"The graphic that reveals why BMI is useless?"

Options

Replies

• Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    BMI is so popular for one reason and one reason only- it's insanely easy to measure. All you need is a person's height, age, weight and gender- that's it. Doctors can calculate it with little time and less money and you don't even need to be in same hemisphere for them to do so.

Conversely,stats like body fat percentage, BMR, VO2 max, etc. give a much clearer picture of a person's health, but they take more time and cost more money to fully and accurately perform.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Um, nope. You only need height and weight.

See? Even easier than you thought!
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

True, but they slot you in to the limited categories based on age and gender.
  • TheLegendaryBrandonHarris
    Options

Yeah, quick and easy. It's amazing to me how something that simple can give your very close estimates in the overwhelming majority of cases.

During entrance processing for the military, they can use BMI to quickly separate most of the recruits into who is 'ready' and who needs a second look. I said previously, the 1 in 10 that needs a second look simply gets taped measured.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I find it funny that in every thread about BMI, everyone throws out how it doesn't work for body builders / long term athletes. If you actually look at research done on BMI's ability to predict body fat, it actually tends to be TOO GENEROUS about body fat.
    In a study of 13,601, BMI classified 21% of men, and 31% of woman as obese versus the body fat percentage showing 50% and 62%, respectively. The rate of men and women diagnosed obese who weren't via body fat standards: 5% for men, and 1% for women. If you wanted to accurately complain about BMI, it would be that it doesn't diagnose enough people as obese that are, not that there is an army of bodybuilders getting put in the obese category by it.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Yeah, quick and easy. It's amazing to me how something that simple can give your very close estimates in the overwhelming majority of cases.

During entrance processing for the military, they can use BMI to quickly separate most of the recruits into who is 'ready' and who needs a second look. I said previously, the 1 in 10 that needs a second look simply gets taped measured.

That I feel is a sad statistic too. My original goal was to try to be 180 lb with 15% body fat at height 5'6.5. That didn't happen.
  • senecarr
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

That I feel is a sad statistic too. My original goal was to try to be 180 lb with 15% body fat at height 5'6.5. That didn't happen.
    At 5'6.5", if you maxed out the Fat Free Mass Index (about 25 for natural lifters), that would be 157 lb of lean body mass. It could take 10 years or so of lifting if you could hit, which would let you be ~15% body fat at ~184.
    TheLegendaryBrandonHarris Posts: 502 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

What did happen? BMI chart says someone at 180 pounds measuring 5' 6.5" would be overweight by about 20 pounds. I cannot estimate your BFP without your waist measurement, though.
    I am curious how your case turned out.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I just think the BMI is useless crowd embarass themselves, they spout it as though they have just made some major discovery but show their own ignorance when its understood its just a general population measure and doesnt claim to apply to everyone. We wll know it doesnt take into account muscle, but its for general populations for which its convenient.
  • GeeWillickers
    GeeWillickers Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If your doctor, nutritionist or dietitian ever thought that BMI was the single most important diagnostic tool for measuring health then they were/are imbeciles. BMI is a statistical tool not a diagnostic tool and as has been mentioned above while it may apply to the broad spectrum of people (I would like to know the actual percentage of the population? Hopefully at least 80%) the simple fact remains that any professional must have the intelligence and capability to apply logic on a case by case basis.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

What did happen? BMI chart says someone at 180 pounds measuring 5' 6.5" would be overweight by about 20 pounds. I cannot estimate your BFP without your waist measurement, though.

Well I don't know how much a DEXA scan would cost. I was still thinking of getting a bod pod done at 180. I'm 191 as of today. I might still do it just to see how much muscle mass I did lose. I will definitely post my results if I decide to in the forums. I hear too much that the bod pod is just as inaccurate as those scales.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

At 5'6.5", if you maxed out the Fat Free Mass Index (about 25 for natural lifters), that would be 157 lb of lean body mass. It could take 10 years or so of lifting if you could hit, which would let you be ~15% body fat at ~184.

I have been lifting for maybe 7-8 years of never being in a calorie deficit for more than a year of that.

Options

Well I don't know how much a DEXA scan would cost. I was still thinking of getting a bod pod done at 180. I'm 191 as of today. I might still do it just to see how much muscle mass I did lose. I will definitely post my results if I decide to in the forums. I hear too much that the bod pod is just as inaccurate as those scales.

I will have to research what those tests are---they are not familiar to me.

This morning I had a friend measure around my belly (what the test refers to as 'waist') and plugged that number and my weight into an online calculator. Came to 18.5%.

You have to measure at your belly-button, though. At 180 pounds, your belly would have to be at 33 inches to be at 15% body fat.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

I will have to research what those tests are---they are not familiar to me.

This morning I had a friend measure around my belly (what the test refers to as 'waist') and plugged that number and my weight into an online calculator. Came to 18.5%.

You have to measure at your belly-button, though. At 180 pounds, your belly would have to be at 33 inches to be at 15% body fat.

Yeah but the body distribution for fat is different for every person. Apparently I weigh as much as my brother does now. My lower body is way stronger and bigger than his. I had quad definition since I was like 230 lb. I always though that was weird. His upper body might be stronger than mine. His chest is way stronger than mine but its because he has trained it for at least 6 years longer. People now say I look smaller than he does.
    Options
    I think body fat distribution is comparable enough between most people to make the estimates fairly close.
    There will always be outliers, but the majority will be close estimates.
  • senecarr
    Options

A university near me offered DEXA scans through the nutrition science department for $40. Cheaper than any bodpod I could find in my area.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

A university near me offered DEXA scans through the nutrition science department for $40. Cheaper than any bodpod I could find in my area.

Yeah that is cheaper. Bod pod round my area cost 50. Maybe I should research more but I would still have to do both. Like you know use the same scale for trends.

I tried through my doctor and they were like what is wrong. We usually only do DEXA for at risk people. That idea was trashed immediately.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

The university where I work charges the same for 1 and then you can get a 2 scan package for $70.
  • senecarr
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

The university where I work charges the same for 1 and then you can get a 2 scan package for $70.
    The university I did it at had a student discount but I'm not a student. No two for one - they strictly limit it to six months between scans.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

The university I did it at had a student discount but I'm not a student. No two for one - they strictly limit it to six months between scans.

Do you know if there is a medical reason to limit it like that? I've looked at our website but the info about the scans is pretty sparse.