Chunk Light Tuna in Water

Options
Pie319
Pie319 Posts: 129 Member
Let's get real here about tuna.
I eat chunk light tuna canned in water several days a week. Safeway brand is my favorite, which recently doubled in price. So I got some chicken of the sea instead and WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT! That is some *kitten* tuna. So I tried some Bumblebee and it's OK, but it's no Safeway tuna. The Safeway tuna is like nice chunks of tuna whereas the chicken of the see was like pureed tuna mush. I guess you get what you pay for....Anyone have any recommendations?

And before you lecture me about mercury - I work on hazardous waste sites so I am regularly tested for mercury (and other things) as a precaution and my mercury levels are not elevated AT ALL.

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    Try the Starkist in a pouch. That's what I eat. It's been on sale at Target forever! :)

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Can't help you there (not a fan of chunk or light tuna). Kroeger makes some nice solid white tuna, so does BumbleBee.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Albacore tuna, perhaps?
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Clover Leaf solid white tuna in water mixed with half an avocado. Doesn't taste like fish at all! :wink:
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    We've been eating Trader Joe's no-salt-added Albacore for many years now. It's chunky and tastes great. They also have a salt-added variety too, but we haven't tried that.

qac0x8ni5od0.jpg
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Albacore tuna, perhaps?

My first thought too.

Did you get the Albacore before? Because it's a bit different from Chunk Lite.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Aldi canned and in a pouch chunk light is awesome-and usually a cheap option
  • Pie319
    Options
    I've tried albacore and I didn't like it as much, but now that I see the difference in brands, I realize might have just picked out a bad one. It's also generally more expensive. But I'll give it another go.

Also, for those of you who ARE concerned with mercury, chunk light has the least.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I actually like albacore more but since seeing a list of mercury ratings in tuna, and since I've been eating more of it lately, I've switched to the chunk light.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When I was looking the other week, tuna barely rates. The only fish I might give the gimlet eye is shark.

We've gotten the Ocean's Chunk Light tuna from Costco but I admit I did not check the price.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I eat tuna maybe 2 or 3 times a month, so I'm not all that concerned with mercury.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I splurge on tuna. Tonnino and cento are a bit better.

And Wild Planet. I think the price is a bit lower on that one too.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Mercury is more a concern with albacore, much less with the chunk light.

I prefer canned over fresh steaks, but it doesn't matter much which one except for Chicken Of The Sea. I don't really love the COTS brand. I usually get Bumblebee because it's what I grew up eating. If I'm going somewhere and want bring-along tuna, Star-Kist in the pouch.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    Try the Starkist in a pouch. That's what I eat. It's been on sale at Target forever! :)

Yep! This one. I don't like it in a can because it tastes metallicky to me, so the pouches are great :)
  • sabrinacrandall
    sabrinacrandall Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Huh. I like chunk light tuna... Maybe I should try some of this albacore and bumblebee stuff!! :o
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I eat tuna, daily. I buy 365, no added salt, brand at Whole Foods. Albacore has more mercury than chunk light, although I do like it as a change from the norm.
  • esmesqualor
    esmesqualor Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Be careful eating that much tuna. The mercury is a real concern. My friend's daughter ended up with mercury poisoning from eating a can of tuna 5 days a week for several months.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Be careful eating that much tuna. The mercury is a real concern. My friend's daughter ended up with mercury poisoning from eating a can of tuna 5 days a week for several months.

That is scary. I honestly eat half a tuna sandwich almost every day. Guess I better to some research. Thanks for the info.
  • Pie319
    Options
    i eat tuna almost every day and my mercury levels are not elevated at all.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Costco's Kirkland brand tune kicks *kitten*.