New to myfitnesspal

Options
mfi28
mfi28 Posts: 6 Member
Hi I am new to this site. I currently have a weight watchers membership and am looking to try this site out. I have about 30lbs to loose. Does anyone find it easier to plan out what you are going to eat for the day or do you just go with the flow? Any tips would be helpful!! Thanks!

Replies

• miss_melissa_
    Options
    I use to plan out everything but things would come up. I think it is easier to go with the flow. If I know I am going out to eat then I will try to look at the menu before but that is as far as I take planning. I pretty much know what is healthy and what is not. good luck with your journey!
  • askme12
    askme12 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I tend to go with the flow, the main things I tend to eat daily are yogurt, bananas, and nuts. I tend to not deprive myself of anything I want. I cut back sweets, fast-food, and soda, but if I want any of it I just make sure to watch the portions and workout.
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    Welcome to the site. I usually eat breakfast and lunch then entet it to see what calories I have left to plan for dinner. But you will find what works for you.:smile:
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I don't plan down to the dime, and I've learned alot about food on this site. Sometimes, I think something is low calorie- and it wasn't. So, I don't eat it (while I'm on the weightloss wagon, anyway).

I recommend the book series "Buy this/Cook this/Eat this...Not That". Those books helped me alot too. Also, magazines like Shape & Cooking Light have internet sites with alot of free recipes and information.

This site has a "complete" button on the food diary page. I highly recommend it. (I just figured it out). It tells you what you'll weigh in 5 weeks if you ate like today every day! Highly motivational, and long enough out that I don't want to quit.

I never did weight watchers, so I don't know how they compare. But, many people lose weight on it. I heard someone say that baby back ribs were like a week worth of points! I sometimes make them, but I use Stubbs sauce (again, learned about it from those books I mentioned) and finding good recipes on Cooking Light. Especially on the holidays, it's my go to place for festive food.

So, how do I plan meals? First, I find my local grocery store's weekly sale paper (on their website). Whatever is on sale (like meat, veggies, fruits), I try to buy. Then, I go to a site like Cooking Light or Shape to find good, healthy recipes. It takes some time, but I enjoy eating. And, what else would I do other then meal planning? Probably watch tv (or play piano). I try to make 2 or 3 brand new dishes a week, to ease boredom. I have the standard fare or leftovers. I am a now a big fan of leftovers, it's less calories and less waste. (I used to eat the leftovers rather then throw them out).
  • erica1178
    erica1178 Posts: 1
    Options
    I tend to just go with the flow, the more u use the site u will get a good idea of what to eat and what not.. You will find out what works best for you. Good luck!!