Resistance bands for building strength?

Options
So I have struggled with disordered eating for most of this year. Extreme calorie restriction and laxative abuse took its toll on my health. Needless to say I'm weak physically and jiggly. I went from 208 to 167 in 4 months. I felt terrible. Some days I barely ate more than 500 calories.

About mid April I started to eat normally (1300-1800 cals) and I've started to have regular bowel moments again. I have maintained my weight for the most part. I see 163 on my scale sometimes but I'm usually 165-166 as of this week.

I gotten professional help for my demons and would like to really turn things around. (Still a work in progress.) I have no access to a gym, just my home treadmill and a set of bands. Cardio is no problem, it's my strength I'm worried about, that and flabby forearms. Could the use of these bands really help build my strength? Has anyone had success with them?

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I haven't used them exclusively, but I have used them in workouts and have gotten properly fatigued and sore so I know they work!

https://www.google.com/search?q=resistance+band+workout

Plus there a lot of bodyweight-only exercises that will also help you gain strength. Pushups, planks, tricep dips, bridges, squats, lunges, etc. all can be done with no equipment whatsoever.

Find some exercises you want to try and just get to it :) And good for you for facing those demons head-on, that's a very hard thing to do. Taking responsibility like that is a good indicator of future success!! And aren't we all a work in progress?
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say kudos for getting on track with your health - it’s admirable to be open and honest about difficult things. Good for you :smile:

I have no experience with resistance bands, but I have seen people use them in the weight lifting room at the gym and they looked really effective. I would definitely encourage you to do strength training - it’s my favourite thing (I use free weights at the gym and a progressive lifting program) and it really helped me have a more wholesome attitude towards my body, i.e. strength and health rather than thinness.

Best of luck, and I hope someone with more know-how on these things can give you some actual guidance :smile:
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Good for you for seeking help and trying to lose the right way!

I've heard that resistance bands are good and if you look on youtube there's tons of resistance band type workouts. I came across a couple last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkq0-jvz1Dc&index=29&list=WL
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VacqQHiRf1M&index=31&list=WL

Also like @sofaking6 said body weight exercises are good too. And yes, there are tons of bodyweight exercise routines on youtube.

Good luck on your journey.
  • gulogulo2014
    gulogulo2014 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the links and the encouragement. At most I can do a tricep dip but as for a push up, not even close. My 52 year old co worker is 100 lbs soaking wet and beat me in arm wrestling. In my defense, im pretty sure she's all muscle.

There's so much work to be done.

And there's so much misinformation about using bands. Hard to decide which to follow. Guess I'll start off slow, every other day with cardio in between.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I wish I could be more help! However, check out @GenElizabeth ’s amazing results here: getting strong at home can absolutely be done!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You can build strength as long as you are stressing the muscle. Doesn't matter if that's with bands, iron, rocks or your own body weight. I'd suggest some simple and effective bodyweight moves to start. If you can't do a push up, do them against a wall or a counter top. Check out you are your own gym
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    You can build strength as long as you are stressing the muscle. Doesn't matter if that's with bands, iron, rocks or your own body weight. I'd suggest some simple and effective bodyweight moves to start. If you can't do a push up, do them against a wall or a counter top. Check out you are your own gym

^^ What he said. I use resistance bands at home when i dont/cant go to the gym and they give me a great workout. As long as there is resistence in the movement your doing with it it will help with strenghening.
  • vinbar1
    vinbar1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I use them all the time. You can get a great workout with bands. Just make sure there is tension on the band when you push or pull. Start slow
  • tlhsuthrn76
    tlhsuthrn76 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    How do you log Toning/Strengthening bands. I've gone under "Strength" and it's not there??
  • Jmgkamp
    Jmgkamp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I found an excellent arm workout using SOUP CANS. Seriously. To start with. I laughed, until I tried it, and 5 minutes in my arms were aching something fierce!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the links and the encouragement. At most I can do a tricep dip but as for a push up, not even close. My 52 year old co worker is 100 lbs soaking wet and beat me in arm wrestling. In my defense, im pretty sure she's all muscle.

There's so much work to be done.

And there's so much misinformation about using bands. Hard to decide which to follow. Guess I'll start off slow, every other day with cardio in between.

I started doing pushups against the wall, then leaning on the kitchen counter, and 6 months later I'm just starting to do them on my knees :) Progress!!!!

Try not to worry too much, be careful with your range of motion, do good warmups before and good stretches after, and you'll be fine. And don't worry, the super soreness won't last forever either :)
  • bobcap2526
    bobcap2526 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good post! I started working out mid-April of this year after a 30 year hiatus (not recommended). With my routine, I use resistance bands from bodylastics twice a week for 30 to 40 minutes and can tell you the work out is great. I focus primarily on upper body and core exercises and am seeing good results with muscle tone. Resistance band training is harder than it looks. I also go to a gym 3 or 4 times a week for treadmill cardio, typically walking a 4.0 mph pace for 40 to 60 minutes per session. Good all around routine for me. With both resistance bands and treadmill walking, and of course watching my caloric intake, I have dropped 24lbs with 22 to go to reach my target weight, but most importantly being fit. I would recommend searching for resistance band training on youtube. There are a number of great workouts to guide someone. I really like the videos from Zeus Fitness. Also on a side note, I am reading all the old stuff (Fit or Fat etc..) by Covert Bailey. Totally makes sense to me and I follow his guidelines religiously - never felt better!