Can you help me avoid SBS (Salad Boredom Syndrome)?

Options
2»

Replies

• borys12
    borys12 Posts: 98
    Options
    I love salads, all my meals excluding fruit snacks are salads. I mix whatever I have : tuna, chicken, radish, onion, lettuce, corn, cucumber, tomato and so on. Everytime something different , no two the same ones. I used to add low fat mayonnaise, but changed to just mixed herbs. So it ended without any dressing - and I like it !
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    My lunch salad almost every workday is the following:

Spinach
    Grilled chicken or shrimp
    cucumber
    broccoli
    black beans
    kalamata olives
    Salsa

Salsa makes an awesome dressing replacement, BTW. Strangely enough, I have been eating this for a couple of months now, and have not gotten tired of it yet. One of my other faves is taco salad (minus the sour cream).
  • saadler
    saadler Posts: 116
    Options
    I like mixed greens with a low-fat raspberry vinaigrette, maybe some chopped pecans or something, and craisins! Tomatoes and cucumbers are good in it too.
  • thatgirlLeah
    thatgirlLeah Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm LOVING all of these fun ideas! Biggest surprise so far: raw squash. Really? Wow! Now I've got to try that. Keep 'em coming! :happy:
  • hannahbaby417
    Options
    Avocado is where it's at : )
  • brneydgrlie
    Options
    I also love to make chickpea salad, like this:

Canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    Cucumber, quartered and sliced
    Grape tomatoes, halved
    Olive oil
    Balsalmic vinegar
    Basil, oregano, cumin, onion powder, black pepper, and garlic to taste
    Toss everything together in a large bowl.

It is actually better a few hours after you make it, because all the herbs and spices blend together.
  • shufie
    shufie Posts: 11
    Options
    bump!
  • Gettinfit2
    Gettinfit2 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorite combos over spinach or lettuce are as follows:

Black beans, corn, red onion,j jalepeno peppers and Tortilla strips

Beets, Eggs and Spinach

Avocado, egg and red onions

Gouda Cheese, walnuts, cranberries and spinach

Chicken, Chinese Cabbage, bean spourts, green onions and peanuts or chinese noodles

Cucumber, Tomato and blue cheese

Almost any Newman's salad dressing.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Vary your choice of greens; spinach, arugula, watercress, romaine, spring mix, cabbage, even blanched kale.
    Veg the topic is endless, peas, corn, mushrooms, cucumber, carrots......
    Nuts : walnut sunflower, almond, pecan
    Cheese ( a little goes a long way) feta, parmesan
    Pickles : ginger, gherkins, kosher dill, beets
    Protien: fish, chicken, eggs, beef, even a bit of lean pork, or tofu
    Fruit: tomato (grape, cherry, roma, beefsteak), avocado, dried cranberries, strawberries
    Beans: black beans, chickpeas, lentils, red kidney beans
    Grains, cous cous, brown rice, wild rice, quinoa

I make my dressings with oils or fats and acids: Braggs apple cider vinegar, lime juice, lemon juice, sesame oils, walnut oil, olive oil, pickle juice, feta cheese and avocado. I also mix in berries for fruity dressings.

The possibilities are endless

Tip; adding avocado to a salad increases the body's ability to take in nutrients from the other veg in your salad.
  • brneydgrlie
    Options
    You also might like a salad with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, chicken, sunflower kernels, strawberries, mandarin oranges, and vinaigrette dressing.
  • smackie01
    smackie01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    my cousin made me a dressing using olive oil and white balsamic vinegar. I use it all the time now. Sometimes I just add a little bit of cherry balsamic vinegar to it and it gives it a little kick. So easy. Good luck to you!
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I've fallen in love with the cobb salad
  • whisper99_1
    Options
    Here's a quick and easy one that I got out of the 400 calorie fix cookbook.
    1 1/2 cups Dole Asian Island Crunch Salad Kit (130 calories)
    3 oz Light Tuna, packed in water (90 calories)
    2 Tbsp Newman's Own Low Fat Family Recipe Italian Dressing (60 calories) (I couldn't find this kind at my grocery so I use Ken's Steak House Lite Northern Italian with Basil & Romano. It has 50 calories in 2 Tbsp)

The salad kit has almond slices, chow main noodles and dried pineapple to mix in with the salad and the pineapple really goes well with the tuna! Of course their ginger dressing that they pack with it goes to waste, but it's well worth it!
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Great ideas. I like to sneak some fruit into my salad. Why not pieces of an orange? Or a chopped up apple?
  • jen_42
    jen_42 Posts: 26
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar is yummy on salad..just use a lil tho..also in aus we have flavoured tuna..the best one i love is indian tandori tuna...is awsome..im not a fan of iceburg lettuce.. i love oak leaf..which has a ton of flavour..grated carrot..tomato..yummm

another salad i make is a light version of cesear salad...lettuce..light ham chopped..carrot..every salald i have MUST have carrot..dont ask me why..just has to have it..i also get there called PANE TOSCANO traditional pizza bruschettina..there individual half kind of long rolls which have been toasted..i pop it into the toaster to cook and break that up into it..then sprinkle a little grated parmansan cheese..you can get it fresh already grated..then no fat cesear salad dressing lighly drizzled over..yummmmmmmmm

hope they help.. :wink:
  • Chikeebabe
    Chikeebabe Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    This one is - Yummylicious

1/2C. Sliced Strawberries
    1/4C. Goat Cheese
    1/4C. Slivered Almonds
    Greens
    1tsp. Olive Oil
    1tsp. Vinegar (your choice - balsamic, red wine...whatever you like)
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse Farms Yogurt Dressings - my favorite. Creamy & low calorie.
  • BarnDogBob
    BarnDogBob Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Gotta add some snap and flavor to the salad.

I like fresh green pepper, cucumber and for the flavor part I gotta have Calamata olives and sunflower kernels. A little light ranch and it is perfect.

And if you have some leftover protein, like chicken breast, heat is and top it. Yummm
  • GiniN
    GiniN Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Summer Chicken and Fruit Salad

Build as follows:

Put a bed of Spring Mix or Herb Salad on the plate. Then layer on:

Cantaloupe and/or Honeydew slices
    1/2 cup blackberries (or grapes, or rasberries)
    2 to 4 oz. shredded chicken

Top with dressing of lowfat/nonfat poppyseed dressing, mixed with equal portion plain yogurt

ALT - Top with any lowfat/nonfat honey dijon dressing
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    LOL...SBS....that is great! FANTASTIC TOPIC!!

I LOVE salad...I love creating salads..I Love trying different dressings, different ingredients...Often times, my salads turn out to be a lot of vegetables with some lettuce...But you can add SOOOOO much to a salad and keep it healthy!

My newest favorite topping is CORN...Frozen corn that is steamed slightly (not to the point of softness...it still has a little crunch)

Please feel free to look in my diary for any suggestions...I eat salad often, and I log each ingredient individually...