Keto adaption

Options
angellak
angellak Posts: 68 Member
How long did it take to get keto adapted? Can you exercise during the adaption process?

Replies

• kmblank
    kmblank Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think it takes about 3-5 days. You should be able to exercise...however your energy levels are going to be very low with the lack of carbohydrates. If you plan on exercising...eat some fat (Avocado) before the workout - that will give you some quick energy to get through the workout.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Keep your salt intake up to avoid "keto flu" issues. You can exercise within reason but if you're switching from fuelled by carbs to fuelled by fats you'll have reduced capacity for a while. I've read that it can take women up to a month to get fully adapted.

I never eat before exercise as I exercise to use body fat.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Keep your salt intake up to avoid "keto flu" issues. You can exercise within reason but if you're switching from fuelled by carbs to fuelled by fats you'll have reduced capacity for a while. I've read that it can take women up to a month to get fully adapted.

I never eat before exercise as I exercise to use body fat.

Lol, also a good way to increase proteolysis

http://mobile.journals.lww.com/nsca-scj/_layouts/oaks.journals.mobile/articleviewer.aspx?year=2011&issue=02000&article=00003#ath
  • elizabug_owens
    elizabug_owens Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey! I just completed my seventh day keto (first time ever) and am probably just now getting some energy throughout the day. I did exercise through all 7 days though, intensely, as I am comp prepping. Though it definitely varies person by person!
  • angellak
    angellak Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    It can take anywhere between 3 and 7 days to achieve ketosis. Many people get there in 3-5. Becoming fully adapted, though, where everything is humming along and you feel great, can take up to 4-6 weeks for some. Personally, I was exercising the beginning of the 2nd week. But I wasn't any where near "athlete" status. By the beginning of the 2nd month of Keto I was able to really step up the intensity and frequency of my workouts by quite a lot. Since then I do HIIT bodyweight workouts or dumbbell routines alternated with brisk walking or hiking 5 or 6 days a week. That's just my experience though. Others have had a different experience. I have zero trouble with energy for exercise. But I've been Keto for over 13 months.

I second the rec of keeping electrolyte balance in check. Low levels will cause fatigue and poor performance. Besides making you feel like crap. I avoided the Keto flu by keeping my levels up. Others have a harder time.