, but I am looking for actual meals/side dishes. I spent some time last weekend staring at the Slim Fast shakes at the store, not for the weight loss aspect, but for the convenience. Gaa! Help!

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Crock Pot!
  • YamiElisa
    YamiElisa Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My lazy meal last night (I cooked a large batch so I could take half to work for lunch) was the following:

Turkey mince
    Mixed bell peppers (frozen)
    Broccoli (frozen)
    Sushi rice

The sushi rice went into the rice cooker (but boil in the bag rice is super easy too) which just does its thing. The hardest part there is rinsing the rice before it goes in. Not a problem if you're doing boil in the bag!
    The mince and the frozen veg all went into a roasting tray and just went into the oven. Spread the mince out along the bottom of the roasting dish/tray, toss in your veg around the edges - cook until it looks sufficiently done. About 30-40 minutes I think mine took, I wasn't really paying that much attention!

Super lazy and simple meal that can be cooking while you do something else.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I second the crock pot and there are Reynolds crock pot liners that make clean up way easier. The grill is also a way to go if you can stand to use the grill. Then you can make homemade turkey burgers, or even regular ones on the grill. Using paper plates for grilled burger stuff is great too. It won't help with the grilled steaks, but you've gotta take it when you can get it. Good luck! I feel for ya when you say that you're way tired. I try and cut down on the cooking time, so crockpot saved my life on that front.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I used to love cooking, though. Now, I am an overwhelmed (work, grad school, two kids, husband, housework), sleep-deprived (baby, late nights grading papers and writing papers) Crabby Face and I hate everything. That includes cooking, specifically the cleaning up afterward. I can slowly see myself depending more and more on convenience foods and I want to stop that before it becomes a habit.

I am a believer in "No Food is Bad," and I allow myself to eat whatever in moderation, so pasta and bread aren't off-limits. However, I see myself getting lazy and, in order to save cooking and cleaning effort, I have started filling up my plate with whole wheat noodles instead of a moderate amount of noodles and a lot of vegetables/marinara. I have also been bringing two peanut butter sandwiches to work for lunch instead of leftovers because there are no leftovers because I hate cooking now.

Does anyone have any recipe ideas or tips for meals that require minimal cooking or cleaning up? Raw fruits and vegetables are great, but I am looking for actual meals/side dishes. I spent some time last weekend staring at the Slim Fast shakes at the store, not for the weight loss aspect, but for the convenience. Gaa! Help!

You are getting burned out and are really just in survival mode. You can not do it all. If no one else in the family can step in to take over cooking, cleaning, child care, etc then just use convenience foods for now. It isn't lazy to use them when you have so much to do already. You won't be living like this forever so don't beat yourself up about it.

Slow cooker meals or casseroles. Dump things together, throw in the pot or oven.
    Sandwiches, quesadillas or wraps for dinner with hummus, salad, raw vegetables, fruit.
    Double the recipe whenever you cook and have the leftovers for another meal. It doesn't usually take more work.
    Breakfast for dinner. Eggs are quick to cook. Lots of breakfast foods are quick.
    Buy a whole cooked chicken or ham and add some quickly cooked vegetables or salad.
    Pizza made with pita bread, naan, tortillas, English muffins or garlic bread for the crust. Goes together fast. Bake about 10-15 minutes. Have with a salad.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I hate paying my taxes, too, but I still have to, right?

Just think of cooking as your weight-loss tax, and pay the taxes due.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    What's your husband doing while you're cooking and cleaning? Maybe you could alternate some.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Crock Pot!

This. And since I cook, my fiance has to do dishes. :)
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Google Once A Month Cooking
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options

Your description gave me a good laugh. I completely understand how you feel! Crock pot is a good suggestion. They have liners you can put in before you cook which minimizes clean up. You can throw some chicken, a seasoning packet and water-cook on low and then shred with a fork when you get home. Chicken for the week. (Works for pork and beef as well).

There are microwaveable packets of rice, you can nuke frozen veggies. If price isn't a huge issue-Tyson makes delicious pre-cooked chicken. They have grilled breasts in pieces (good for burritos), strips (think salad) and whole breasts. They also do nuggets and chicken patties which are reasonable choices calorie-wise. Rotisserie chickens are another good option.

It's pretty easy to make fairly healthy meals from mostly convenience foods. You don't have to rely on chef-boy-ar-dee all the time. Boil some water for pasta, use a light Alfredo sauce and add some pre-cooked chicken and frozen broccoli. Pre-mixed salad on the side. Plenty of room for dessert! Give yourself a break-sounds like you have a lot on your plate.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I used to hate the mess after cooking too, but then I lstarted to clean as I was going. It makes things a lot simpler. It can seem hectic, but its so much nicer to be able to relax after your meal (after cleaning your plate, that is ;) ). I batch cook and meal prep for the week. I cook on Sunday night, then everything is ready for M-F. The weekend I tend to cook things to order since I have a little more time. My meals during the week are pretty basic; a source of protein, a complex carb, and veggies (usually steamed, roasted, or lightly sauteed). This week is grilled pork, baked sweet potato (cut in half), and steamed broccoli. Then, as I'm portioning it out, I put a piece of masking tape on the lid with each items weight so I can log it. Takes me 1.5-2 hours, but it saves A LOT of time during the week.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I work full time and go to school. I run, I lift... I have little time and less patience for cooking and the clean up that follows so I completely get where you're coming from. I'll go weeks where I cook two meals each week. My husband cooks on the weekends, we eat out with my parents on Friday night and I do take out for my son and I the other two weeknights.

Make huge meals in the crockpot. Use the leftovers for lunches and freeze single or double portions for another meal next week. One of my favorites for this is chili. Stew also freezes and reheats well.

Make a double batch of meatloaf the night before and pop it in the fridge. When you get home throw both loaves into the oven. Slice up the leftovers and refrigerate or freeze. You could also make mini loaves which cook faster and you don't have to slice.

Pick up a rotisserie chicken one night. Heat up a veggie or two, add a side salad or another side and viola. Easy dinner. Then put the rest of the chicken in the fridge for lunch leftovers or use it as the protein in another meal or two.

One of my favorite easy meals is stirfry. You can use leftover chicken (or another protein), or cut up and cook fresh meat the night before, then just throw it in the pan with frozen veggies until it's hot. At the same time, cook a pot of rice to eat with it or add cooked spaghetti noodles right at the end.

Another easy meal is a salad. Buy bagged salads and add a few cut up veggies, some cheese and leftover meat. Salads are so versatile. It can be almost anything just by changing up the combination of ingredients.

I buy frozen chicken patties and cook them until 5 minutes before being done. I add some spaghetti sauce and a slice of cheese and I have Chicken Parmesan. Add a side of spaghetti and a vegetable and I have dinner.

I buy frozen tilapia filets that are breaded and add a side salad and a veggie side. Costco sells tortilla and lime breaded. I've also found a brand with a good parmesan breading.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Another easy meal is a salad. Buy bagged salads and add a few cut up veggies, some cheese and leftover meat. Salads are so versatile. It can be almost anything just by changing up the combination of ingredients.

I'm eating big salads this week for dinner. Summer in AZ, people stay out of the kitchen as much as possible! haha. I grilled my chicken on Sunday, so I'll just slice it up and throw it in my salad after its dressed. Easy, cold, refreshing!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

I'm eating big salads this week for dinner. Summer in AZ, people stay out of the kitchen as much as possible! haha. I grilled my chicken on Sunday, so I'll just slice it up and throw it in my salad after its dressed. Easy, cold, refreshing!

I'm with you. When it's 110° at 5pm no one wants to grill or eat a heavy meal. We eat a lot of salads in the summer.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,969 Member
    Options

I love smoothies for a quick meal. Throw some protein, fat, and fruit into a blender. I use my food processor because it is easier to hand wash as I don't currently have a dishwasher. Speaking of which - do YOU have a dishwasher? When my then-husband and I were both working full time and going to school part-time, we got one and it reduced a lot of stress.

Is having someone coming in periodically to do the deep cleaning in the budget?

• ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Google Once A Month Cooking

Just Googled it,...very interesting!
    I actually like Cooking, but this would save so much time.
    Dont think i could cook so much in one go, but once a week cooking would do me fine.
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    When I don't feel like cooking, my go-to weekly shopping includes rotisserie chicken (local Sam's club has delicious whole chickens for $4.88), a huge salad from the salad bar at the grocery, prepared mashed potatoes (usually in the meat section), steamable bags of veggies, and other fresh-prepared store items. It might kick my food budget up for the week, but sometimes I just need a break from the daily grind. I eat the hot chicken the first night, then use it for sandwiches, leftovers with a rice/quinoa side, etc.

Don't let it overwhelm you to where you get off track with your nutrition. If you're stressed out, you need good nutrition and a feeling of accomplishment more than ever!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Crock pot and a husband who does his half.
  • deceived1
    deceived1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I hate cooking as well so I try to keep it to a minimum. I also work 3-11pm most days, so cooking dinner beforehand is a task I usually fail to complete.

My go to is Wegmans (if you have one near you) $6 meal. Includes entrée (grilled chicken, tilapia, pulled pork, meatloaf, etc.) with two sides (roasted veggies, potatoes, etc.).

It's so convenient, a healthy meal, and incredibly tasty. I guess my rant is that I love Wegmans.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Crock pot and a husband who does his half.

Lucky you!
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    God, how do you handle grad school PLUS a baby? Did the grad school; never had the energy for a baby. Certainly couldn't have done both at once.

I too am curious what your husband is doing while you're doing all this.