I know i shouldnt!

Options
rebeccalou4rs
rebeccalou4rs Posts: 8 Member
What can i get from the chinese that isnt really bad i know i shouldnt but its my friends birthday! Any ideas?

Replies

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Whatever you want. Why is it bad?

Chinese food is typically high in sodium which causes some water retention if I understand correctly. In the grand scheme of things though, you'll be fine as long as you eat within your calorie allowance to stay in a deficit.

I recommend chicken lo mein only because I like noodles, chicken, and broccoli.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Some kind of steamed protein and vegetables with sauce on the side.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

This OP. Foods are not bad unless you are allergic to specific food type.

• jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Anything you want as long as it fits in your calories for the day.

And if it doesn't don't sweat it, enjoy it anyways and get back on track tomorrow...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    why does everyone think Chinese food is so bad...I don't get it.

I like chicken chow mein...what the hell is wrong with chicken chow mein...why would it be evil?
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    DIM SUM! Little packets of deliciousness.

Not the western stuff like General Tso/Sesame Chicken, those are boring.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Anything you want from the menu... it's your friend's Bday, I think you should enjoy the occassion and not be worrying about calories. Besides, no matter what you order, it isn't going to make you gain back the weight you've already lost. And from your ticker, you've already lost almost 30 lbs, you should be proud of that!! Go enjoy the night!! :drinker:
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options

Chinese food is typically high in sodium which causes some water retention if I understand correctly. In the grand scheme of things though, you'll be fine as long as you eat within your calorie allowance to stay in a deficit.

I recommend chicken lo mein only because I like noodles, chicken, and broccoli.

^ This ^ - The sodium will cause your weight to jump a few lbs., due to the water retention it will cause. 100mg causes about 1 cup retention which is ~ 0.5 lbs.

Other than that, most of it is fairly healthy, nutrition wise. Lots of veggies, carbs, protein. Just watch out for the calories that some of the sweeter offerings have due to all the sugars.

Enjoy, and IIFYM even better ... but don't stress it, since its a special outing.

• pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    why does everyone think Chinese food is so bad...I don't get it.

I like chicken chow mein...what the hell is wrong with chicken chow mein...why would it be evil?

One of ...

1 - The high sodium
    2 - The high sugar in some options ( mostly the sweet and sour varieties )
    3 - The MSG brainwashing that has recently been exposed as overblown and not supported in recent clinical trials
    4 - The caloric density they dont realize it has, so they dont eat proper portions, and thus it "made me fat"

Me - I used to eat it 1-3x a week, when I had a place for takeout within walking distance of my place. Now, not so much, since I have to go out of my way to get it.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I like lo mein and steamed dumplings.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Why shouldn't you?

Get what you want, enjoy it, log it and move on.

I'm a General Tso's Chicken kind of girl, myself.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    It's one day, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Get what you like and enjoy the time with your friend.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Which restaurant is it? *wants cream cheese rangoon now*
  • AnitaCRice
    AnitaCRice Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I try to order Beef and Broccoli, if they have that available.
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Mmm how about...

2 pork egg rolls
    1 LG order of general tso's chicken with fried rice instead of white rice
    1 or 2 orders of crab Rangoon
    Mayyybe some egg drop soup. But it's like 90 degrees out so maybe I'll skip the soup.

Oh, you weren't asking for my take out order? Sorry. Just get whatever YOU like!

Personally I'd go for sushi takeout instead =P
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    lucys1225 wrote: »
    Some kind of steamed protein and vegetables with sauce on the side.

Yep, my favorite is plain steamed chicken and broccoli - I've ordered it for probably 20 years at Chinese restaurants around the states.