How much is too much?

Options
So this week I logged 12,158 minutes of exercise....am I doing too much? Am I setting myself up for a fall doing this? Some days I look at the totals and think "Wow! Did I really do all of that?" I am afraid if my body gets used to all the exercise and I cut back I will fall to pieces? Any advice?

Ok so it was a typo - thanks for being so understanding:ohwell:

I meant that 12,158 is calories burned and that so far I have done 760 minutes. For someone who started off at 0 to then go to that am I risking getting my body used to exercise and then I will never be able to cut back when I reach my goal weight?

For the record I have usually been impressed with the kindness and help offered by MFP people...not so much today :cry:

Replies

• suzitkd
    suzitkd Posts: 110
    Options
    Erm.. that works out at 28.8 hours per day??!!!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I keep trying to see how this is possible. 12,158 mins in one week means 28 hrs in a day. Doesn't work out! I must be reading your number wrong? Do you mean you logged 158 twelve times?

I like to suggest doing less time and more hard work during the workout. I'm not saying that cardio for hours isn't hard work, I know it is. But give your muscles something to really scream about. Do bodyweight work and lift heavy weights. I like the results I get from the weights more than the cardio. Cardio causes weight loss for me, sure. But the weight lifting really helps me feel more dense and strips away the inches.
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    ummm, there are only 10080 minutes in a week, how did you log over 12000 exercising....am I missing something?
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I sure hope that's a typo as there are only 10,440 minutes in a week....
  • suzitkd
    suzitkd Posts: 110
    Options
    Lol, how many people are reaching for a calculator right now?!
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Lol, how many people are reaching for a calculator right now?!

Yep, this one does not pass the sniff test :)
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    are you sure you entered the numbers correctly? That comes out to almost 30 hours a day of exercising.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    MFP allows you to count a lot of random daily activities as 'exercise' (such as cleaning and ping pong). Are you including these? None of it is really laborious on the body.

However, the math doesn't make sense. There are 7 days in a week, 24 hours in a day, and 60 minutes in an hour. That's 10,080 minuts in a week. Unless you're stopping time to exercise, something's off here. Otherwise, you're exercising 28 hours a day...
  • crzybeautiful11
    Options
    I had to grab a calculator, lol the numbers still don't match up!!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    There is such a thing as overtraining. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtraining

I don't know what the exact parameters are, and it's likely a bit different for each person, but after you've crossed some certain threshhold you're really not getting any real benefit out of it. An hour a day, 6 days per week, is PLENTY for most anybody.

I know lots of people, including myself, who find it hard to take a day off sometimes. That doesn't really make it ok. It just means we're all a bit nuts. :)
  • bellarox13
    bellarox13 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think she means 12 sessions of 158 minutes. So approx 2 and a half hours each session, for twelve sessions. So if she works out five days a week, she is doing five hours a day.
  • vpurser1
    vpurser1 Posts: 7
    Options
    Ok... so the answer to the question is yes? :)
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Oh come on guys... can't you see those are metric minutes!

Sheesh... buy you books and send you too school....
  • dawnw30
    dawnw30 Posts: 270
    Options
    OK..typo -so just shoot me already...that was calories burned. I am logging 760 as of today on minutes. I am not done for the week. I do 1 hour on my elliptical followed by an an exercise dvd 30-60mins usually and then another 1/2 hour on the elliptical. These are hard workouts but spaced throughout the day.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Sounds like more than you really need. Do you just get bored so you work out again? I do that once in a while. I stick by the same advice I gave earlier. I like taso's simple response. 1hr day, 6 days is plenty for anyone! :)
  • dawnw30
    Options
    Sounds like more than you really need. Do you just get bored so you work out again? I do that once in a while. I stick by the same advice I gave earlier. I like taso's simple response. 1hr day, 6 days is plenty for anyone! :)

Thanks! :wink: And also, I have just been doing it because from exercising I feel good and have more energy which makes me want to get up and exercise more. I just wonder when does it end? Can I stop? Am I going to be doing more harm than good if I continue to add on to my daily routine? I thought these were legit concerns and was just looking for input. Thank you! :happy:
  • dawnw30
    Options
    There is such a thing as overtraining. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtraining

I don't know what the exact parameters are, and it's likely a bit different for each person, but after you've crossed some certain threshhold you're really not getting any real benefit out of it. An hour a day, 6 days per week, is PLENTY for most anybody.

I know lots of people, including myself, who find it hard to take a day off sometimes. That doesn't really make it ok. It just means we're all a bit nuts. :)

Thanks ... interresting read! :wink:
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Yea that's over doing it!
  • dawnw30
    Options
    MFP allows you to count a lot of random daily activities as 'exercise' (such as cleaning and ping pong). Are you including these? None of it is really laborious on the body.

However, the math doesn't make sense. There are 7 days in a week, 24 hours in a day, and 60 minutes in an hour. That's 10,080 minuts in a week. Unless you're stopping time to exercise, something's off here. Otherwise, you're exercising 28 hours a day...

It was a typo...and I only log exercises I set out purposefully to do. My elliptical and DVD workouts are what I call exercise.
  • flutterqueen04
    Options

For the record I have usually been impressed with the kindness and help offered by MFP people...not so much today :cry:

I don't think they were being rude or mean, they were just REALLY confused by the typo! haha. Don't take it to heart. Now that its fixed you'll be sure to get reasonable advice :happy: Remember....we are not mind readers here :bigsmile: