First 20 pounds is the hardest?

Options
I'm a 5'7 sophomore college guy who weighted 186 back in May. I wanted to reinvent my body for a healthy and better lifestyle. I eat bad all my childhood but luckily I did sports and theater, so I didn't dangerously gain a large some of weight. I'm 172 now, workout twice a day 5 days a week, eating 1700 calories a day. Technically I'm 173, had a cheat day Wednesday, gained 4 pounds of water weight. Lately I've been struggling to break out of the 170s. I heard the first 20 pounds are the hardest. Just trying to reach 158 by August which is the healthy weight for someone my height. Any suggestions?

Replies

• SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    First pounds are always the easiest, especially if you are more overweight than you are. Try for an estimate of your healthy weight for height: http://www.calculator.net/bmi-calculator.html
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I would agree that the weight will come off easier in the first few weeks then it tends to slow down. Aim for a loss of 1-2 pounds per week and you will soon be at your goal. Well done on all the exercise - is it mainly weights you are doing or cardio?
  • nanderson2575
    nanderson2575 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Both, I spend more time on cardio by at least 20 minutes
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I lost about 45 pounds 2 years ago. The first 20 are definitely the easiest. The last 10 are by far the hardest.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Typically, most people find the first pounds the easiest to lose, especially if they have a lot of weight to lose. However, no weight loss is 'easy'. Every pound loss is a success.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's one answer for everyone. The first few pounds appear to be easiest for most people because they are often composed of water weight. You'll see people get excited over their first 5 lbs in their first two days. Its likely not fat loss though.

I think the first 20 lbs were hardest for me. Yes, being heavier your bmr is higher so you burn more calories in a day even if sedentary than you would be if you were 50 lbs lighter. But the Calories In part of the equation can also be harder. Most people get overweight through years of bad habits and over-eating. To lose 20 lbs at a healthy rate can take between 10 and 20 weeks. That is a difficult period of adjustment that can feel very long- its called a lifestyle change for a reason. Add to that that it can be frustrating because it is often difficult to see those 20 lbs right away.

So personally I'd say they were most difficult for me. I switched from eating whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, in whatever quantities I wanted, to having to control that better. It was more difficult to do that then than it is now. And to feel like I was 'suffering', with 1-2 lb losses, and 3 months to even fit into a new pant size? It was difficult to persevere. My loss is slower now, but I find easier. I'm much happier now than I was 65 lbs ago.
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's one answer for everyone. The first few pounds appear to be easiest for most people because they are often composed of water weight. You'll see people get excited over their first 5 lbs in their first two days. Its likely not fat loss though.

I think the first 20 lbs were hardest for me. Yes, being heavier your bmr is higher so you burn more calories in a day even if sedentary than you would be if you were 50 lbs lighter. But the Calories In part of the equation can also be harder. Most people get overweight through years of bad habits and over-eating. To lose 20 lbs at a healthy rate can take between 10 and 20 weeks. That is a difficult period of adjustment that can feel very long- its called a lifestyle change for a reason. Add to that that it can be frustrating because it is often difficult to see those 20 lbs right away.

So personally I'd say they were most difficult for me. I switched from eating whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, in whatever quantities I wanted, to having to control that better. It was more difficult to do that then than it is now. And to feel like I was 'suffering', with 1-2 lb losses, and 3 months to even fit into a new pant size? It was difficult to persevere. My loss is slower now, but I find easier. I'm much happier now than I was 65 lbs ago.

It was similar for me. The first 10 pounds took 10 weeks, as expected, but it felt sooo much slower than that. Changing the habits and building new ones require effort, and the few pounds lost don't feel very rewarding...yet.

The 10 to 25 pounds lost were a breeze. The habits were there, the scale number and measurements were going down, compliments started coming from friends and family.

Now I'm getting into the last 10 pounds, and things are getting a little more difficult. But I will get there by October!!!
  • boogiewookie
    boogiewookie Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm down 20lbs and it hasn't been too hard. I mean I've been working my *kitten* off but it's coming off fast. I lost 10lbs in 1 month. my hubby lost 20lbs without even trying. he just cut back on soda for a few months and was shocked he weighed exactly 20lbs less. your cals sound pretty low for your lifestyle. be careful not to get burnt out!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    generally the first pounds are the easiest...but with only 20ish Lbs to lose, it's going to be slow...like about 1 Lb per week maz...your are not terribly overweight and certainly not obese.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    The first 100 pounds are practice for the last 10

What I was told

I believe it
  • Brandyloseit1
    Brandyloseit1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am 27 5'2 212 pounds not able to get past 200 I have been this way for at least 3 years and it will not budge at all I have done everything sweatsuits diet pills diet salad drinking nothing but water I Pushmow 3 aceras of grass every week I cannot seem to lose that way that I've been struggling after 3 years nothing I do makes it seem to go away I have lowered my calories that did not work I have up my calories that did not work I exercise very hard I do intense cardio I do hit carI do then I recently did intermittent fasting I only eat from one to five then I do not eat again till the next day 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. But that has not seemed to work I am lost and I do not know what to do I don't have a lot of money I cannot go out and for these expensive diets I have tried to read and create my own I haven't bought nothing but healthy foods I have never ate junk food while doing this I do not drink soda I stay away from salt and I stay away from sugar any suggestions would be great I cannot seem to get under 200
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    im 50 down and have at LEAST 50 more to go.

the first 20 was easy. right now my body is all blahhhhhhhhhh

LOLOLOL