How long have you maintained your goal weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    1. How long have you maintained your goal weight? 3 years

2. How did you do it? The same way I lost it, but with a higher calorie budget. When I'm in a routine and eating the same things all of the time, so I know what calorie intake is, I take a break from logging, but when I start changing habits or am up 2 pounds, I start looking at portion sizes and start logging again.

3. Do you check your weight often? Or measure? How often?
    I weigh several times per week and re-focus if I'm +/- 2 pounds from goal weight.

• Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    About 5 years, except during last two pregnancies when I lost too much and dipped below my ideal. I never had a significant amount to lose, just changed how I ate and got back into lifting/running, reshaped my body, got strong, only counted calories for about 6 months and quickly realized that wasn't my problem, so I still don't count. I stay super active, eat a lot, eat everything I enjoy, watch portion sizes. If I didn't work out I'd be way overweight. I only see my weight when I go to the Dr, I go by how my clothes fit. After a vaca or like last month when I was injured and not moving as much, I just eat accordingly. But it's not hard as I'm not as hungry.
  • _reno_
    _reno_ Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    1) I have stayed within 10lbs of my goal weight for almost 5 years.
    2) I developed an eating routine and a feel for how much I should eat that makes it easier to maintain without constant monitoring
    3) I check my weight / body fat a few times per week.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    RaspberryTickleChicken Posts: 629 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    1. How long have you maintained your goal weight?
    Two years & counting this August 10th - YAY!

2. How did you do it?
    • My goal was never to lose X weight by X time nor did I EVER go on a "diet."
    • My goal was always to get healthy & as far away from being pre-diabetic as humanly possible. Loosing the weight was an added bonus.
    • I made very calculated incremental changes to my life because I wanted this metamorphosis to be a permanent one. Therefore whatever changes I made whether to my nutrition or activity it had to be sustainable over time ... as in the rest of my life.
    • By nature, I'm fairly seditary. I'm not a fan of the gym or exercise in general. So I started slow. 15 minutes twice a week because anyone can do anything for 15 minutes. When that became second nature (by this I mean like getting in the car & automatically putting on a seat-belt sort of automatic mode - without thinking) I bumped it to 30 minutes three times etc.
    • With eating I swapped out what was the easiest first. ie. No more than 10 calories a day from what I drink. So goodbye soda, goodbye Starbucks. Then I slowly looked for more nutritious rich options to what I like to eat. ie. Sandwich for lunch at work is the easiest. Instead of Sara Lee Whole Grain White bread at a whopping 120 calories 25g Carbs 3g Sugar for 2 slices I substituted it with Aunt Millies at 70 calories 19g Carbs 1 Sugar for two slices. So by simply swapping out my bread choice I saved 50 calories a day, 6g in Carbs, & 2 in Sugar. I continued to slowly swap out my staples to find more nutritious versions until I came to my beloved it Rice! OMG that was SO hard because I literally grew up eating rice almost 3 meals a day! But I knew I had to give it up so I tried quinoa. It was good enough substitute that within the month I no longer craved white rice! It was more psychologically harder for me than anything else to be quite honest.
    • And lastly, I practice a variation of the 80/20 Rule. This saved my sanity! LOL It liberated my sense of guilt when I indulge - yes WHEN not IF. It is INDEED a Jedi mind trick ... because I gave myself permission to indulge I found that I no longer obsessed about indulging. Does that make sense? It's kind of like that proverbial fruit, the more someone (me) tells me I can't have it the more I want or need it. It's human nature. This approach also allows me to strike a balance which I don't think I have EVER had before.

• While losing I checked my weight religiously, every Sunday morning before the gym after bathroom, in the same workout clothes. Weight for me was the easiest measure of progress.
    • Now in maint I check about once or twice a month unless something is particularly snug around the waist then I see if the clothes shrunk from the dryer or is it me who got bigger. lol If it's me I review my food diary over the past 2 weeks and usually I can see the cause so I make adjustments and I'm back. That's is why logging for me is closely intertwined with my maint success because I'm not going to be on par 100% of the time ... no one can. So the logging helps me remember 'oh yea we had two sleepovers that week where we had pizza & wings and a bday with cake & buttercream frosting' etc.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    A little over 2 years.

2. How did you do it?

Diet:
    - Keeping track of what I eat everyday.
    - Not "dieting", but being mindful of portion sizes, rarely drinking calories and knowing caloric estimates in foods.
    - No snacking. 2 - 3 filling meals a day keeps me happy and satisfied.
    - Eating a well-balanced diet. No macros too high or too low.
    - Eating at a slight deficit during the week and going slightly over during the weekends.
    - Close the kitchen after a certain time. As a former mindless after dinner snacker, this helped train me to stop eating because I was bored or watching tv. Now I go out for walks or workout instead.

Exercise:
    - Staying active daily (Walking, lifting, bodyweight exercises, exercise videos, ice skating, tennis etc.)
    - Continually making new fitness goals and trying new workouts.
    - Working out at home. I have no excuses not to workout like in the past (weather, too tired, lose my intensity etc.). It's very convenient, comfortable and I'm the only one using my own things.

Other:
    - Not focusing on scale weight, but on fitness and getting healthy.
    - Stay consistent, continue reading and researching about health and fitness news etc. and always remain humble i.e. never forget where I came from and my former struggles being overweight/obese.

When I was losing I weighed and logged it every Friday morning. I took my measurements every other week.

Now I weigh about once a month if that and take measurements twice a month.

Everything I did during weight loss mode I made sure I could continue and keep up with it after reaching my goal. For me that meant no extreme workouts and no extreme change in eating habits. This has made maintaining my 80 lb. weight loss go pretty smoothly for the most part.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Maintained for 6+ years with a 5 lb range.
    Gone under it once and never gone over.

I come back and log every once in a while when I think my weight is going up or down. Generally that is when my exercise routine changes.
    I have nearly always made my own meals, and don't eat huge portions if I do eat out. Desert and wine are my downfall, and that is what I cut back on if I think I am gaining. ( could never exclude them!)

When I started I did formal exercises year round. Now I don't go to the gym during the summer, I garden, then start back up in the gym September/ October. I have done that the past two years and it works well for me.

When I am logging I weigh daily, first thing; when I am not logging I weigh myself when I remember to.

I think my 30 lb gain was the anomaly, and my body likes the weight I returned to, as maintaining is not to difficult for me.

Cheers, h.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    paris458 wrote: »
    about 5 years ago I lost 40lbs. I monitored my weight almost every day because at first I seemed real sensitive to gaining weight. but I have kept it off.

Just chiming in to.say, Way to.go!!!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    brynnsmom wrote: »
    Maintained for over four years. Just followed MFP, exercised regularly (and "ate back" exercise calories). I prefer to weigh in weekly.

Way to.go to.you too! (I think long-term maintenance deserves a huge pat on the back!)
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    1. How long have you maintained your goal weight? I originally lost 174 lbs in 2009-2010 and kept that off for 4 years, even after a pregnancy. Then I had my 2nd kid late last year and I've been working on losing the 65 lbs I gained with him. I'm about 3-ish lbs away now from going into maintenance mode again.

2. How did you do it? I weighed 4x/week, protein first, then fat then carbs, smaller more frequent meals, checked my blood sugar every other morning and night, exercise 5 days/week.

3. Do you check your weight often? Or measure? How often? 4x/week weighing, measuring 1x/fortnight.

*I have medical issues and dietary restrictions as to why I have to eat the way I do, advised by a few different doctors. It's just what works for ME, not everyone else.*

I'm excited to get back into maintenance again. I hate dieting and don't mind maintenance, because I feel like I have a pretty good grasp of how to do it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

2. How did you do it?

1. I've been maintaining +-5Lbs for bout 14 years so far

2. I did it by reducing the heavily refined foods (mostly heavily refined carbs), and dramatically increasing my consumption of whole foods. I basically learned how to eat a healthy, nutrient dense diet. I learned how to cook whole foods. I did it to lose. I do it still.
    I apparently ate at a deficit while I was losing (I wasn't counting).
    I move more.
    I focus more of my attention on my strength training than I had before

3. I weigh daily. I measure once in a while.
  • TracyV125
    TracyV125 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    1) I lost 48 lbs (May 2014-Jan 2015) and have been successfully maintaining since Feb 2015 - 5 months

2) Just continued what I was doing while losing (healthier choices, smaller portions and exercising). When I changed my MFP goal from lose to maintain I went from 1200 calories to 1570. I've continued to log daily and have been successful with their recommendation.

3) I weigh myself every morning. I don't obsess over what the scale shows I just use the number as a learning tool. I've learned a lot about how my body works and reacts to certain foods throughout this journey.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Personally I found that I don't do well to focus on 'working out'. I do need to make improvements in terms of strength training and such - but mainly I focus on activity. Making sure I'm not a slug lol. The key to that is finding an activity that you enjoy, whether with others or alone.

This is the opposite for me! I love to just sit on the couch and binge watch shows or mess around on the internet in my down time. But, I also LOVE going to the gym as part of my routine. 4 mornings a week before work and jogging at home on the weekends unless I just get too lazy, which happens intermittently.
  • JeanCricket
    JeanCricket Posts: 156 Member
    Options

-10 months :)

2. How did you do it?
    - Daily MFP logging
    - Continued MFP plan, gradually upping calories until stopped losing weight
    - Set maintenance range of 5 pounds (GW + 2 pounds under / 2 pounds over)
    - Continued cardio

- Weigh in every Wednesday morning, just like I did during weight loss phase

• shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have maintained my goal weight for over 2 years now. I lost over 200 pounds and now I am focused on improving my overall fitness and getting more toned. I haven't weighed myself since my last doctor's appointment about 8 months ago. I used to be obsessed with weighing myself several times a day but for me, it was not good for my emotional health. A few months ago, I felt my suit pants getting a little tight so I did more cardio and watched my food intake and in a few weeks, my pants were looser again. I check my measurements regularly but I get really stressed out with a scale. I do both cardio and lifting weights.

I routinely test my fitness level with a 2 mile run or mile swim. I also lift weights a lot and do some body weight exercises. If I can do more pull-ups or push ups than I could do before, I'm on the right track.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,442 Member
    Options
    two months or so. Though I still haven't quite found my maintenance calories as I had a surprise whoosh yesterday and reached a new low weight. I still weigh every morning as anaemia seems to be assiciated with non-whoosh-y weight loss with me.
  • GoodLittleEater
    GoodLittleEater Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    What a great thread lalalalaurie!
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    2 years

Tracked for most of the time, but I've been on loads of vacations and taken time off, including right now where I dont track, and havent had a problem maintaining without it.

I weigh anywhere from 1-4 times/week. I rely much more on my clothes than the scale to make sure Im where I want to be
  • saggyandbaggy
    saggyandbaggy Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is the place to ask - was moving to maintenance hard? I have reached my goal (lost 130lbs) but I am finding it very hard to consider eating more..... as if I don't trust myself with those extra calories!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    3 years. I kept logging, walk every day and hit my goals. It's not rocket science.

40 pounds down.