Post Half Marathon advice wanted

Options
Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
I am running my first half next Saturday. What should I expect afterwards? I heard to pay attention to my feet (heat?). I also heard not to exercise for a few days and not to run for about 2 weeks. Is that right? What do you all do?

Thanks!

Replies

• jlanz10
    jlanz10 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Just listen to your body...I ran 2 marathons and couldnt really take many days off afterwards...I think I took 2 days both times...It depends on how sore you are...I went for a real slow jog the first time afterwards, and it actually helped my soreness go away...Take care of your feet during the race and you should be fine...Wear blister free socks if you have them...Make sure to put Vaseline in any area you may chafe...Best of luck!!!
  • carolww
    carolww Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have never done a half marathon. You are an inspiration. Why not book yourself a nice massage as a reward for doing it. Good luck with it.
  • knelson422
    knelson422 Posts: 308
    Options
    It depends on how you feel. If it is nice out and you want to go for a run, take it easy and just do it. Good luck, you will feel amazing when you are done. Set another fitness goal soon so that you have something to work toward. I ran a 1/2 in April and afterward was kind of like, "now what?" So, I did a 5K this weekend and had a goal for a certain time. Keep setting goals for yourself so that you stay motivated. But after your 1/2 - totally reward yourself. Get a pedicure or something, your feel get all nasty - and it is summer. Good luck!!!! That is awesome.
  • shellbell1993
    shellbell1993 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Also make sure you hydrate well before run , during and after. I didn't and I was very dehydrated and sick afterwards. I just didn't want to stop and pee (very big mistake)
    I agree that you need to see how you feel afterwards and you might be sore or just fine...everyone and every run is different!!

Stretching is very important too :)

GOOD LUCK!!!
  • drlynned
    drlynned Posts: 34
    Options
    I'm running my fourth half marathon next weekend too. Good luck! :drinker: Typically, my feet are okay post race because I wear the right shoes, but I've noticed that I recover much faster if I do a post ice bath. If you can't do that, at least soak your feet/calves in a bucket full of ice water. Stings a bit, but really helps.

Also, I typically take about 2 weeks off from running only because I'm emotionally drained from the training. I don't do it on purpose, it just happens to be that long.... then I notice that I feel a bit unmotivated to start running again, so I sign up for another half marathon, and restart my training again. I'll be running my fifth half in August, so I can't take too much time off. This sort of routine has been working for me.
  • schotas
    schotas Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I agree with jlanz10. Listen to your body.
    My experience has been:
    I lost a toenail after my first half, but that is actually very common with runners.
    Usually, I take a good loooong nap after the run.
    I drink lots of water to rehydrate over the next few days.
    I tend to have a funny walk for about 1-2 days, and by the 3rd day I am out taking a good walk.
    My daughter knows that for about a week after running my races I won't be able to climb the stairs at our house, so her dad has to tuck her in at night. Ha ha ha
    I usually wait about 2 weeks before I do a short run.
    Definitely be sure you use Body Glide (or some people use Vaseline to avoid chaffing) --don't forget to use it under your bra straps and your waistband.
    Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy the experience. Take in all of the sights and sounds. It is such an amazing thing to accomplish!
    Best of luck to you.
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Yep, you will walk funny for a few days. Chocolate milk is a great recovery drink, if it's available. Just a little hit of advice, if you see people handing out tongue depressor sticks, some people mistake it for something that's edible. IT'S NOT. It's vaseline, but take it if you need it, it will be a life saver miles down the road. Good luck to you, you will have a blast!
  • Thexplodingirl
    Options
    230361_10150183042143983_705093982_6943769_3328789_n.jpg

My post heavy workout therapy. Everyone thought I was crazy but I wasn't walking around like a cowboy for a week again! Get in the tub first, then start the cold water and add the ice slowly as it fills. As a bonus you can chill your beers at the same time :) some (I'm sure bogus) study said beer was great for recovery. The subjects were college students of course!
  • JennBennett410
    Options
    FIrst of all YOU LOOK AMAZING!
    I just had my first half marathon two weeks ago. I wish I had done the ice bath that day. I was sure my feet were broken (actually I did have a few stress fractures in my left foot)
    DRINK DRINK DRINK water during and after. EAT after, I didn't eat enough and I was exhausted.
    DO NOT GO TO WORK the next day. I wish I had slept all day.
    ENJOY EVERY MILE!
    Have a blast and good luck! I can't wait till my next one!
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Good for you!

Lots of water to rehydrate yourself ,and bump up your protein to help your muscles recover. Everyone is different. My first I was just stiff for a few days, and then everything losened up on day 3.
    I hear that swimming the day after is great for the legs if you have access to do that. Each time I run a long run my recovery gets quicker. Stick to it and you'll learn how your body reacts.

Enjoy the moment and have fun!!