Good Scales. HELP!

Options
I am in the market for a new scale. My old one died and I want a really nice one to continue on my weight loss. Any suggestions?

Replies

• craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    i got one of the biggest loser scales from bed bath & beyond. it's in .2 increments and cost about $40. also came with a biggest loser cookbook. there's come cool setting on it too, but i just use it for my weight :) it was the THIRD scale i bought and didn't have to return because it was broken or didn't work. i love it.
  • dawnmarieee
    dawnmarieee Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've had a Tanita digital scale for a few years now and love it. It's the first scale that I've owned that really seems consistently accurate. I think I paid about $35 for it on Amazon. When I was looking for a new scale, I researched on line what other people liked, and this brand got consistently good reviews.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I am in the market for a new scale. My old one died and I want a really nice one to continue on my weight loss. Any suggestions?

Scales are very accurate, the human body's weight isn't. It can fluctuate 5lbs per day. I'd invest in a tape measure :-O
  • judswi
    judswi Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    weight watchers scale, it is the same as when you get weight at the doctors I have mine for 4 years now and is still accurate.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I want to know this too. My scale is 4 lbs light. I have my friend weight herself at work, ( she works at the post office and their scale is checked regulary) I would like to believe I am 4 lbs lighter then I am but....
  • miss_jamaica
    miss_jamaica Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I agree. This scale is amazing. You can get it at Target too.
    I've had a Tanita digital scale for a few years now and love it. It's the first scale that I've owned that really seems consistently accurate. I think I paid about $35 for it on Amazon. When I was looking for a new scale, I researched on line what other people liked, and this brand got consistently good reviews.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Bathroom-Technology/dp/B001KXZ808/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303128064&sr=8-1

Love this scale!!
  • CristineD
    CristineD Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have a Weightwatchers 4-in-1 Body Analyser scale. It allows you to set up a profile for up to 10 different people that will be using it. It's very accurate as it factors in age, height and gender. It can measure in kg, pounds and stone. The 4-in-1 function measures Weight, BMI, Body Fat %, Water %. I love it!!!!
  • ewegner
    ewegner Posts: 48 Member
    Options

Scales are very accurate, the human body's weight isn't. It can fluctuate 5lbs per day. I'd invest in a tape measure :-O

I know everyone says to measure instead of weigh, but I've lost 42 lbs in 5 months and have onlt lost 1 inch off my legs, 0.5 inches off my arms, and 2 inches off my waist. If that was all I was going by to motivate me to keep going I wouldve quit already. Last time I lost alot of weight, the inches came off and it was very rewarding, but I guess my body didn't cooperate this time. I've used the biggest loser scale in the past, but the batteries ran out, which I've never had happen with a scale before, so just a heads up! :)
  • asallen7
    asallen7 Posts: 301
    Options
    I do measure, but at this point I am looking for a scale because I have a significant amount of weight to lose. Of course there will be times when I will lose inches instead of pounds, but in the long run I need to weigh less. Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep them coming! Right now I am really interested in the Tanita scale from Target, but will wait for more suggestions.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I have a Weightwatchers 4-in-1 Body Analyser scale. It allows you to set up a profile for up to 10 different people that will be using it. It's very accurate as it factors in age, height and gender. It can measure in kg, pounds and stone. The 4-in-1 function measures Weight, BMI, Body Fat %, Water %. I love it!!!!
    A scale can't accurately measure body fat% or water% and you can look up BMI here on MFP or a hundred other sites.

Consumer Reports rates Taylor #7506 as number 1 and Tanita is good too.
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I've had several digital scales over the years, but they always seem tricky and hard to use. I recently on someone recommendation got one of these
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032TNPOE
    Eatsmart Precision Plus Digital Bathroom Scale with Ultra Wide Platform and Step-on Technology, 440-Pounds

I love it. It works fast, and is very accurate (I tested with hand weights). Also, the display is back lit and big, so it's easy to see. Take a look at the reviews on Amazon as well. Also, how can you beat that for $37?
  • jah7700
    jah7700 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I've had an analog Taylor scale similar to the one below for about 5 years and it works great! I have never had real success with digital, depending on how you shift your weight I have seen 5lb fluctuations if I'm standing straight or leaning this way or that a bit. Could just be me...

http://www.amazon.com/Analog-400-Steel-Bath-Scale/dp/B003VWXVU0/ref=sr_1_44?ie=UTF8&qid=1306587640&sr=8-44
  • registers
    Options
    I saw this, if you met your goal weight and you don't like how you look in the mirror would you be happy? What if you only lost half of your goal weight and you look excellent. Would you postpone your joy untill you met your goal weight?

The point is, the number doesn't matter, what matters is how you feel and look. Ladies like to be thinner and wear a new bikini or a new dress, or just look sexy. What does this have to do with a number? nothing.

Focusing on your "real" goal. Because like I said your weight can easily change from day to day.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I saw this, if you met your goal weight and you don't like how you look in the mirror would you be happy? What if you only lost half of your goal weight and you look excellent. Would you postpone your joy untill you met your goal weight?

The point is, the number doesn't matter, what matters is how you feel and look. Ladies like to be thinner and wear a new bikini or a new dress, or just look sexy. What does this have to do with a number? nothing.

Focusing on your "real" goal. Because like I said your weight can easily change from day to day.

The number DOES MATTER. There is a HUGE difference between 250 and 150 pounds on a 5 foot 6 woman. Stop all this "only measure yourself" nonsense. If someone wants to weigh their body weight, what does it matter to you?
  • registers
    Options

The number DOES MATTER. There is a HUGE difference between 250 and 150 pounds on a 5 foot 6 woman. Stop all this "only measure yourself" nonsense. If someone wants to weigh their body weight, what does it matter to you?

Okay so you rather be150 with 50% bodyfat. compared to 150lbs with 15% bodyfat, makes sense. What does it matter to me, i want people to be successful and happy. What does my post matter to you? You seem emotional you should stop weighing yourself too much, it does cause a lot of mood swings.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options

Okay so you rather be150 with 50% bodyfat. compared to 150lbs with 15% bodyfat, makes sense. What does it matter to me, i want people to be successful and happy. What does my post matter to you? You seem emotional you should stop weighing yourself too much, it does cause a lot of mood swings.

LOL No. I am not emotional, I've just seen you putting people down about weighing themselves...first on my friend's page and now here. And I wanted to know why you care if people weigh themselves? I haven't weighed myself in 2 weeks. I just notice that you push your opinions and seem rather closed minded about them. So you are telling me that you do NOT care about the weight? Only the inches? Interesting.

The original poster was not asking your opinion or advice, she was asking for a good scale. I have no advice on that as I hate my scale and need to find an analog one.
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Health O Meter scale from Walmart (http://www.healthometer.com/Product.aspx?cid=1087&pid=8519) for $36. I love it!!

Here are the "specs"

* 2.0" Royal blue backlit display
    * Accurately measures weight up to 400 pound in 0.2 pound increments
    * Stores up to 4 user profiles and tracks previous 12 weigh ins
    * Measures body fat, hydration, and bone mass
    * Calculates BMI
    * 4 Load cell technology ensures accuracy and repeatability over time
    * Instant on feature
    * 4 Replaceable AA batteries inlcuded
    * 5 Year limited warranty

I thought I'd never love a scale....but I do this one.
  • registers
    Options

LOL No. I am not emotional, I've just seen you putting people down about weighing themselves...first on my friend's page and now here. And I wanted to know why you care if people weigh themselves? I haven't weighed myself in 2 weeks. I just notice that you push your opinions and seem rather closed minded about them. So you are telling me that you do NOT care about the weight? Only the inches? Interesting.

The original poster was not asking your opinion or advice, she was asking for a good scale. I have no advice on that as I hate my scale and need to find an analog one.

From a psychological stand point, people are happy when they get what they want. People weigh themselves for a reason, they "think" it will lead to a goal they have. They might say "i want to way x number of pounds to fit in to this dress." will x number of pounds really lead to you fitting in that dress??!?!?! maybe not. So did you REALLY meet your goal? nope.

As you know, as we all know on here, scales can be very frustrating, sometimes they go up and sometimes down, sometimes they don't move. The human body has too many variables. Yes I agree, if you weigh yourself periodically it's okay. but if you do ti multiple time a week, or weekly... May not sure your true success. There has been many times when people think they're not losing weight, but their waist line is getting smaller.
  • smart82
    smart82 Posts: 6
    Options
    slater body analysa its fab, had it for a few years, it cost 75 quid tho but good investment x