Fitbit

Options
Hi..

I am looking to get fitbit.. I usually do body combat and body pump..

I need advise!! Which fitbit should i get?

Thanks!!

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    kayedence wrote: »
    I need advise!!

Before advising you it would be useful to know what you want to achieve from using one.
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I need advise!!

Before advising you it would be useful to know what you want to achieve from using one.

This.
    Also, none of them is useful for counting calories for these kinds of fitness classes. They're basically fancy pedometers, some including a heart rate monitor.
  • kayedence
    kayedence Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I need advise!!

This.
    Also, none of them is useful for counting calories for these kinds of fitness classes. They're basically fancy pedometers, some including a heart rate monitor.

I am getting one to monitor calories burn from the workout..

• kayedence
    Options
    I need advise!!

I need advise!!

This.

I am looking to monitor calories burn from the workout.

• LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I need advise!!

This.

None of them can do that. Like I said, the fancier ones have heart rate monitors built in but even those are only good for steady-state cardio (walking, running, cycling, swimming etc.).
  • skeetpea
    skeetpea Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I found the following link helpful when it comes to integrating the FitBit with MyFitnessPal.

Link
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    I am looking to monitor calories burn from the workout.

For the types of sessions that you've identified that you do, there is nothing that can measure your calorie expenditure. You're better just assessing that based on time and tweaking your eating as required depending on your progress.

A fitbit, or similar, can be useful for assessing your background level of activity.

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I have had one for over two years. I just upgraded to the Charge HR. They are great as a motivator to move more, and accurate at counting steps walking/running, but not good at tracking steps on things like the elliptical. I do not use mine for calculating calorie burn, as that is not important to me. I love my fit bit and is a great device for my needs.
  • suzu_2
    suzu_2 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit Surge. Really good at counting base calorie burn during the day, great step tracker, excellent stair tracker. With this model you can select the type of exercise you are doing (but you have to remember to select it, start and stop the counter) including kickboxing, martial arts, yoga, pilates, tennis... You can save your 5 most frequent exercises so they are easier to select the next time. I absolutely love mine. I think the thing i like the most is immediately being able to see where I am for steps, stair flights, current heart rate... You just swipe across the face to gather your info. Great watch, heart rate tracker, really good calorie tracker, and links to my phone to display text messages and show me who is calling in. I have to say that I move more since I got this device because of the immediate feedback. Its nice not having to log in to check.
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    For me, the calories burned calculated by fitbit has been pretty accurate. I never knew how active I really was before I got mine (I regularly burn 500-600 cals at work... no wonder why I always felt starved!). Helped tremendously.
  • kayedence
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback!!
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    save your money and a get polar brand heart rate monitor watch with chest strap. fitbit is only really good for step counts.
  • boogiewookie
    boogiewookie Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    suzu_2 wrote: »
    I have a FitBit Surge. Really good at counting base calorie burn during the day, great step tracker, excellent stair tracker. With this model you can select the type of exercise you are doing (but you have to remember to select it, start and stop the counter) including kickboxing, martial arts, yoga, pilates, tennis... You can save your 5 most frequent exercises so they are easier to select the next time. I absolutely love mine. I think the thing i like the most is immediately being able to see where I am for steps, stair flights, current heart rate... You just swipe across the face to gather your info. Great watch, heart rate tracker, really good calorie tracker, and links to my phone to display text messages and show me who is calling in. I have to say that I move more since I got this device because of the immediate feedback. Its nice not having to log in to check.

can it track what you burn when you straight lift weights? I've been wanting one for a while but I never do cardio, other than when I do body weight exercises or clean for hours on end.
  • cvstokke
    cvstokke Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Second the Surge. It monitors your heart rate in exercise mode to help calculate calorie burns. I've found it to be pretty accurate and when I follow what it tells me to eat (in combo with MFP), I lose weight easily. The other features (GPS, sleep tracking, pedometer stuff) are great too. I'm a huge fan.
  • rhoule76
    rhoule76 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest a heart rate monitor too. I had a Fitbit and I'd still wear my HRM when working out to get an accurate calorie burn.
  • MrsRJ11
    MrsRJ11 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have both. I have the Polar FT7. I love it! I just strap on my heart rate monitor and go for what I know it tracks every calorie burned and also lets you know how much of your overall workout you were in your fat burning zone.

I got the Fitbit so I can keep track of my steps and making sure I am hitting my daily goal. I also wanted to track my sleep pattern I have a serious case of insomnia from time to time. So I wear both. All day. I don't wear the heart monitor part all day just when I workout. I like that my phone has an app for the FitBit so when I do get ready to workout if I want to know how many steps I'm going to do within that workout I just look at where I started vs where I finished.

Good Luck! To me both are good investments either way. Especially if your one of those people that works harder when you can glance at your progress real quick lol :)
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Charge HR. Since it has a heart rate monitor, it measures calories for exercise that's not purely step-based.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Think about polar loop or Garmin vivofit. Activity monitor but you can link it to chest strap for cardio.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    save your money and a get polar brand heart rate monitor watch with chest strap. fitbit is only really good for step counts.

Given that it''s the "HRM" aspect that's unsuitable for the type of training the originator is doing then a Polar would be a waste of money as well.

At least with a Fitbit or similar she'll have some potentially useful information from it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    can it track what you burn when you straight lift weights?

No

HR is not a reliable indicator of calorie expenditure outside of a fairly limited set of circumstances; steady state CV work in the aerobic range.