How long does it take to see results?

Options
Hi MFP'ers,

I have cut my calories and been working out at a personal training facility. I began this journey on June 8, 2015. I began at 5'5" and 154 pounds. I am looking to lose about 30 pounds and have already lost 13 pounds putting me at 141 pounds. However, I do not see the weight loss. Am I doing the wrong things? Generally how long does it take to see results aesthetically and not just on the scale.

Replies

• Dariasen
    Dariasen Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    It's been a month. You may not be able to see huge changes yet but check measurements for smaller ones. With my 1st 20lbs I can tighten my watch band, wear a smaller jean size and my knee high socks fall down. The loss is distributed over my entire body. Take measurments and you might "see" it better.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Before and after pictures are the best way to see progress. It's difficult for you to see when you're just looking at yourself everyday, other people might notice before you do.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Self-perception is a tricky thing. There's an adage out there that it takes 4 weeks for you to see your results and 8 weeks for other people to see it. However, while I appreciate its intention to teach patience, it's a very generalized statement.

I took forever to see results. And even after having lost 90 lbs, part of my brain says I still look the same. Part of that is, I think, because I lost weight very evenly, so I have the same proportions, everything's just smaller.

I'd give it a little more time. 13 lbs is a great loss!
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Take measurements and occasionally take photo's too (in the same underwear or workout gear)....then you can compare them after a few weeks.
    Keep up the good work!
  • grza36
    grza36 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I didn't really start seeing results personally for about a month and a half even though I kept going down belt notches. We're typically our own harshest critics, but going by what you're saying here what you're doing is clearly working and it's something to be proud of.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    How long did it take you to gain it?
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    It took about 20 pounds before I could really start to see a difference. But apparently its going to take more than 36 pounds for my family or friends to take notice because no one has said anything.