Options
2»

Replies

• SweetTea111104
    SweetTea111104 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    @SweetTea111104

Thank you so much :smile:

I am not currently going to the gym in ramadan but im going to start from tomorrow. Maybe after iv broken my fast to do a bit of cardio. Otherwise i have cut back majorly on my food intake in Ramadan and lost 6 pounds ;)

Look at you! It is very rare that people lose weight during Ramadan so you are doing awesome. Keep up the good work. And keep your head up when you go back into that gym girl! You are the bomb!
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    You may be misinterpreting what people are thinking when they look at you in the gym. What is causing you to think people are judging you? They might only be looking because seeing a full hijab at the gym is unusual. I would look, because seeing that is pretty rare, even here in L.A., and then I would think "good for her, she is here trying to get healthier like the rest of us and taking a bit of a risk because she is not wearing the same gym "uniform" everyone is used to seeing."

Same. I wouldn't give an overweight person in the tank top/shorts uniform a second glance, but I would probably look a little longer at someone in a hijab. Not to be judgmental, but because I've never seen that in a gym. And I would be mortified if the other person considered it an impolite or racist stare.

I hope that's your situation and once you're not the new girl, no one will stare.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I live in a very multi-ethnic area, and see women in hijab and long sleeves/pants at the gym frequently (even ladies in burqinis in the pool!). Some ladies choose to use the women's section at the gym (which is closed off and they can work out in less restrictive clothing), but most just go about their business in the regular area. Even though I see it frequently, a woman in hijab still catches my eye--but not for very long. It's just different, you know? I'd notice a bright t-shirt or a big hair bow, too.

Just keep doing what's best for your health. No one else should have the right to take that away from you (whether that's for real, or whether you're just letting them do it in your mind).
  • Ioras88
    Ioras88 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I would like to know (I'm sorry if this is rude to ask): Is there an option of a women-only gym near you?
    I'm going to this fitness place where I do circuit training and it's for women only (men are not even allowed to enter the place at all!) so we have a lot of women there who also normally wear the hijab, only that they wear 'normal' gym clothes during their training. :)

If not, don't lose confidence!
  • SyedaBukhari96
    SyedaBukhari96 Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Unfortunately there are no women only gyms near me :(

Thank u so much everyone. U have all made me feel soo much better!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You have done a great job losing weight. <3
    Truthfully, most people in the gym are paying attention to themselves. They might take a quick notice of a new or different person but then go back to whatever they were doing.
    The only time someone will pay attention in the gym is when someone is wasting time by hogging the equipment.
  • im3va
    im3va Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat, I used to go to an all ladies gym where I didn't have to cover- until they closed down, and I just haven't been brave enough try out the new gym that opened in my building. I think I will give it a try and not worry too much about being fully covered and being stared at. Also congrats for losing weight during Ramadan!
  • SyedaBukhari96
    SyedaBukhari96 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    @im3va

Haha thanks!
  • TasnimEz
    TasnimEz Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I think it's easy to feel like people are staring and judging because of what's happening in some western countries. Unfortunately. I hope it's not like that where you live but where I'm from (Sweden) hate is on the rise. A lot of staring, comments etc. That can make you a bit worried and you might be feeling that people are looking in a negative way when really they might just be curious. :smile:
    I went to a public pool for the first time in a burkini and sure people looked at me but I decided it was because it's just not something they see every day. :wink:
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    If someone gives you shade over your covering, it reflects nothing about you but says a whole lot about them, and nothing good.
  • hugheseva
    hugheseva Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Do you have an all-woman gym in your vicinity? I am in the US and we have Total Woman. I saw 2-3 Muslim ladies - one of them is a trainer! - who wear gym clothes in the gym although they arrive in a hijab and leave in a hijab.
  • hugheseva
    hugheseva Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I didn't read it thru as this subject was discussed already. :)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Hi..
    My name is Zahida.
    Im a practising muslims and i observe the full hijab. I wear a headscarf and full sleeved tops in the gym. Recently i have lost all my confidence and i think everyone is judging me in the gym. Any motivation and support would be appreciated because k feel really down.. i havent been to the gym for 2 months..

I wouldn't worry about people watching you....

People watch me at the gym on a regular basis. I know, because they are blatantly stopping and staring. It used to bother me, but it doesn't anymore. See, I lift heavy...and the people stopping and staring are (mostly women) in their 60s and 70s. They don't expect a woman to be using the *big boy* weights. They don't expect to see a 5'2" woman grabbing handwraps and practicing self defense with the 6' tall (very muscular ) male trainer.

My guess is that IF people are staring at you, it is because they may be under the impression that Muslim women are not *allowed* to go to the gym. You are breaking stereotypes!