Plateau Tips Wanted

Options
Well, just over four months into his, and 41 lb leaner, I seem to have hit a plateau. Sadly, I have injured my back so increasing exercise with intervals, isn't an option.

What has worked for you to jumpstart weight loss after plateau? Appreciate your tips!

Replies

• AddieCakes
    AddieCakes Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't give up! My advice would be this: Stay dedicated to whatever healthy eating plan you've got going on, and be nice to your back. Focus on healing. Hopefully with patience and dedication you'll start to see the scale move. Good luck and I hope you're feeling better soon!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you lost weight?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Am sorry but 41 lbs in 4 months is a very fast rate of loss. How many calories were you eating and burning? The idea you have space for a plateau (6 weeks of being at a deficit and no weight loss) is extraordinary. Weight loss is not linear so be patient and keep on doing the correct things.
  • tomnev1
    tomnev1 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breath. Think of what you were doing when you lost it. Think of what you are doing now. Eating a little more and not counting it. Exeercising a little less?
    No magic formula. I hit the plateau myself a couple of weeks ago. Realised I was having toast for breakfast and then having a small 100 cal candy bar in the evening...and working out a little less. So stopped eating toast again. Cut out the candy bar. Ensured I did either a 5k run everyday or a 3.5k walk at night.

No magic formula. You can do it and deep down inside you know you can!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    shake it up a bit, different foods usually not low fat, different exercise
  • greatham82
    greatham82 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    AddieCakes wrote: »
    Whatever you do, don't give up! My advice would be this: Stay dedicated to whatever healthy eating plan you've got going on, and be nice to your back. Focus on healing. Hopefully with patience and dedication you'll start to see the scale move. Good luck and I hope you're feeling better soon!

Thanks for the encourage,net. Going to the doc now re: back. Started using cane yesterday. Ugh.
  • greatham82
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Am sorry but 41 lbs in 4 months is a very fast rate of loss. How many calories were you eating and burning? The idea you have space for a plateau (6 weeks of being at a deficit and no weight loss) is extraordinary. Weight loss is not linear so be patient and keep on doing the correct things.

I did not know that about six weeks being requirement for plateau. I've been on 1360 calories and usually add 150 more exercise ones. Now went down to 1260.
  • greatham82
    Options
    tomnev1 wrote: »
    Take a deep breath. Think of what you were doing when you lost it. Think of what you are doing now. Eating a little more and not counting it. Exeercising a little less?
    No magic formula. I hit the plateau myself a couple of weeks ago. Realised I was having toast for breakfast and then having a small 100 cal candy bar in the evening...and working out a little less. So stopped eating toast again. Cut out the candy bar. Ensured I did either a 5k run everyday or a 3.5k walk at night.

No magic formula. You can do it and deep down inside you know you can!

Thanks! No changes and I log religiously. Less exercise the last four days due to back. Wanting to exercise!
  • greatham82
    Options
    Will try fish, different foods. It had all been working great. Then at my weekly weigh-in, I only lost 1 oz, but two days later dropped 1.6. Since then, ten days, nada. I do get that it's not linear. Guess I was just lucky to see my weekly weigh-ins consistently show a drop until all this.

I'll hang in there, be patient and not give up. Huge thanks for the encouragement and insights!
  • cassiz91
    cassiz91 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hitting a platuea is completely normal. Sorry to hear about your injury. What you can do is strengthen your back as you workout. You can simply do your same workout routine but super set it. 30 sec rest in between. For example:
    Deadlifts 1 set of 5
    30 second rest
    The goodmorning 1 set of 10
    If you don't want to super set, change your goal then you can change the intensity of your workouts, either adding more weight, or more reps and less weight.
    Keep up the hard work and your going great.
  • greatham82
    Options
    Thanks, cassiz. Need to find another exercise mode for the time being. Right now, I am instruct rest orders. Will keep plugging along! Plateaus can't last forever, right?!
  • cassiz91
    cassiz91 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Lol listen to the docs orders. You cant do much if your injured. You need to rest and recover. Then after recovery is intense therapy and strength training for the back is needed. If you do any sort of deadlifts, you can perform rack pulls, helps with lower back and overall back. No plateaus don't last forever, just rest and take a break from the gym, let the body rest and heal..when you go back to workout again let's say after a week, your body will feel fresh and whatever workout you put it through, you'll definitely feel the burn
  • greatham82
    Options
    Thanks! Appreciate the encouragement!