Am I eating enough calories?? Need help

Options
hi I've been on map for a couple of months but not having the success I expected! I am from today doing to start weighing everything to see if that's where I am going wrong. I am 171 lbs on 1200 calories, I've put myself down as active, walk 6-12 miles at work 3 days and have been walking 6 miles recently as often as I can on days off- I expected to lose 2lb p/w this last 2 weeks but haven't, can any one give me any pointers please? Thanks in advance x

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    47 yo female - height ? How many calories are you eating (actual food, not net) ? Open diary might help. Any thyroid or other medical issues ?
  • jobohoneybunch
    jobohoneybunch Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying 5'6 how do I open my diary?
  • yarwell
    Options
    Diary, Settings, scroll down to bottom left, set to Public
  • yarwell
    Options
    Going out on the bike, so I ran your numbers and I think you would use about 1400 calories a day +/- 10% lying at rest. So if you're eating less than 1400 and doing the walking etc there should be a deficit between what you use and what you eat. Others will no doubt comment on your logging.

I don't think you can eat too little (within reason). If your metabolic rate is a couple of hundred low you should still lose weight eating 1200, due to the exercise and normal activity.

Have a nice day.
  • jobohoneybunch
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the reply yarwelI shall open up my diary now! If anyone else has an advice please comment x
  • Krystle1984
    Krystle1984 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I walk 6 miles plus every day and am only set to lightly active. This works for me. It seems you're set to active, but don't move as much on all your days off? If you're really only eating 1200 calories a day it shouldn't make much difference to you, but how are you determining calories in? Do you use a scale to weigh all your food? You may be eating more than you realise.

Also, how much are you trying to lose? If it isn't a lot aiming for 2lbs a week may be too much.

Opening your diary will get you better answers. :)
  • jobohoneybunch
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi thanks for replying
    Yes that's the only thing I can think of! I am going to be extra vigilant in my weighing from now on as this could be why, I am using mfp to determine calories tho haven't been weighing meat- I'd like to lose 30 lbs, haven't done as much walking this week coz little one didn't want to come with me so this week I'm going to use excel isle bike and aerobic step, tracking with my fitness pal!
    I have opened my diary if you want to have a peek!
    FEEL NAKED!!
  • msfoxy_25
    msfoxy_25 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    are you logging your exercise? If you set yourself as active I wouldn't log walking. Also do you weigh/measure your food to make sure your getting the right portions? Portion distortion is a huge problem for many.
  • jobohoneybunch
    Options
    Hi thanks for replying
    Yes my exercise automatically comes thru from map my fitness and very rarely eat the calories
  • Krystle1984
    Krystle1984 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Your diary is still private. I would set your goal to lose 1lb a week, weigh all your food for 3-4 weeks and eat back up to 50% of your exercise calories if you want. Double check the database entries for food you're using are correct too.

If you still haven't lost any weight in that time then reassess. Weight loss isn't linear and it will take time, but be patient and you'll get there. I've lost 18lbs so far and have 38 to go so we're not so far apart in terms of goals. I'm expecting it to take me a year to get there. Slow and steady wins the race!

Good luck! :)
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Hi thanks for replying
    Yes my exercise automatically comes thru from map my fitness and very rarely eat the calories

If you're already set to active due to the walking and have linked your account with Map My Fitness, which gives you extra calories for the walking, you're counting it twice. Either set your activity level lower or disconnect Map My Fitness.

Beyond that, agree with @Krystle1984: 1lb a week goal, weigh everything and reassess in about a month.
  • jobohoneybunch
    Options
    Krystle1984 and Lift and balance
    Thanks for your advice! I will alter my activity level and reasses in 4 weeks
    Krystle1984 I have added you as a friend! Thanks x
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary? Also, you definitely want to start weighing your food, as without doing so, you have no idea how much you're eating.
  • hannahkingfitness
    hannahkingfitness Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If you feel tired and sluggish, up your calorie intake to 1400
  • yarwell
    Options
    If you feel tired and sluggish, up your calorie intake to 1400

No. She didn't mention either of those things but isn't losing weight. More calories will not help.

Diary still closed ;-)
  • jobohoneybunch
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi thanks for yr replies, not feeling tired n sluggish, feeling great! - I thort I had opened my diary yesterday- I have checked now and it should be done! I hadn't altered my privacy settings!
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply yarwelI shall open up my diary now! If anyone else has an advice please comment x
    Its kind of crazy, but you really do need to eat a full 1200 cals a day in lean protein and veggies to lose weight. I eat back half my calories in potato chips. It works

• liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I think you are going too hard. Weigh yourself once a month, max.
  • royalgigi80
    royalgigi80 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Do you allow your stomach growl before you eat something? I notice for me that if I don't allow my body to get fully hungry between meals/snacks I may be eating when I am not truly hungry and tend not to lose if I don't wait for that growl. I know everyone is different and true hunger signals are different for each person. Just a thought :)
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You should be lightly active and need to STOP counting your walking or else sedentary and counting your walking. You're burning way, way less than you suppose! You're at LEAST double-counting your burns!

You're also eating more, since you don't weight your meat!

I don't hit active walking 4 miles a day on a treadmill AND running 4.5 miles a day.