somehow i'm gaining instead of losing!

Options
for the past 3 weeks I have been working out for a minimum of an hour a day, i've been combining swimming laps, kick boxing, and walking. a week ago I weighed myself and had gained 3 lbs. I told myself it was me gaining muscle and i kept up. well this morning I weighed myself and I gained an additional 2 lbs in a week! I just want to break down and cry. could this still be muscle/water weight? if so when will I actually lose lbs? it's so hard to stay motivated when i've gained 5 lbs in 3 weeks :(

Replies

• flyawaybyebye
    flyawaybyebye Posts: 250
    Options
    Losing weight has way, way, way more to do with what you eat than how much you exercise. What are you eating? And how many calories? Contrary to popular wisdom, you can't just workout a lot and then eat whatever you want, unfortunately. :(
  • Solomonre0
    Solomonre0 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    It could be that you're overestimating the amount of calories you burn, and underestimating what you eat. Good for you though working out as much as you are, keep it up! And make sure to get your 8 glasses of water in a day.
  • iheartralphie
    iheartralphie Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    are you eating enough? Sounds weird but this happened to me when I was working out an hour and a half a day and not eating even close to my calorie goal. Started eating closer to my calorie goal like someone suggested, and i lost that 3 lbsI gained in a week, and continued losing.
  • xanderandconnorsmommy
    Options
    I have been eating mainly chicken breasts and rice for lunch and then usually a sandwhich at night, I don't usually eat anything in the mornings. I guess i'll start tracking my calories better and see if that's where the issue is, but i'm not eating any more than I did when I wasn't exercising so I don't see why I would have gained so much weight.
  • jazyjen
    jazyjen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    May not be eating enough! Your body will think you are starving and hold on to every bit of food if you are not eating enough to sustain all that activity. Eat clean and eat often. 5 small meals a day, that include protein. Lots of water, sleep and avoid alcohol. You will see it happen!~ :wink:
    Jen
  • Tracy184
    Tracy184 Posts: 74
    Options
    You should always eat something in the morning. It starts your metabolism. If you're not eating until lunch, your metabolism is basically still in sleep mode until lunch. Have a few strips of turkey bacon or half a protein shake or something in the morning. And of course, drink tons of water.
  • corysboredagain
    Options
    1) it very well could be muscle. invest in a nice tape measure and start taking measurements so you will know.

2) you may not be eating ENOUGH to meet your metabolism's needs, and your body is hanging onto fat, rather then burning it. try eating more healthy, non-processed foods more often. (for me this means greek yogurt & sugarless granola, banana, turkey sandwich on multigrain with hummus and veggies, grapes, black beans & brown rice with veggies & salsa, sugar free applesauce, almonds etc)

3) you may be eating foods your particularly sensitive too. you may want to watch what you're eating and weigh daily (in the mornings before breakfast) to see what foods might be pushing the scale up

if none of these suggestions work, or just either way, i'd suggest seeing a doctor and maybe a nutritionist to work out these issues!

good luck & don't give up!
  • xanderandconnorsmommy
    Options
    thanks everyone :) i'll start eating a small breakfast and making sure i'm eating enough calories. i've been so busy latley I forget to eat throughout the day. I will get a tape measurer and measure too that way I can tell if i'm losing inches instead of just pounds :)
  • vixi76
    vixi76 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You could be retaining water, watch your sodium levels. And yes, you could be gaining muscle. I did nothing but gain weight when I started MFP, but I was losing inches. Use a tape measure, it will tell you if your body is getting smaller.