Creative clothing tips for when you are in-between sizes?

Options
Ok, I need a little help here.
I'm down 21 lbs and my size 14 shorts are to the point that I can't keep them up.
But being a 46 year old woman that has had 4 abdominal surgeries * the kind where the incisions were from the bellybutton down*, I have a foo-pa (a pouch) below my naval that is bigger on side than the other...* my last surgeon couldn't get the skin to close straight* and of course its where I currently carry most of the fat.
Size 12 "curvy girl" shorts are too loose in the butt, hips, and thighs but squish my middle. :(
It's summer in Texas and I need shorts! Any suggestions?

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    How about things with more stretch? You can buy the smaller size for the interim, but maxi dresses or anything with an empire waist may work well. Skirts and shirts/tanks, wrap dresses are all cooler in summer months.
    You can always try a lot of different brands/cuts to find slight variations that may work better for you. Curvy works well for me because I have bigger thighs and butt, but a smaller waist. Skinny or straight cuts may be better for a larger waist/FUPA. (I can't believe I actually used that acronym in writing) Lol!
  • TuffChixRule
    TuffChixRule Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I'm currently a size 16 (down from an 18W!) and some of my shorts are too big but 14's squish my foo-pa too. If you feel like sewing you can always take a tuck in the waist or if you hate to sew like I do, get a safety pin to hold the tuck together. Just remember to take out the safety pin before you wash the shorts.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Would high waisted shorts work to kind of hold in the belly? Stretch is good but may make the stomach more noticeable. Although yoga-style shorts and capris do tend to have the tummy minimized thing also..
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Size 14s are too big. Size 12 "curvy girl" shorts are too big.

I'd go with Size 12.

I've dropped from size 24 to size 12 and although some get big sooner than others, I haven't really had the problem of being able to wear one size until the next one fit. The bigger size might get loose before the smaller size fits, but before 14 falls off, 12 can be worn.

Am I missing something? Have I misunderstood you?
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Do you do skirts with the elastic at the waist? Or perhaps skorts (they may be a little bit more forgiving)?
  • BuxtonMayne
    BuxtonMayne Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    LOL @ FUPA! First time I've ever seen anyone say that on here..... I'm dead! :D:D:D

OP, like the others have said, maxi dresses and tummy minimizing yoga style capris are great for the summer. Or what about spanx? Or hipster undies. They are usually higher waist than bikini style and a lot of times they have control top for the ummm....FUPA. lol
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I would look for shorts or skirts that fit your hip measurement but have a stretchy waist. If you can't find anything in regular women's clothing look in maternity clothing.
  • x_AmandaJayne_x
    x_AmandaJayne_x Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Do you know anyone who could take them in a bit for you??
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    dresses?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Oof, I feel for you with that heat.

You could try the size 12's using the rubberband trick. Or you could try the layered look with a belly band.

My other suggestion would be a pair of these shorts or skimmers. I have a big waist with a lot of skin too and wear those. The elastic waist has a lot of give and as long as you wear a top that covers it, they look fine. I wouldn't wear my top tucked in like the models but I'm guessing you don't tuck in your tops much either.
  • karenlwashburn
    karenlwashburn Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I changed to skirts with elastic or sport skirts with a draw string. I didn't mean to shift to skirts as I do wear shorts normally but they are so comfortable and they provide more air flow. Bought one at Marshall's and I wear it nearly every day. There is no issues then with fit in other areas and I wear them with tunics that are bright, loose. You have to feel pretty while you lose weight and be comfortable. The tricks I've tried but to me that just isn't comfortable and makes me feel frumpy.
  • healthy_life2015
    healthy_life2015 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Don't look at curvy fit shorts/pants. Those are for pear shapes who have a bigger bum and thighs but thinner waist. So they are the opposite of what you need.
  • aekaya
    aekaya Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Maxi skirts or dresses! A necessity for summertime.
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    eileensofianmushinfine Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    i love my cotton bike shorts....wear them often, not just to work out!
  • teanahk
    teanahk Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you on the stuck between sizes thing. My bigger sized shorts literally fall off if I put anything in the pocket but the next size down (in the identical shorts) is uncomfortably tight on my tummy.
    I wear a lot of elastic waisted skirts. I even have a few that have stretchy fold over waists like yoga pants. They're super comfy.
  • spatulathumbs
    spatulathumbs Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I love me some yoga pants. Right now my defaults are the Old Navy compression tights, which I put under a skirt or a tunic-style dress. I also have some scar tissue on one side that means my front belly is lopsided, so I feel you OP. The compression tights are great at just holding in around that area without muffin-topping or pinching anywhere. I will always have a bigger but and as soon as I start to lose more than 10 lbs or so, pants become lose but only in the back, it's frustrating. And it sounds strange but if you had a real need for jeans, what about maternity jeans, with the full jersey waistband?
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Not being sarcastic & don't know if I missed something, but how about a belt? Or visit a local consignment store for reasonably priced items and try a few things on. Some brands run so differently from others but maybe you will find some with a more comfortable fit :)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    skirts / dresses / tunics with leggings

wear a belt when they get loose
  • ariamythe
    ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    aekaya wrote: »
    Maxi skirts or dresses! A necessity for summertime.

This ^^^. I can't stand the way shorts look on me. A little flow looks good and hides the imperfections. Also: elastic is super friendly for a range of waists.

• cmcdonald525
    cmcdonald525 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Op: I am in a very similar position! My legs and butt fit perfectly in a 12, but the muffin top is awful! 14s literally fall off. Spanx is my friend right now, at least until my belly shrinks enough to fit comfortably in my shorts. On days it's just too hot (I'm also in Texas) I stick with something loose and flowy.