Any fibromyalgia sufferers here?

Options
Per the subject, I have fibromyalgia, amongst some other health issues that make it difficult for me to exercise (in the traditional sense of cardio).

I just want to know I'm not alone at this thing...

Thanks for listening.

Replies

• manda1028
    manda1028 Posts: 148
    Options
    i know it runs on both sides of my family. i have not been diagnosed -- but i do believe i have it.
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    My mom has this and has had a couple back surgeries already, as she also has degenerative disk disease. She can't really run and jump, in the cardio traditional sense, but she LOVES water aerobics... maybe something to look into. :smile:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I don't have it but my Mom and my cousin both suffer from it. I'll tell you that my Mom has found that just keeping active, lifting light weights, walking, and swimming are the best things for her. She is almost 60 and she said that the pain some days is so awful she can barely get out of bed, but staying active makes it tolerable. She has decided not to take any of the meds (I think she tried Lyrica?), but they made her so tired she felt like she wasn't enjoying her life. She has good days and bad days. She also goes to see a Chinese doctor who is very homeopathic. She does accupressure, deep tissue massage, and other things that have helped her a lot. She also suffers from migraines, kind of a double whammy. :explode:

Good luck. It is hard to see people you love dealing w/ constant pain.
  • hermione_ar
    hermione_ar Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi i have chronic back pain that they think is fibro. It's so hard dealing with pain everyday isn't it! The only thing i can do is swimming (started with aqua jogging now do laps too) and it's working for me, but some days just too much pain. But we can do it! Just might take a bit longer than some people. Add me if you like.
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    Hi, don't have fibro but am a wheelchair user so also can't exercise in the traditional cardio sense. Have found a few ways round this but am still working on it
  • TiredOfThisShit
    Options
    Hiya. Yup, I have it. Doctors say Ive got it pretty bad. Its taken 600 mg of lyrica, along with 100 of savella to give me relief. Its like a miracle drug.
  • xzy1000
    xzy1000 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi hun yes I have fibro too. The exerise is quite hard going but I keep podding on at it.
    Walking is about the only thing that I can do at the moment very much of at present.
  • sunrise84
    sunrise84 Posts: 18
    Options
    Hello everyone:

Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone, and for the suggestions.

Unfortunately, I cannot swim, so that's out of the question. I've tried to learn, but I almost drowned and on top of that, I accidentally flashed everyone (another story for another thread, LOL).

I've tried all of the drugs, including the narcotics for the pain, and they just don't work. The narcotics make me vomit, and the others I have all of the unpleasant side effects. I liked walking when I could do it w/out much pain, but those days are few and far in-between.

Any more suggestions?

:)
  • stephy52604
    stephy52604 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't have it but I have heard that shadow boxing is an excellent cardio excercise for those that can't move around too much.

Hope this helps
  • sunrise84
    sunrise84 Posts: 18
    Options
    Hey Steph,

I looked it up, but the descriptions I read I don't think matched it very well, or does it? It basically seems like you can look into a mirror and practice punches and other moves. Is that right?
  • stephy52604
    stephy52604 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    As far as I know. Or you can post a pic of someone you're mad at and start punching the crap out of the area where their face would be :)
  • dunedingirl
    dunedingirl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I also have fibro and some days it is so bad I can't move without crying. I just went to a gym for the first time in 10 years and hurt pretty bad but going back tomorrow. I am starting tai chi tomorrow which I've heard great things for fibro sufferers. I am also starting a Zumba Gold class at my community Center. They say it is for seniors, people w/ limited flexibility and people in wheelchairs. We will see if any of these things work or not but I'm going to give it a shot. I went to yoga-lates today to try to build my core and increase flexibility and at my rec center there is a shallow aqua-cize class where you just stand and don't have to go under or accidentally flash anyone;) I hope this helps some, just for different things to look into......If anyone would like to friend me so we can motivate each other and update on progress, that would be great!