New Scale - different than the old scale...

Options
So while I shouldn't be concerned so much with what the scale says I do actively track that metric. Good or bad I put it down.

So today I picked up a digital scale to replace the old style spring scale I have. I was sick of it needing to be adjusted if I looked at it funny or bumped it just right.

The new scale put in me in 4-5 lbs more than the old scale. So do I just take the hit and plug in the new scale weight or do I just hold off till monday when I see my Doctor and reset via what that scale says?

Replies

• invie
    invie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Your old scale doesn't sound like it was too accurate. In the end it's a number and a way to track trending changes. Using an inaccurate measuring tool isn't going to help.

Take the hit and hopefully your new scale is consistent and shows you the trending change in your weight.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I would say take the hit. Make sure the new scale is accurate with itself. So stand on it several times in a row and make sure it says the same thing. Then plug in the weight it gives you. Not all scales will say the same thing even if you stand on one right after the other.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue. My new digital scale matched the doctor's office perfectly. I initially took the hit, then being obsessive-compulsive realized that my old scale was consistently reading 10Lbs low and I manually adjusted every old reading up by 10 lbs (I already knew that my scale disagreed with the dr.'s office by 10 lbs!)

It was traumatic, but at least my progress (-35 lbs) is accurate now.
  • GWehsling
    GWehsling Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Take the hit and in your notes add that you changed scales - if you have a dumbbell or other fixed weight at home, you can use it to check the new scale is more or less accurate. I realised my digital bathroom scale is not 100% - take three measurements of yourself 20 minutes apart and see.... I decided to only use the gym scale (it looks expensive) only at about the same time of day. My gym record covers all my other metrics, so I just stick to their equipment now. The bathroom scale was $10, so I guess it's really just a rough guide for me, now.

Also, this happened to me when I replaced my spring loaded kitchen scale with a digital kitchen scale - suddenly, smaller (but more accurate) portions...