When will my coordination come back??

Options
I started my new lifestyle about 9 weeks ago. I'm really frustrated with myself. I used to be able to pick up choreography and dance really quickly but now I have two left feet. Today I tried a dance cardio video that I have but I couldn't keep up at all. Honestly if I could watch a video of myself I'm sure it would've won Funniest Home Videos.

When did I get two left feet and will I be able to dance and pick up choreography again???

Replies

• rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    you have only given yourself 9wks. how long did it take for you to get this out of shape? relax have patience and you will do fine. :drinker:
  • cls0824
    cls0824 Posts: 19
    Options
    Sadly it took about 7 years for me to get to this point. I used to be in great shape and LOVE working out. I love working out again so that's a good thing. :smile:

I know I will get there and the journey will not be quick. I'd rather the journey be a bit slower so that I keep learning great habits and continue to burn my new lifestyle into my brain. I still have 89 lbs until my goal. Now that i really think about it...I shouldn't expect to be able to move like I could when I was in shape. Of course my coordination is off!! I have an additional 80+ lbs to move.
  • Melk967
    Melk967 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have run into the same problem as you! I was never super coordinated, but now I'm terrible at dancing (my exercise of choice currently). I'm so bad I am embarrassed to step foot in an actual exercise class, so lately I've just been using DVDs and online videos. However, I think with practice (i.e. repition!) it will come back! I enjoy doing Just Dance on the Wii, and when I first did it, I did OK on a lot of the dances (I mainly just used my arms though). Now I get almost perfect scores consistently on several of the dances, doing all the arm AND leg work. The moves are definitely easier to do. Also, I think what sometimes happens with DVDs and such is that they don't go over the dance moves very long or at all, so then it's hard to catch on. In real classes, you repeat steps, routines, etc. for a while. I really like these Youtube videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/GRDanceFitness#p/u/37/xwZ2v40C-ns) , because at the end of them they go over how to do all the steps (though lately a lot do not have that :(). They are pretty easy to catch on to if you repeat them a lot.

So, yes, I think over time your coordination will come back! It just takes practice and patience :)