Yoga Clothing

Options
Hi! I've recently joined a yoga studio as part of my new fitness plan to get in shape. (I'm trying to lose 35-40 pounds.) However, I don't want to wear the typical tight fitting yoga pants. I've been to the typical shops (Lululemon and Athleta), but all of their pants are very form fitting. Does anyone have any suggestions? Sorry if this post is in the wrong section.

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Wear whatever you feel comfortable in, that isn't too drapey (just because you don't want to trip over yourself). Something like pj pants and a tshirt would work just fine.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Wear what you find comfortable and can move around in. I would suggest though not to pick something too baggy on top if you don't want it falling down when you're in any upside down positions.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Kohl's has some capri-length pants that are "loosely body skimming" or "semi-fitted", not clingy.
  • BTClan
    BTClan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yoga can definitely help with weight loss. I started practicing 6 months ago and am down 40 pounds. When I started I wore looser fitting yoga pants but as the weight has come off I'm more comfortable with tighter clothes. The weight loss is great but I have been very excited about the strength, muscle tone and flexibility that I'm starting to see. Just wear what you are comfortable with. Doesn't matter what others think. :)
  • mnorv
    mnorv Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Prana gym shorts, t-shirt w/sleeves cut off. In the process of doing 30 day yoga challenge.
  • Neverland21
    Neverland21 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm trying to avoid the typical tight fitting leggings or shorts that most people wear.
  • Jacqui_Runs
    Jacqui_Runs Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I got athletic wear at old navy, and while they fit my form, they are not tight. You want to be sure that your instructor can see your body and make any corrections. I like the Capri pants. Try them out, and I hope you find something you like!
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    It's important for the instructor to be able to check your form and tighter clothes help with this, plus they're easier to get bendy in. Harem pants can work instead of tights, provided that they're very stretchy. Lose shirts will fall over your head in lots of poses. Maybe wear a camisole under them if you don't want your torso exposed. Or find shirts which are looser but have a tighter hem. ASOS could be a good place to look.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    If you get looser pants, it's better if they're cropped so the teacher can see (and correct) your form. That's the main reason to wear tight clothes in yoga, to make sure form is ok (& so it doesn't fall down in inverted poses).
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I would say wear a T-shirt that fits well enough to not lift up during movements and sweat pants if you have them. Walmart has some pants by Danskin that are as close to sweat pants as you are going to get in the summer. Something called Dri-more.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm trying to avoid the typical tight fitting leggings or shorts that most people wear.

Seriously, Kohl's has plenty of options. (ETA--those are three different links.)

Heck, they even have yoga harem pants if you *really* want baggy.
  • AZnewbie00
    AZnewbie00 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I always wear loose fitting capri pants that I find at Walmart or Target. I hate spandex. I also buy plain t shirts to wear. You can wear anything thats comfortable just not too loose.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I love skorts! Wear them for everything!
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    You should try to find a harem style pant, they're loose, but fitted at the bottom, so they wont slide up and down your leg. Somethng like this:

tGP8lLE.jpg

4TMzjE8.jpg
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I wear a pair of board shorts.

Seriously, it's Yoga - the fashion police won't lock you up and throw away the key!
  • bodymindmusic
    bodymindmusic Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Danskin yoga pants and shirts at walmart. They go up to plus sizes. They rock and are comfy, last through lots of washings and are cheap. I always watch the clearance racks for good deals.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I bought a pair of Capri length sweatpants an Old Navy, and a tank top with a loose t shirt over that. Works fine for me.
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    PJ pants and a t-shirt would work just fine. Just be sure to tuck in your shirt, don't want to give a room of strangers a show when you do an inversion.

As others have said, letting the instructor see your body position is important. It is so easy to be slightly out of alignment when you are beginning. Heck, even experts need adjustments once in a while. This is part of the instructors job.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    to baggy and they slide up. SO find something in the middle.

My friend makes great super comfie harem pants- I highly recommend them- I use them ALL THE TIME for dance and yoga. http://dwebbdesigns.com/

also come on- small business for the win!!!