MFP Baseline Calorie Adjustments Over Time

Options
pwponton44
pwponton44 Posts: 17 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello All. I have been using the App for 30 days and have lost approximately 6 pounds. I assume that as I continue to lose weight my baseline calorie intake will or should be lowered for continued weight loss. Is this done automatically by the program or do I have to manually adjust my baseline intake or goal? If the latter, how will I know when to do so?

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    When you enter your new weight, mfp will automatically reduce your calorie goal.
  • pwponton44
    pwponton44 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Christine - Thanks for the quick response,
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I would recalculate goals by going to http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals

you are prompted from memory every 10 lbs. I disagree with Christine I have never seen anything happen automatically when logging weight.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    @yarwell I just went in and changed by weight to 5kgs less, and it automatically changed my goals from 1500 calories down to 1210
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I've done this twice using the website despite losing over 20 lbs and it's never worked, nor automatically changed.

It's never worked by entering my weight on the app either.

Does it only work if you change your goals on the app?
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    @yarwell I just went in and changed by weight to 5kgs less, and it automatically changed my goals from 1500 calories down to 1210

Yikes that was a big calorie drop!!

• Christine_72
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I've done this twice using the website despite losing over 20 lbs and it's never worked, nor automatically changed.

I did it on the app. Haven't tried on the pc. It's reduced every single time I've changed my weight.

I know right! How depressing. It was still set to lose .25kg a week and sedentary though.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

I did it on the app. Haven't tried on the pc. It's reduced every single time I've changed my weight.

Good to know. On the app, it doesn't seem to change your calorie limit when you "add status" of weight. Are you doing it by going into "Goals" and updating your current weight there?
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options

I know right! How depressing. It was still set to lose .25kg a week and sedentary though.
    ​It depends on how you change your current weight whether your goals get updated or not.

If you are updating your current weight by a daily check-in (MY HOME > Check-In on the Web version or Menu/More > Progress on the mobile app), your goals will not be updated automatically. Using this method, MFP will prompt you when you check-in a current weight that is at least 10 pounds different than the last time you updated your goals.

If you are updating your current weight by accessing the function on the mobile app from Menu/More > Goals, instead of Progress, then your goals may be updated depending on the magnitude of the updated current weight change.

@christinev297
    I suspect you are updating your current weight by going through the Goals area and not through the Progress area of the mobile app, so that is why your goals get updated when you change your current weight. But hey, I may be wrong and there may be a bug.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

you went into goal setting, or just entered your weight in Check-in ?

• Christine_72
    Options
    I went into the goals setting. Not check- in