Still struggling with "Christmas" weight

Options
Hi, MFP.

I am currently: F / 25 years old / 5'6'' / 146 lbs. In October 2012, I was at my high weight of over 215 lbs. I made (significant) changes. In October 2013, I hit my initial goal weight of 140. I ended up going down a bit more 135 "to be safe", and spent about a year between 133-139. I maintained that range successfully for about a year, until this past Christmas.

After the holidays, I was up at ~146. It had happened before after a vacation, etc so I wasn't worried. Normally, I'd just get back on the wagon, count my calories like I was still "maintaining" 135, and I'd lose the extra weight in a few weeks. And that's what I did. But it's July now. And I'm still at 146. I did manage to gain 5 pounds on top of that (honeymoon!), which I lost. But I cannot get rid of this 7-10 lbs I put on over the holidays. I track and weigh food religiously. I joined a gym in April and now get between 150-180 minutes of moderate exercise per week (cardio and strength training, before I was only focusing on diet). But I can't let go of this little... extra I put on.

I know maintenance is a process, but I did fine for a year and now I can't help but feel like I'm failing myself. I know in the grand scheme of things this is not much weight, but I'm worried I'm going to lose control of myself and end up gaining everything back.

Can anyone offer any advice/encouragement? Anyone else been here before? Thank you all for reading.

One more note: I know people will want to see my diary, but unfortunately I log elsewhere. And yes - I do mind my macros! I have a medical issue that requires it. No, the medical issue does not cause weight gain.

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If you aren't losing weight, you aren't eating less than you burn. There is no other explanation.
  • kathyk519
    kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I just read that 30 minutes a day of moderate exercise is for people who want to maintain what they currently have, so if you want to lose, you need to up the amount of exercise or the intensity.
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    either cut your calories or exercise more. You should probably put yourself in the .5 loss a week range and just take the extra off pretty slow. I wouldn't want to carry that much extra weight either. Good luck!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    at this point it isn't christmas weight. it's just your weight.
  • KisaraKaiba
    KisaraKaiba Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It is just frustrating that what was working before is no longer working. I have begun restricting more this week, so we'll see how that goes. It is possible I have overestimated my TDEE, although I'm not sure why what worked for a year suddenly isn't doing the trick.
    at this point it isn't christmas weight. it's just your weight.

That's why it was in quotes. :P I'm aware.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    <<It is just frustrating that what was working before is no longer working.>> It's frustrating, but I don't think it's that unusual. Your body is always changing. You're a year older than you were last year, and though you say your medical condition doesn't cause weight gain, it's probably having some kind of effect on something. Maybe you've changed some habits that you're not even aware you've changed and it's making you slightly less active in your everyday life. Or you're experiencing portion creep. Or a combination of all of the above.
  • KisaraKaiba
    Options
    scrittrice wrote: »
    <<It is just frustrating that what was working before is no longer working.>> It's frustrating, but I don't think it's that unusual. Your body is always changing. You're a year older than you were last year, and though you say your medical condition doesn't cause weight gain, it's probably having some kind of effect on something. Maybe you've changed some habits that you're not even aware you've changed and it's making you slightly less active in your everyday life. Or you're experiencing portion creep. Or a combination of all of the above.

All of these are very good points. I appreciate the reply. You may be onto something with habits that have changed without my awareness. Something to think about for sure.
  • Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    "Or you're experiencing portion creep". I love this description!
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    kathyk519 wrote: »
    I just read that 30 minutes a day of moderate exercise is for people who want to maintain what they currently have, so if you want to lose, you need to up the amount of exercise or the intensity.

No.

CICO. Exercise is not necessary for weight loss.
  • triinityz
    triinityz Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Similar issues here; I quit smoking in December and that on top of the holidays I put on weight as well. I've had a HELL of a time taking it off too. What I've found is that I'm sabotaging myself in some area's so take a really good look at your lifestyle and what you are doing. For me it's alcohol.. no matter how "good" I am with diet or exercise, if I drink my body burns it first and my losses SLAM to a halt. Not saying that's you obviously; but looking at all aspects of your life, not just the cals/burns might help. Good luck!!
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I totally understand where you're coming from. I hadn't reached goal, but I put on about 10 lbs between being home for the holidays (Christmas) and a vacation with the bf for Valentine's Day and can't seem to get it off. To be fair, I'm not consistent with my exercise or diet (I blame work, but it's also just me). It does feel like I have to work twice as hard to see half the results as when I originally lost the weight 2013-2014 and it is frustrating. I don't have any great advice since I'm not getting anywhere, but good luck!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Have you taken any other measurements besides weight? How are your clothes fitting you? You may be doing a bit of recomp since you starting some exercise (especially the strength training).

I do suggest tightening up your food logging for a while - weight and measure everything properly. But remember that the scale is only one way of measuring your progress. One could, potentially, be smaller and have less fat at a slightly higher weight because of variations in muscle.
  • KisaraKaiba
    Options
    mathjulz wrote: »
    Have you taken any other measurements besides weight? How are your clothes fitting you? You may be doing a bit of recomp since you starting some exercise (especially the strength training).

This is possible, and I have *not* been taking measurements... but I'm certainly going to start. As far as clothes go, I still fit in the same clothes and they don't seem any tighter, but I was chalking that up to the fact that it was a (relatively) small gain.

I also agree that a re-doubling of focus is in order. I do always log, but as others have suggested, sometimes other habits creep in that we may not consider. Thanks again, all.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hi, MFP.

I am currently: F / 25 years old / 5'6'' / 146 lbs. In October 2012, I was at my high weight of over 215 lbs. I made (significant) changes. In October 2013, I hit my initial goal weight of 140. I ended up going down a bit more 135 "to be safe", and spent about a year between 133-139. I maintained that range successfully for about a year, until this past Christmas.

After the holidays, I was up at ~146. It had happened before after a vacation, etc so I wasn't worried. Normally, I'd just get back on the wagon, count my calories like I was still "maintaining" 135, and I'd lose the extra weight in a few weeks. And that's what I did. But it's July now. And I'm still at 146. I did manage to gain 5 pounds on top of that (honeymoon!), which I lost. But I cannot get rid of this 7-10 lbs I put on over the holidays. I track and weigh food religiously. I joined a gym in April and now get between 150-180 minutes of moderate exercise per week (cardio and strength training, before I was only focusing on diet). But I can't let go of this little... extra I put on.

I know maintenance is a process, but I did fine for a year and now I can't help but feel like I'm failing myself. I know in the grand scheme of things this is not much weight, but I'm worried I'm going to lose control of myself and end up gaining everything back.

Can anyone offer any advice/encouragement? Anyone else been here before? Thank you all for reading.

One more note: I know people will want to see my diary, but unfortunately I log elsewhere. And yes - I do mind my macros! I have a medical issue that requires it. No, the medical issue does not cause weight gain.

if you're doing that, your margin for error is nill...your maintenance calories at 135 and 146 aren't going to be a whole lot different...if you're counting as to maintain 135 it really isn't surprising to me that you're just maintaining 146...if you want to cut then do a proper cut...pretty simple.
  • schandler1011
    schandler1011 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    What works for me to break out of a plateau like that is I spend a couple of days not counting calories and then I get back on track. It seems counter productive, but if your body gets used to the same thing over and over it won't change. Just my experience. :)
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I needed this. I am dealing with similar. Gained 10 pounds since Christmas. Maybe got complacent, couple pounds up then couple more and you know. I figure if we keep on it has to come off sooner or later, have a cheat now and then to stay sane but I don't want to gain any more even if I stay the same.
  • KisaraKaiba
    edited July 2015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    if you're doing that, your margin for error is nill...your maintenance calories at 135 and 146 aren't going to be a whole lot different...if you're counting as to maintain 135 it really isn't surprising to me that you're just maintaining 146...if you want to cut then do a proper cut...pretty simple.

This is very true. I have returned to full cut mode (no more "try to eat at desired maintenance"). I'm also - in the future - likely going to have to pay much closer attention to where my maintenance numbers actually are... Thank you for the straightforward input, it's helpful.