popcorn?

Options
my family pops popcorn at least once a week. I use a stir crazy popper and use a fairly generous amount of canola oil to pop it in. Then I salt it, but add no butter or anything else. How bad is this? I can't seem to find much about it in my diet books I have.
I can't stand airpopped-no flavor-and if I don't use enough oil it is too dry and makes me feel like I am going to choke.

Replies

• 3bearsmom
    Options
    my family pops popcorn at least once a week. I use a stir crazy popper and use a fairly generous amount of canola oil to pop it in. Then I salt it, but add no butter or anything else. How bad is this? I can't seem to find much about it in my diet books I have.
    I can't stand airpopped-no flavor-and if I don't use enough oil it is too dry and makes me feel like I am going to choke.
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Well I looked it up and as long as you use the oil that you are useing it SHOULD be OK see attached from Wikipiedia::happy:
    --Diann...:flowerforyou:
    Canola oil has been claimed to be healthy due to its low, or even zero, saturated fat and high—almost 60%—monounsaturated oil content and beneficial omega-3 fatty acids profile. The Canola Council of Canada states that it is completely safe and is the healthiest of all commonly used cooking oils.[9] Traditional rapeseed oil contains higher amounts of erucic acid and glucosinolates, both of which were deemed undesirable for human consumption by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Erucic acid is implicated with cancer and rancidity and glucosinolates are goitrogenic.[citation needed] Canola oil contains only 0.5 to 1% erucic acid, well below the 2 percent limit set by the USDA.[10]

For many years rapeseed oil was used for human consumption in Canada despite the known undesirable effects of glucosinolates and erucic acid, which were considered to be acceptable due the health benefits of the oil. Researchers were later able to develop "double-zero" varieties by the 1980s without significant levels of erucic acid or glucosinolates.

Nonetheless, controversy continued, with an article implicating Canola oil with glaucoma and the Mad Cow Disease.[11] This article was taken up, condensed and widely circulated in a story via email. The industry and many health professionals condemn this as an email hoax making wholly unsubstantiated claims.[12]
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    My husband and I eat the same thing. We use some 0 calorie popcorn seasoning. I don't think it's too bad. It's way better than chowing down on some chips to rid yourself of that salty craving!

*Kistinbee*
  • rseman
    rseman Posts: 50
    Options
    don't get grossed out but I love air pop but I put hot sauce instead of salt, butter or oil. It is REALLY good!!!
  • chrispchef1
    Options
    grossed out? nah, that idea rocks! will have to try it tonight~!
  • suzyc1212
    Options
    I love airpopped popcorn-I either put hot sauce on it, or the zero calorie spray butter. It's great when you just have to have crunchy salty things! Very low calories and it has health benefits to it! Sure beats a bag of greasy potatoe chips!!
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    one tablespoon of oil is over 100 cals, not worth it to me, for popcorn:noway:
  • 3bearsmom
    Options
    actually that doesn't sound gross. I am someone who LOVES to try new things...er well, nothing like dried fried spiders or anything like that, but your idea sounds interesting.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    While canola oil isn't that bad in moderation, if you can get away with air poped and a salt alternative (like celery salt) or that hot sauce idea above (sounds interesting, gonna have to try it) you could probably save some calories. But I wouldn't stress over it, especially if you guys are only doing it once or twice a week, it's not like you are packing down thousands of calories.

Remember, its not only the type of food you eat, it's the constant, day-to-day eating habits. One bad day never kills a diet! It's when you allow that one bad day to ruin your habits that kills the diet.
  • Erica92627
    Options
    don't get grossed out but I love air pop but I put hot sauce instead of salt, butter or oil. It is REALLY good!!!

no no no.. all wrong you need tapatio(sp? ) lol coming from a white girl here.

Now that is a falvor that rocks.
    Nothing gross about it.

If you don't have tapatio then you use hot sauce packs from del taco or taco bell. lol
  • chrispchef1
    Options
    has anyone tried 'popcorn seasoning' they sell at the grocery... ?

it didn't look bad, calorie-wise, just wondering if it tastes any good?