Creative clothing tips for when you are in-between sizes?

Options

Replies

• ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    No idea what "curvy girl" is... Those specialty lines (slim fit, curvy, whatever) are all subjective. Just go with an elastic waistband or a dress. :)
  • HummingNutter
    HummingNutter Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    All good suggestions! Thank you all :)
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Hemming tape, needle and thread. I've taken in a few inexpensive things on my own and they're wearable.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I take my work clothes to a seamstress who adjusts/takes in tops and pants for one or two sizes. She is fairly cheap and definitely worth it, considering the time and money I spent finding them/taking care of them.
    When I shop for new clothes, I buy things that I know she can tailor down to the next size when I have lost a few more pounds.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I buy from thrift stores as I'm shrinking- saves money and you can find some interesting things.
  • Vanyahiril
    Vanyahiril Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Maybe go with flowy bohemian type styles? They come with a lot my elastic waist/ties, plus airy, so they don't trap as much heat.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    ohmscheeks wrote: »
    No idea what "curvy girl" is... Those specialty lines (slim fit, curvy, whatever) are all subjective. Just go with an elastic waistband or a dress. :)

Around here the curvy pants are typically smaller in the waist and roomier in the thigh/butt area.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,985 Member
    Options
    Leggings (just past the knee) + short skirts or long tops. That's my favourite warm weather style.

But do not wear leggings with a short top ... I've seen a few people do that, and it is just ... not ... right. I'm guessing they must not own a full-length mirror or they wouldn't appear in public like that.

However, wear them with skirt or long top, and they are quite attractive. :)

I get my leggings from Target or Big W or K-Mart, but I get most of my skirts from Op Shops.
  • 123sockmonkey123
    123sockmonkey123 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    P.S. A "fupa" is the area below your lower stomach. It stands for fat upper p-$$! area.
  • HummingNutter
    Options
    P.S. A "fupa" is the area below your lower stomach. It stands for fat upper p-$$! area.
    Where I come from its used to describe a mid to lower belly pouch, Not what you are describing. We have another name for those, but I will not repeat it here. *Notice the difference is spelling Foo-Pa?*
  • readyornot1234
    readyornot1234 Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this OP. I feel the same way. I didn't know there was a name for it. FUPA. Who knew? I just call it the "fat part of my belly." I had a hysterectomy in September and they used my 28 year old C-section scar. The belly fat there shrunk a whole lot easier 28 years ago! Just hanging down now! Yuck.

I'm having the same problem with shorts. So I am trying skirts. But I don't like my thighs rubbing together. So I have found the lightest pair of generic spank type undies that go down my thighs without riding up.

However, for hiking, I went to a Columbia outlet. They have light weight hiking pants and shorts with drawstrings. I love them. But I don't really feel comfortable wearing them for anything other than walking/hiking -- all other times I am in skirts now.
  • khaleesikhaleesi
    khaleesikhaleesi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Dresses are my saving grace. Especially jersey dresses from H&M. If you are uncomfortable with showing your legs (which I was for a long time), you can wear tights or leggings underneath, or just buy long beach dresses since it's the right time of year!
  • HummingNutter
    Options
    I don't wear any shape ware, it makes me feel like I'm being confined, I'm the same way about turtle necks and coats in cars.
  • Dariasen
    Dariasen Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Would high waisted shorts work to kind of hold in the belly? Stretch is good but may make the stomach more noticeable. Although yoga-style shorts and capris do tend to have the tummy minimized thing also..

Where the waists sit make all the difference for me. I am a very comfortable16 in high waist but a very tight 18 in regular or hip wasit pants. A little spandex in the material helps smooth things out, although I have learned to accept my foo-pa. I do have a ton of leggings as well but I prefer jeans for most days.
    **FYI: I found that Forever21 has great prices on the high waist stuff if you ever want to try it out.
  • grangerka
    grangerka Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I had to google foo-pa.... so innocent!
  • grangerka
    grangerka Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    PS. I think I have one too....
  • kellydavis970
    kellydavis970 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Ugh! Shorts are the worst! They don't fit anybody nicely. I try to stick to skirts/dresses/and leggings
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Where I come from its used to describe a mid to lower belly pouch, Not what you are describing. We have another name for those, but I will not repeat it here. *Notice the difference is spelling Foo-Pa?*

That's how we describe FUPA here - the lower stomach part, but it stands for exactly what sockmonkey said. This is so ridiculous, but here's a pic for clarity lmao!
    1ecxjksyrym2.jpg

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    I take my work clothes to a seamstress who adjusts/takes in tops and pants for one or two sizes. She is fairly cheap and definitely worth it, considering the time and money I spent finding them/taking care of them.
    When I shop for new clothes, I buy things that I know she can tailor down to the next size when I have lost a few more pounds.

Another vote for a tailor.

I often get things altered - sandal straps that aren't tight enough, pants that are too long, sleeveless shirts with a big arm gap that shows my bra. It's quicker and easier for me to find something close enough and alter it than to search for the perfect fit.

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    I vote for trying non-curvy pants. Curvy pants are made for people with SMALLER pants, not larger! :)

For shorts--elastic waists or drawstrings.