Discouraged...

Options
So... I've been on MFP for about a month and have lost 4ish lbs, and I've gotten past the initial-- this is great--stage. (My tracker says seven b/c I got a more accurate scale,and I didn't adjust the previous weigh-ins.)

I went through a major life change almost a year ago, and I was majorly depressed and stress ate ALL the time. So, I gained a lot of weight in a year (currently am bigger than I've ever been), and today, being Saturday of Memorial Day weekend, I went to the pool with my mom and brother. I barely fit into my bathing suit from last summer. I felt so self-conscious and mad at myself for letting things go all year.

Even though I feel like I'm on a new journey, I still feel retro-active guilt. Boo.

Anyone got any tips for fighting the 'blahs' and guilt?

Replies

• CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I do almost every day when I have to measure stuff, weigh stuff and feel guilty about what I am putting into my body. I dont ever want to get to this point again where I have to work as hard as I did to lose this weight. So, while it is discouraging to know that I got heavy and unhappy its encouraging at the same time to know that I can fix this mess....
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    set small goals throughout so u don't feel too defeated about not making ur final goal right away. Keep pushing yourself!!! You can do this!!! I realized how bad I had gotten 2 years ago, after years of my family trying to get me to see it, and I took action because I was ready for a change. I am down about 28 lbs since then... I have had a lot of ups and downs though.
  • heathhumble
    heathhumble Posts: 178
    Options
    Hi,everyday is a challenge for all of us that's why we are here.This site helps me keep my self accountable for every thing I put into my mouth good or bad including exercise. Don't be discouraged.Keep your head up stay focused and follow your goals and you will succeed.Best of luck to you.Add me if you would like for support and motivation.Either way good luck to you.:smile:
  • knelson422
    knelson422 Posts: 308
    Options
    Just keep going. See how your suit fits next week, and the next. Your body gained this weight over time, and you will lose it over time too. Set mini goals, 5 to 10 pounds, then reward yourself (Not with food - which is what I had usually done before). You can do it. Way to go for the pounds lost so far. Keep going, you can do it.
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I understand your feelings of discouragement.

If only ... if only ... if only ....

Oh, and let's not forget about the would haves, could haves and should haves.

We beat ourselves up more than we lift ourselves up ... that in itself is discouraging ... yet sadly a human condition we all share.

I don't know you but I'm proud of you for losing 4 lbs in one month!! That took courage to want to change & willpower to actually change. And you only at the beginning of this journey ....

Imagine what you will feel and look like one year from now ... now hold onto that image and recall it whenever you encounter another similar situation that makes you feel bad about yourself.

You are a beautiful person who unfortunately underwent some very hard lessons in life and coped the best you could with who you were at the time.

But you have committed yourself to being a transformed person now ... the same old you only better!

Long live the better part of you!!!

Keep on keeping girl - you can do this!!!
  • anner53108
    anner53108 Posts: 103
    Options
    One of my mantras: Learn from the past, but don't live in it.

Kick that guilt to the curb and give yourself some kudos for starting to do something good for your body and yourself. Period. (Or exclamation point!). :smile:

Use your "blah" feeling now to motivate yourself to get moving more and track every bite you eat! Yes, it will be tough. And some days/weeks will be frustrating and you'll go over on your calories (moderation is key -- don't deprive yourself completely or you'll set yourself up to fail).
    Some weeks you won't lose pounds, but you may lose inches! Some weeks you might gain a little. But you just keep going and find that magic balance -- with all the awesome support that MFP offers.

And once you do it for a few weeks/months, you'll feel 100 times better and that will motivate you to continue!

And on those days you don't want to exercise? Just make yourself do it. There are plenty of days when I have to "fake it 'til I make it." I just force myself to get out of bed, put on my workout clothes and hit "play" on that Jillian DVD and let her scream at me to move my lazy butt! :laugh:
    Because you know what? I NEVER regret working out. Not once. I've never said, "Wow, that was a waste of time and now I feel horrible." I ALWAYS feel better and am proud of myself.
    But I almost always regret NOT working out. I think, "Mmmm ... I probably could have burned some calories and energized myself more if I wasn't such a couch potato today."

Look forward with determination and reach for your goals -- one step at a time!
    You CAN do this! And when you feel you can't, just go through the motions and eventually, your heart will follow your body's lead.

:flowerforyou:

~ Ann
  • staceycoha22
    Options
    By the way, 4 lbs a month is really good, you really don't want to push more than that - a pound a week is recommended at most. Keep ur head up, ur doing great!
  • allibawtez
    allibawtez Posts: 47
    Options
    *bump* to all the positive comments! =) I have faith that you will find your motivation. MFP is a great source for it. Just know that you aren't alone, and that we all go through these same feelings of discouragement and wanting to give up. But..it's only temporary. Try to stay positive, and know that you'll get through this blah moment.
  • BarnDogBob
    BarnDogBob Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You can do it and you will. Make it part of your daily life, and don't put too much pressure on yourself to change overnight. Enjoy the journey. Celebrate the wins and get strength from the downfalls. You are not alone on this journey, there are many many people here feeling the same things and going through the same trials and tribulations. Focus on the goal and work toward it. At times it is a slippery path but in the end you will get there.
  • curliefrii
    curliefrii Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouraging words. I means so much to me to know that there are people who understand (and also inspire me to keep going!

<3
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options
    There are 2 things I think of when I get in the blahs (besides being obsessive about reading these posts!) First, I think of other things I did that just took time but I never thought would come to an end- for me my last year at college was one of those just one day at a time, or when I started running. Second, I think of someone I don't want to look like- for me it's my big sister. I absolutely love my sister, but she was always the petite beautiful one, then over the last few years she kept putting on the pounds and last time I saw her I couldn't believe how big she was, and I realize I could easily give up and look like her in just a short time. She was smaller but we just to get confused as twins- now people no longer think we are related :( So as hard as it is to control what I eat daily, I know I can because I've done other things that were harder, and I know I have to or accept gaining so much weight others wouldn't recognize me anymore. Maybe, I can also show her that she can also be small again. You can do it, just take it one small step at a time.