Tips on how to avoid late night snacking HELP!!

Options
What are tips you have about how to avoid late night snacking? I mean the type of snacking where I'm not actually hungry, just want to be eating something. PLEASE HELP! :)

Replies

• BexiM89
    BexiM89 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Drink water. I was told that we normally mistake hunger for thirst
  • jacquifrench304
    jacquifrench304 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I drink chamomile or peppermint tea , huge cup and just sip ..
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    • Don't keep lots of snack foods in the house.
    • If you have snack foods in the house, pre-package them in bags of smaller amounts of calories, and leave room for a bag in your daily calorie counting.
    • Eat less in your other meals throughout the day.
    • Stop thinking of yourself as a person who can't help late night snacking. Think of yourself as a person who cares for themselves and can manage their food intake.
    • Weigh and log all your food in MFP.
    • Good luck!
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Do you know what triggers it? Boredom? Habit? Need something to do with hands while watching tv? If you can work out what makes you want to snack you can think of alternatives.

Or... save some calories so that you can have a snack and fit it in your diary!
  • MrsAllyn
    MrsAllyn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Get some fruit and freeze it. When u feel like snacking go suck on it. It will take longer to eat and you won't eat as much. I do this with berries and grapes. Or try going to bed earlier.. Good Luck.
  • Bellodesiderare
    Bellodesiderare Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    • Don't keep lots of snack foods in the house.
    • If you have snack foods in the house, pre-package them in bags of smaller amounts of calories, and leave room for a bag in your daily calorie counting.
    • Eat less in your other meals throughout the day.
    • Stop thinking of yourself as a person who can't help late night snacking. Think of yourself as a person who cares for themselves and can manage their food intake.
    • Weigh and log all your food in MFP.
    • Good luck!

^^ All of this. I eat the majority of my calories at night, because that is when I am the hungriest. I successfully lost 78 lbs doing that and have kept it off for 9 months and counting. You can do this; you just have to plan for it and tailor your food timing around your lifestyle to make it work. Good Luck :)
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I eat around half of my calories in the evening. Supper is at 6:30 or 7pm, and then at 8 or 9 I have my dessert yogurt, plus hard candies, gum, and sometimes tea.
  • clrug0912
    clrug0912 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Find a healthy alternative or like others have mentioned, drink a cup of tea. I'm the type that just feels content with something to drink or eat while watching TV.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I solved this problem by budgeting for an evening snacks. I make my own snack mix in a big container and store it with a measured scoop.

If i were to take that tub to my reading chair or simply pour some unmeasured into a bowl, i could mindlessly munch on the whole damn thing. but when i put a single scoop into a bowl and take the bowl out of the kitchen with me, i find that i'm completely satisfied and don't have an urge to fill it again.

So now the trick is just balancing my day's meals around the idea that i want to have enough room for the snack calories in the evening. .

It's a lot easier to budget for the snack ahead of time than to try and put it out of my mind when a habitual craving rears its insistent head while i'm trying to wind down for the day!
  • jwjjyoung
    jwjjyoung Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would make a large glass of flavored water and chew different flavored gums... and then go to bed early so I wouldn't have to think about my stomach. :-)