Bride to be - trying to slim down for May 2016 wedding - looking for other brides to be!

Options
Hiya,

I am 27 and a UK size 16. I am trying to use this app to help me eat better and slim down for my wedding in May next year. I would like to speak to other brides to be who are also slimming for the big day for support and advice.
What have you done about finding "The dress"... I am desperate to go looking and trying them on, however I don't want to fall in love with one and pay a small fortune on alterations when I reach my goal of size 10/12.

Thank you xx

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I'm not a bride, and I've never been married, but I can help.

OP what are your current stats and what is your goal weight?

You have 42 weeks until the 1st of May, 2016. So you've come at a good time... people who have weddings usually come to MFP when there is 5 weeks left or something.

Enter your details into MFP.

Set it for 0.5lb to 1.5lb loss per week (I needed to know your goal weight and current weight for this)

When you do exercise and you burn off calories, eat 50-75% of these back.

Eat what you want in moderation.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    this is my standard advice:

1. Enter stats into MFP and set for x amount of weight loss.
    2. Eat to the number that MFP gives you.
    3. get a food scale and weigh all solid foods, and as many liquids as possible.
    4. log everything
    5. make sure that you are using correct MFP database entries
    6. realize that there are no bad foods and that while the majority of foods should come from nutrient dense sources, there is nothing wrong with having pizza, ice cream, cookies, etc, as long as ones micro and macro needs are met.
    7. macro setting are typically .85 grams of protein per pound of body weight; .45 grams of fat per pound of body weight; fill in rest with carbs.
    8. find a form of exercise that you like and do it < not necessary for weight loss, but is for overall health and body comp.

couple stickies I would recommend:

Recomposition:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/33125652#Comment_33125652

Bulking:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10049766/bulking-a-complete-guide-for-beginners

sidesteels guide:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

You have 42 weeks until the 1st of May, 2016. So you've come at a good time... people who have weddings usually come to MFP when there is 5 weeks left or something.

Set it for 0.5lb to 1.5lb loss per week (I needed to know your goal weight and current weight for this)

this too
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

this too

ayy ;)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eat at a caloric deficit and you'll definitely lose.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I came back to MFP in April when my fiance and I set a date for June 2016 and I thought, "Ugh, wedding pictures."

I'm much older than you and have a different mindset about my wedding - I haven't even thought specifically about the dress yet - this is a second marriage for both of us and I am trying to keep it as small as possible. At one point I thought "Just the mothers" but my brother lives with mom, which means we'd have to invite my sister and my fiance's brother, and their families, so my latest thought is just to go to a JP, but my mother wants to go to that, and bring my brother...kill me now.

d030284a840206426cc071f635bb443f8ce8ef79d51a5578b9518920f0d3d08f.jpg

But having Wedding Pictures loom over me and a realistic time period of a year has been super helpful and I'm down 13.5 pounds since April. The wedding, whatever size it may turn out to be, has helped me with the motivation and dedication to make good eating decisions and to log scrupulously.
  • Krystle1984
    Krystle1984 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm not a bride to be, but a bridesmaid to be, does that count? ;)

You've already been given some solid advice, my tip would be not to get hung up on a time frame for losing weight. You have plenty of time to reach your goal, but if you make it all about reaching X weight/size by Y date then afterwards you will probably find you slip back to old habits and undo all your hardwork. Think of it more as a lifestyle change, one you can adopt for good.

Good luck! :)
  • oliviastrydom
    oliviastrydom Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm getting married in April 2016 and am a size 16/18, so I am in pretty much the same situation as you. I put off looking for a dress for ages as I knew I would feel fat and ugly when trying them on and wouldnt like any of them. However I've put it off as much as I can now and I have an appointment booked end of August as I need to order it soon to allow it time to arrive and get altered, as like you I plan on losing weight right up until the wedding. I have around 80lb to lose which I could reach by losing 2lb a week as I started dieting end of June. However I'll have to stop a month before so that the wedding dress fits right and isnt too loose so I doubt I will hit that target. I'm going to order my dress two sizes smaller (probably a 12 or 14 depending on what fits in the shop) because I feel confident I will lose the weight as the last three weeks I have been hitting my target. I can't give up as I don't have the time to start again, and this is a great motivator.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I came back to MFP in April when my fiance and I set a date for June 2016 and I thought, "Ugh, wedding pictures."

I'm much older than you and have a different mindset about my wedding - I haven't even thought specifically about the dress yet - this is a second marriage for both of us and I am trying to keep it as small as possible. At one point I thought "Just the mothers" but my brother lives with mom, which means we'd have to invite my sister and my fiance's brother, and their families, so my latest thought is just to go to a JP, but my mother wants to go to that, and bring my brother...kill me now.

d030284a840206426cc071f635bb443f8ce8ef79d51a5578b9518920f0d3d08f.jpg

But having Wedding Pictures loom over me and a realistic time period of a year has been super helpful and I'm down 13.5 pounds since April. The wedding, whatever size it may turn out to be, has helped me with the motivation and dedication to make good eating decisions and to log scrupulously.

You have a Fiance?? That's great! He's such a lucky man!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    When I got married I was a little shocked to find out the lead times on getting a wedding dress could run up to months ...I bought mine 3 months before my wedding and there was a lot of huffing and puffing in Pronuptia about I might have cut it too fine

So I'd ring round a few bridal shops and find out when you need to start looking ...also aim to be your target size by 4-6 weeks before for final alternations

As for losing weight NDJ has it covered, do that

And congratulations
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    In the uk, most dress shops want 6-9 months lead in time from when you order your dress.

If I was you I'd order a dress in your current size - alterations are usually a set price anyway once you need a certain amount of work doing. If you're really confident you'll lose then go one size smaller - generally wedding dress sizes are cut small.
  • kerijane88
    kerijane88 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I'm currently on day 32 of using this app (starting after an all inclusive holiday which had gained me a good few pounds). So I am 32 days in and have only lost 11 pounds so far. I have been sticking to the calorie allowance which is 1200, set to loose 2lb per week. I haven't cheated and I am quite addicted to making sure I am within the count. My lifestyle isnt very active. I work 4 day's a week in an estate agents, go to university and have a 3 year old boy so time goes so quickly I don't have any "spare time" to schedule exercise in!
    Can anyone recommend any more filling foods to try as my current meals are leaving me feeling hungry a lot of the time. Although I have no desire to cheat and snack when this happens I would like to try and eliminate that feeling of hunger in between meals.

Thank you again, everyone has been most helpful!
  • kerijane88
    Options
    In the uk, most dress shops want 6-9 months lead in time from when you order your dress.

If I was you I'd order a dress in your current size - alterations are usually a set price anyway once you need a certain amount of work doing. If you're really confident you'll lose then go one size smaller - generally wedding dress sizes are cut small.

Thank you.. I didn't know this, I think I assumed I could just pick one up with a few weeks to go.. oops. I am determined to be a size 12 by the wedding but as you say they are cut small. Maybe I will opt for a basque type top which can be altered easily.
  • kerijane88
    Options

Hiya. I am currently at 210 pound and hoping to lose a minimum of 50 by my hen party in April. Am I being realistic, if I stick to the calorie allowance of 1200 for the next 9-10 months and fit in some more fast pace walking.
  • pineapple_peach10
    pineapple_peach10 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am a bridesmaid and my friend (the bride) was told to order her dress a minimum of 9 months before the day. This way you can have 3 fittings and get any needed alterations.

Congrats! :)
  • Krystle1984
    Krystle1984 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    kerijane88 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone. I'm currently on day 32 of using this app (starting after an all inclusive holiday which had gained me a good few pounds). So I am 32 days in and have only lost 11 pounds so far. I have been sticking to the calorie allowance which is 1200, set to loose 2lb per week. I haven't cheated and I am quite addicted to making sure I am within the count. My lifestyle isnt very active. I work 4 day's a week in an estate agents, go to university and have a 3 year old boy so time goes so quickly I don't have any "spare time" to schedule exercise in!
    Can anyone recommend any more filling foods to try as my current meals are leaving me feeling hungry a lot of the time. Although I have no desire to cheat and snack when this happens I would like to try and eliminate that feeling of hunger in between meals.

Make sure you are eating plenty of protein and healthy fats as they will help you feel fuller. Lentils, beans, tofu, eggs and nuts are all good. (I'm vegetarian... Chicken is also excellent though apparently! Lol!)

50lbs should be doable in 10 months but bear in mind that as you get closer to your goal it will be harder to lose. You might also find it easier to switch your goal to a pound a week so you have more calories to play with. Starting with 1200 (the minimum recommended calorie intake for women) leaves you no room to cut down any further when you get closer to where you want to be and everything slows down. :)
  • Sued0nim
    edited July 2015
    Options

Weigh your food

Your target per week sounds high ..perhaps cut that down to 1-1.5lbs. Look to Fix your expectations ...11/4.5 weeks is 2.4lb per week...that's more than you should be losing if you want to preserve LBM (which you do)

Walk more

Get a fitbit or similar (basic model like a one or zip you can clip in your pocket or bra) and eat those too..then you can track your activity

Do some bodyweight exercises at home ..this is a good programme http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Ideally you should start a progressive heavy lifting programme too...it's muscles that make you taut and tight and give you killer shape

But the scale weight loss is down to your food so just keep weighing and measuring everything

UK food suggestions:
    two chicks egg whites, laughing cow light, warburtons farmhouse bread
    Total 0% Greek yogurts (with berries / honey)
    Oat so Simple porridge sachets
    BOL veggie pots over mixed salad leads ..thai coconut curry and lentil sambar are my favourites
    Lots of fresh veggies
    Chicken
    Check out skinnytaste.com for great recipes for the whole family
  • kerijane88
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Weigh your food

Your target per week sounds high ..perhaps cut that down to 1-1.5lbs. Look to Fix your expectations ...11/4.5 weeks is 2.4lb per week...that's more than you should be losing if you want to preserve LBM (which you do)

Walk more

Get a fitbit or similar (basic model like a one or zip you can clip in your pocket or bra) and eat those too..then you can track your activity

Do some bodyweight exercises at home ..this is a good programme http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Ideally you should start a progressive heavy lifting programme too...it's muscles that make you taut and tight and give you killer shape

But the scale weight loss is down to your food so just keep weighing and measuring everything

UK food suggestions:
    two chicks egg whites, laughing cow light, warburtons farmhouse bread
    Total 0% Greek yogurts (with berries / honey)
    Oat so Simple porridge sachets
    BOL veggie pots over mixed salad leads ..thai coconut curry and lentil sambar are my favourites
    Lots of fresh veggies
    Chicken
    Check out skinnytaste.com for great recipes for the whole family

Sorry... I'm new to these kinds of discussion.. what does LBM mean?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Lean body mass ...bones, organs and muscles

It's mainly muscle loss you need to be concerned with though

All scale weight lost is a combination of water, body fat and muscle

The less muscle you lose as you drop scale weight, the better for your overall body composition

This is a good example of the impact of denser muscle over body fat and how the body looks despite the scale ..bear in mind there are a couple of years between pictures (it's not me, it's a google image)

gwa5wb4rcklw.jpg

Also see http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • claireramsden88
    claireramsden88 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I get married at the end of January, I ordered my dress three months ago, they do generally say 9 months. They will take your measurements as you are, i have my next fitting in October when my dress has been made, she told me they can take it in by up to two dress sizes. I'd just had my second baby 4 months before so this works well for me as that's how much I want to drop. The sizes for wedding dresses are ridiculously small, I think a 12 is more like an 8 high street. I would set a date in your mind to start looking and really work to lose as much as possible by then. Also get a dress with a corset back, you look a size smaller straight away!! Good luck and I hope you find your perfect dress!! Xx